Love it or Lump it - post your feedback to individual blog posts on mtbs3D.com
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by Neil »

MetalQueen completed her movie review of Avatar!

http://www.mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/newsletter.cgi?news_id=91" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Share your thoughts.

Regards,
Neil

cybereality

Re: Avatar Movie Review

Post by cybereality »

Nice review. I saw the movie tonight as well and I was very pleased.

metalqueen

Post by metalqueen »

Thanks, cybereality!
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

nice review indeed!
Congratulations to the Avatar team! Let’s hope the sequel doesn’t take ANOTHER 14 years!
on the other hand if it does I can't even imagine the "next gen" version/sequel of avatar

"avatar 1 was so lame and graphically uninteresting compared to avatar2: the return"

Anyhow I'll be waiting months/years for the DVD cause I can't stand watching it with a ukrainian dub.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!

Kamus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kamus »

I liked the movie overall, best s3d ever (the most seamless too) and it's very entertaining. I won't go into those details here, people keep talking about how the story is weak. While the story itself keeps you entertained, here is WHY the story does suck in my opinion:

They kept bringing up how modern western lifestyle is the ultimate evil the whole movie.
Right from the start when the brother dies, Jake says something like:
"My brother got killed for the paper in his wallet" (as if to say that other cultures didn't have these kind of problems... THEY ALL DO. All except the the Navi, they don't seem to have this problem, of course he's comparing the Navi to human tribes.. that DO have this problem, weather he admits it or not)

Then they Bash how bad we are at taking care of our sick people when he talks about how his legs can't get fixed because he is poor. (again... as if other cultures didn't have this problem... I mean if he made this analogy, just in the movie alone, then the Navi are far worse since they just have Shamans instead of doctors really trying to learn how to treat people... I mean seriously, at least the humans in the movie have a way of fixing someone's legs right? Navi don't... so according to the movie, it's better if NO ONE gets his legs fixed as oposed of having SOME people that can afford it getting theirs fixed)
Now, i won't bash this movie on religion too much, since the "spiritual" side of the movie is supposed to be real... something that i have a HUGE hunch doesn't have to do much with James Cameron himself, but of course this is just a guess.
But, my guess is that it's not Cameron's idea that their belief isn't just a belief, but a fact.
That for me saves it in that department IMO. I just don't think it's his doing.
No, i think this was probably hotly debated and they came to the conclusion that they had to make their beliefs a real thing instead of just blind faith to give the Navi a true reason for their relocation to not be an option no matter what.

Then he Jake says stuff like:
"This is how it is. We make them our enemy, to justify going to war with them"
This can easily be seen as an analogy to the West vs Middle East...
Except things aren't quite like that are they?
Because they would've had to make the leaders of the Navi a crime family that controled the oil for their benefit alone, and not in the interest of their people. A dictatorship that gases their other natives to death, like say... Saddam Hussein.
And of course, made it so the Navi religion told them trough religious verses that only members of their religion are not to be killed. (anyone who thinks the people responsible for 9/11 would have still killed themselves if they weren't brained washed with religion is delusional, they weren't just motivated because they think of Americans as imperialists)

Other stuff Jakes says that i thought was annoying was:

"Look in to her memories, see what they did to their planet, there's no green there!"

Holy poop, cut it out already.
IF, IF we ever make it to the point to where we can have intergalactic space travel, you can bet one thing:
We will have domesticated the earth's weather, and climate change won't be an issue... since we'd be in control of climate.
The forests aren't disappearing because of all the developed world tree cutting. The fact is in the US there's more trees today than 100 years ago. (of course, the trees in Avatar aren't just trees. they're like a brain... but you can't help to make the analogy, since after all Jake IS blaming humans on how earth is compared to Pandora more than once)
This is only a problem where underdeveloped countries have people that cut them (trees) in order to survive.
And as bad as that is, who's gonna tell them to die instead of the trees they're cutting? (how do the navi survive harash weather anyway, guess it's summer all year long in Pandora)

I'm pretty sure there's more of those things i'm overlooking, but another one i remember is what he says at the end when the humans are defeated:

"they were sent back to their dead planet, only a few were chosen to stay"

So, apparently scientists are smart enough to learn how to travel to distant stars, but not smart enough to solve environmental problems, something that should be far easier science wise than what the level of technology humans have suggest in the movie.

Also, there's some talk about the rock that's worth millions, while the movie does justify why the Navi wouldn't want to relocate just to give humans that rock well enough. It tries to compare (at least to me) the rock to oil in that regard (middle east again) as if oil wasn't worth fighting for at all.
This would be a good analogy...But the leader of the Navi isn't a dictator in control of those resources.
Also, the Navi wouldn't get poop for that rock, which doesn't really translate to the analogy he tries to make:
Anyone that thinks that the middle east doesn't get anything for their oil needs to look no further than Dubai, which was only possible in the first place because of their oil. (and later became sustainable all by itself)

So, basically the movie, in some points maybe with out realizing it is saying the following:

-We don't need technology to have a better quality of life.

-People that can afford treatment shouldn't get it unless everyone else can. (When Jake talks about why he doesn't have legs)

-Criminals are only a problem because of the decadent western lifestyle, tribes apparently don't have issues like this. (when jake talks about his brother's death)

-Have faith and you'll defeat your enemies. (of course, in the movie it's not just blind faith.. but you can't help to think he's making the analogy to religions which ARE just fantasy, again this isn't an issue in the movie... but i don't think it was like this originally after all the other analogies Cameron makes)

-Live in tune with nature, and everyone will be healthy and slim. (no fat or sick Navi at all...) Of course when you have no doctors to treat the sick or enough food to survive there won't be a single fat or sick surviver, so this much can be true... i just don't think this is the message being portrayed here... ;-)

Ugh, i wish i could've overlooked what i didn't like, but that kind of thinking is hard to just swallow.

So if you want to enjoy the movie, just try to ignore those references and all will be well.

I'll just add that i like District 9's approach to similar moral dilemmas a lot more on how outsiders get treated, at least it's not so one sided.

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Um... I thought the plot was good. You just have to take it for what it is, fantasy.

Kamus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kamus »

cybereality wrote:Um... I thought the plot was good. You just have to take it for what it is, fantasy.
Well, i enjoyed it a lot, the characters are fine. I just think it would've been even better if it didn't try to be so political.

Likay
Petrif-Eyed
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by Likay »

Good review metalqueen!

I and a friend saw it yesterday. I was hyped but Avatar lived up to every ounce of it!
To me the plot is a "classic indian/white" movie (Na'vi - Navajo) because of the story. It's not an original plot otherwise that the "big spirit" actually is explained as real and makes way for some great ideas for the movie.
The movie shouldn't be taken "serious" but instead as a great way of spending a few hours of good entertainment. It's Camerons dream in 3D and i enjoyed it very much!

3D is pretty much awesome! The first time getting down on Pandora gives that old "Far Cry" feeling with leaves gently rubbing your face while watching the different and colorful fauna. Just have to say i love it as much as JakeSully did!
Mostly the scene itself was rendered in front of the cinemascreen all of the time, even when watching far away objects. Maybe it was because of the huge screen but in my opinion a little more depth wouldn't hurt. Popouteffects are existent but noway close to those goofy old-school stereomovies where something always is thrown at you just for the sake of 3d... Instead there was a good balance with such effects but there was more than one occasion where people in the audience screamed/ducked because of some very realistic experiences! :twisted:

3D-technique used was Real-D which uses circular polarization. So this meant i could put away those nice linear clip-ons i brought with me. :lol:
The real-d tech itself shows signs of very small amount of ghosting while watching the movie and can't be complained at. Unfortunately the same can't be said about the subtext... It was brigth yellow and showed visible ghosting in almost every scene in the movie. For some reason the subs were rendered at prescreendepth as well which caused the phenomena.

I don't know how much the 3d, the huge screen and the simple plot affected me but in my opinion this is definitely one of the best movies i've seen!

Now: Hurry up with the blu-ray 3D-release!!! :mrgreen:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

pidd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pidd »

because of a broken leg and stairs in the theater, i chose to sit up front (like 5th row from the screen where it was stairless)
i found most of the things in the backround very blurry. i first noticed something was wrong during the previews, but though maybee just the previews were out of sync. but the movie just didnt have the depth of field like some of the other 3d movies i had seen recently.
the movie itself ws great. I have no complaints otherwise.
for anyone who saw this from a better vantage point could you wiegh in for me on if it was better for you 3d viual wise.
I would like to go see it again and sit further back.
with a confirmation from someone here that yes it was indeed becasue of where i was sitting and that moving back would have strightened it out.
that would help me alot, as in I would get someone to take me to go see it again, and not feel so let down in the meantime.
thanks
dave

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hi and welcome! :)

In some scenes the background was blurred deliberately i think to give a more realistic feeling (you see like this in the real world). It only works realistic if you focus on the same thing the cameras focus on though.
And indeed: Sitting too close to the screen ruins depthfeeling quite a bit. I have this phenomena even at home: The closer to the screen, the less experienced depth i get. I guess the best spot is somewhere in the middle. :P
The only annoying thing for me was that the bright yellow swedish subs ghosted a lot all the time. For some reason the subs were rendered in front of the screensurface which made it very noticeable.

I hope you'll soon be well enough to sit at a decent spot in the cinema.

craylon
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by craylon »

I saw Avatar yesterday.

maybe I'm in some kind of holliday mood or i didnt have that high expectations but to me Avatar (story, effects and all) was one of the best cinematic experiences I ever had coming to par with when i first watched StarWars as a kid and Lord of the Rings a few years back.

Neil

Post by Neil »

Avatar is great, though I completely appreciate how there are going to be some Elaine's in the world:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5qalNX5G94[/youtube]

For those unfamiliar, the story in this episode is everyone loves The English Patient movie, but her. In this case, her boss forces her to see the movie with him.

I liked The English Patient! :lol:

Regards,
Neil

Kamus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kamus »

Neil wrote:Avatar is great, though I completely appreciate how there are going to be some Elaine's in the world

Well, i actually had no problem with the length of Avatar. (hell, i sat trough it twice, since the first time it was ridden with problems because they got their copy at the last hour, so i went a second time for free complaining about the first time) Time seems to go by pretty fast, there isn't really a dull moment.

My problem isn't even with the unbelievable parts of the movie, because as unbelievable as they may be, they're entertaining. Hell, i don't even have a huge problem with the most blatant Deus Ex Machina I've seen in a while. No, I'm willing to overlook all those things because you're having too much fun regardless.

My problem is with the political statements it makes. It really comes off saying as if Tribes were much better off than our modern Civilization.
Things haven't been getting worse... yesterday wasn't better than today, weather James Cameron believes it or not, we're better off today than we were even 10 years ago... let alone 500+ years ago.

I don't know what is it with some people, that truly believe that life used to be better back then, it wasn't.
Life expectancy was a lot lower, disease was a complete mystery, tribal wars were horrible and sometimes for very stupid reasons (this happens even today, in cultures that are very backwards and live by faith books as their main source of morals, which i might add are CLEARLY written by males only)

District 9 in my opinion, did a MUCH better job at showing cultural conflicts, because all sides in that story are portrayed with both good and bad sides in a very convincing way, it just seemed like something real.
Avatar on the other hand, is VERY one sided. The Navi are perfect beings and the human lifestyle is all negative, decadent, greedy bastards.
According to the movie the only good people are the scientists and a few others, and all business man are evil... oh please.

The movie could've been a lot better on those points, District 9 shows how you can have all sides shown with a wide range of behavior from all parties. There's no real "bad guy" in district 9, and all sides have good and bad in that movie.
My biggest complain i guess it's that it shows a way of thinking that i'm kind of sick off:
Self hating modern people.
It wouldn't have hurt Cameron to read about how tribes really lived and live, to see just how much better off we are than they could ever be, due to progress both scientific and moral. (i wonder how a gay navi would be treated... i know how tribes deal / dealt with those)
While i'm sure you can find somethings worthwhile about tribes over our way of living, i think people would be shocked to see just how far we've come along. Even with all our problems, some of which are so horrible you'd think we were still living in the middle ages.

If there is an Avatar 2, and from the looks of it there will be since it's doing great, i hope they either drop the political statements altogether, or show both sides of the coin for all parties involved, something that sadly i think won't happen.
The Navi being so "pure" really hurts the story potential in my eyes, it's not nearly as fun when they're all good and problem free, there's less conflicts to resolve leading to less tension, and of course as a result less fun.

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I believe Cameron tries to show a utopia to match both the simple story as well as a foreign graphic (to of course make it better in 3d). It has nothing to do with reality and the more you watches the movie the more certain you get that Cameron actually isn't "saying us" anything. The plot is too simple and everybody have heard it too many times. :lol: It's good entertainment of the light sort. I on the other hand have problems getting through district9 without felling asleep because it's like plowing through a bunch of news (joke, but true as well. :wink: ).

I don't know how the man manages to make several hours of movie feeling 1/3 shorter than they are. Especially having titanic in mind... :shock:

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Kamus, I think you are getting carried away. Clearly the movie was a political satire. I mean, the stuff was called unobtainium, get it?

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Exactly what i meant. ^^

Kamus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kamus »

cybereality wrote:Kamus, I think you are getting carried away. Clearly the movie was a political satire. I mean, the stuff was called unobtainium, get it?
Don't get me wrong, i had lots of fun. But those statements managed to hit a nerve too, i felt this a lot more the second time i watched it than the first time.

Now we're left wondering what a second movie could be about, since all the humans would have to do to defeat the Navi is show up since they are clearly far more technologically advanced.
And just from Cameron's comments it seems a sequel is coming inevitably.

PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Post by PalmerTech »

Nice review! Too tired to post my full thoughts right now, but I wanted to say that she saved him because he had a "strong heart", not a "pure heart" as said in the review. Not much less cheesy, but a little bit more plausible than her liking him for being "pure". :p

craylon
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by craylon »

Kamus wrote:My biggest complain i guess it's that it shows a way of thinking that i'm kind of sick off:
Self hating modern people.
It wouldn't have hurt Cameron to read about how tribes really lived and live, to see just how much better off we are than they could ever be, due to progress both scientific and moral. (i wonder how a gay navi would be treated... i know how tribes deal / dealt with those)
While i'm sure you can find somethings worthwhile about tribes over our way of living, i think people would be shocked to see just how far we've come along. Even with all our problems, some of which are so horrible you'd think we were still living in the middle ages.

If there is an Avatar 2, and from the looks of it there will be since it's doing great, i hope they either drop the political statements altogether, or show both sides of the coin for all parties involved, something that sadly i think won't happen.
The Navi being so "pure" really hurts the story potential in my eyes, it's not nearly as fun when they're all good and problem free, there's less conflicts to resolve leading to less tension, and of course as a result less fun.
im with you in the believe that i prefer to sit at home playing computer games then living in the brazilian jungle dying at 30years of age, suffering cold, animal bites and loosing my teeth at 20.

but

pandora imho is a different setting. its a different world. the romantic views of magic and living as one with the planet werent some spiritual believes but hard facts.
based on these facts i found it appropriate to think about what benefits the navi would have to trade their way of life with an option of tv-dinner and a starbucks caffee on each corner.
hman history of invention comes from the fact to overcome hardship. we developed medicine to cure illness but if theres a planet without illness it simply has no need for medicine.

Dowjd
One Eyed Hopeful
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: LCD shutter glasses

Post by Dowjd »

Ok I have to agree with Kamus.

I loved the special effects and the 3D, which I give them a 5 out of 5. I did not like the New Age Proselytization. Mr. Cameron was blatantly spewing forth his New Age, Al Gore, mother earth, tree loving garbage. For that I give the story line a 3 out of 5.

Will I see Avatar II? Yes, because I support S3D.

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Post by chilledsanity »

Here's my review, I'm splitting it up on the movie itself v. the 3D effect:

THE MOVIE:
I thought the movie was okay, but not great. I found the storyline extremely predictable, rather cliched, and relied on some deus ex machinas to achieve the ending it wanted. My favorite example of this is how bows and arrows bounce off gunships' bullet-resistant glass, then magically shatter windshields later in the movie. The dialogue wasn't painful, but it felt like pretty standard Hollywood fare. The actual plot concept was interesting though. The atmosphere itself however, was incredible. This must have taken an army of animators to achieve and created an environment I've only seen in computer games. All the visual effects were top notch, so this was definitely a good eye-candy movie. Anyway, it's not bad, but nothing I'd call a classic.

THE 3D EFFECTS:
First off, I should say I saw the regular 3D version, not the imax. That may make a difference in the effects, I don't know. I'm either turning into an S-3D snob or else standards have changed, probably both, but I was NOT impressed by the 3D elements. The ENTIRE MOVIE, I kept thinking "This needs more depth, more depth, more depth." To me, the 3D effects were noticeable, but nothing near the immersiveness I like. Many, many scenes to me felt more like stacked paper cutouts rather than a fully immersive S-3D environment. Aside from needing more depth, images did not come out of the screen much. The only in-your-face effect I experienced were wisps of pollen flying around in one scene, but that may have seemed more noticeable in contrast to everything else. Most of it felt relatively flat and I was sitting close to the center of the theater.

This is the first modern 3D movie I've seen, however I've done a lot of S-3D gaming in the past, plus I got to see an old 3D 1950s black and white movie before in anaglyph that I found MUCH more impressive than Avatar in terms of the 3D effects. It had boulders in a rock slide that looked like they were going to land on you, all the characters and sets felt very fleshed-out, and a climax scene where an alien fires a raygun at a camera made me want to jump it was so close. Avatar felt completely watered down and much more flat compared to that movie (I forgot its name), so I think holding a modern day movie to the 3D standards of 50-60 years ago is not unreasonable. I'd rate the 3D effects as "fair", but not "good."
Last edited by chilledsanity on Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, my one complaint with the movie was that the 3D effects were, at best, mild and sometimes non-existent. When the movie first started I thought I might have walked into the 2D showing by accident. Even old-school games like UT2004 w/ CRT and shutter glasses looked far more impressive. I was expecting far more. To be fair, there was a 3D effect and it did add to the movie, but it wasn't very noticeable. It definitely looked more 3D in IMAX, but even so it wasn't the blow-you-out-of-your-seat-3D-experience it could have been. Still, maybe Cameron wanted to play it on the safe side and not give people headaches (especially for a 2.5 hour film).

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

cybereality wrote:. Still, maybe Cameron wanted to play it on the safe side and not give people headaches (especially for a 2.5 hour film).
yup that's the impression I got. Especially in the far away areal shots it felt like they deliberately cut the depth. Though I totally understand why he did it- people who see 3d for the first time (or rarely, only in movies) might easily not endure 2.5 hours of full or exaggerated 3d. I so like "exaggerated" 3d.

Freke1
Certif-Eyable!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Other

Post by Freke1 »

I agree on the review.

The comfortable, bright Dolby 3D glasses showed well adjusted totally ghostless 3D with 100% depth (eyedistance separation) in awesome resolution. Very awesome movie.
One guy said it was the best movie he'd ever seen, allthough I also hears some complain of motion sickness.
Might want to buy some Dolby stocks (DLB) since from now on 2D movies are going to be /Fail right?

What kind of resolution are these movies in - anyone knows?

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Freke1 wrote: What kind of resolution are these movies in - anyone knows?
Probably 4K (4096×2160).

crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

chilledsanity wrote:The ENTIRE MOVIE, I kept thinking "This needs more depth, more depth, more depth."
I felt the same. Before watching it I was wondering wether the effect would be strong or mild, and I remember how disappointing was to finally discover that the stereo separation is rather low. That "paper cut-outs" effect is the same I thought during the movie, you've explained it very well. And the other problem is that at the scenes were you are suppose to feel vertigo because of the height I felt nothing at all.

But according to Cameron's interviews, he wanted a stereo effect that was easy for the eyes all the time through out the movie and that it was OK to him to reduce separation if needed. He also wanted stereo to be an addition and not the mass center.

But still a lot better than a 2D movie despite of this. There is something deep in seeing in stereo.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

video:
http://io9.com/5440802/avatar-offers-th ... -salvation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

AHaHAHAHHAHhHAHAHAHahahahah!!!!!!!

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

for all of those that think the plot was too generic :)

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

HAHahahahhHAHAhaahahahAHahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note, though, I saw this movie for a third time and it was still just as good. This time I finally got to see it in IMAX3D and it looked far more impressive. Everyone I went with was blown away. This movie really is that good. I agree the story is not necessarily original, but its classic. There is a difference.

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

yuriythebest wrote:for all of those that think the plot was too generic :)

Lol! And yes, it's actually hilarious! Great find!
And i couldn't care less about originality since some of the best movies are far from original. Avatar is a great example for this.

crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

I saw it again yesterday and I enjoyed it a lot more than the first time. This movie is a big thing.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760

budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Avatar 2 : Lets write the plot for the next movie.

Post by budda »

Avatar is a great movie, however it contains loose threads to tie in the prequel and sequels.

Here is your chance to write the plot for AVATAR 2.

Note to James Cameron - Copyright reserved.

Note: References to persons or other movies is purely coincidental !

Plot ideas

The unobtainium deposit was left from a meteor strike billions of years ago on Pandora. It is a remanent of a supernova explosion and contains superheavy isotopes of nuclear fuel. This fuel cannot be synthesized economically so it must be mined for an energy starved planet earth.

The child, a product of a man-made clone and a Na'vi, becomes a future military commander (Terminator) with the wisdom of the Na'vi and the military training of his father (Star Wars / Genesis-Son of Spock). He is told to prepare for an invasion force which will come someday.

"We'll be back".

The exiled humans send in "An Attack of the Clones" with the old information they retrieved. These Na'vi clones are soldiers trained with mechanised weapons but do not have the local knowledge to survive in the wild like a Na'vi warrior. (Apocalypse Now)

The clone attack is counting on a quick campaign but the Na'vi will make it a drawn out war of attrition against General Mother. "Stalingrad 1942".

In desperation, the Na'vi contemplate the detonation of a critical mass of this nuclear fuel in order to destroy the ore body, but this could wipe out the Na'vi too.

Over to you budding scriptwriters.

PalmerTech
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Post by PalmerTech »

Unobtainium is not radioactive. On its own, it has no potential to produce power. The reason it is so valuable is that it is a room temperature superconductor that repels magnetic fields. This is why it floats. Earth wants it because it allows for easy containment fields for fusion reactors that do not need massive supercooling systems, and in addition, is more reliable. Thus, it can be used as an energy transfer efficient collector and containment for fusion based power generators, vehicles, and weapons.

/nitpicky nerd. :wink:

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

PalmerTech wrote:Unobtainium is not radioactive. On its own, it has no potential to produce power. The reason it is so valuable is that it is a room temperature superconductor that repels magnetic fields. This is why it floats. Earth wants it because it allows for easy containment fields for fusion reactors that do not need massive supercooling systems, and in addition, is more reliable. Thus, it can be used as an energy transfer efficient collector and containment for fusion based power generators, vehicles, and weapons.

/nitpicky nerd. :wink:
cool that actually makes some sense, since this suprconductor is part of the "brain" of the Pandora and will help communication

budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

Hi,

I read parts of the early Avatar Scriptment and its a nice story.

For more information, just Google - "Avatar Scriptment James Cameron".

But, I cannot see anyone travelling so far to Pandora for something that must be easier to make on Earth.

Nuclear fuel is something we already have on Earth, but this material needs to be extra special. What about electronically controllable nuclear fuel that makes portable nuclear batteries light, safe, powerful and long lasting. It would give its possessor immense political, military and economic control over a troubled planet Earth and Deep Space.

More off topic fantasy :shock:
Say the military have developed a fuel cell to modulate the beta-decay (radioactive electron emmission) of this fuel in order to directly power any kind of electrical equipment. And all they need now is the fuel, which however, does not naturally exist on earth but is made experimentally at an exhorbitant cost.

:roll:

However, just because some plot lines were in the original script doesn't necessarily mean its wholely and solely implied in the movie. We can all have our cake and icing too. :wink:

I'll take the advice of the MythBusters.

"I reject your version of reality and substitute my own". Ha. :D

PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Actually, the RDA (Resource Development Association) is a company in the movie which has grown to be the single largest organization in the world/galaxy, larger than even the USA.

The RDA tried for years and years to make a synthetic material with the properties they needed, but despite massive investments, they were unable to make a stable compound. Because they tried for so many years, the scientists working on the project gave it the joking name of "Unobtainium". When a compound with exactly the properties they were trying to create was found on Pandora on an exploration probe, it kept their pet name.

And Budda, you are right. The RDA owns and controls the only supply of Unobtainium in the known galaxy, and they have enourmous strength and power. Those mech-suits that are in the movie? Those are powered by miniature Fusion reactors, made possible by small and efficient unobtainable containment fields. Likewise with all the spacecraft.

There is a great book which goes into depth on this kind of stuff, definitely worth it for any Avatar fan: http://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Confidenti ... 0061896756" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

James Cameron really created a massive backstory to this world that did not make it onto the screen because of time constraints, but reading this book, you realize that no way are accusations that the plot was shallow is true. It may have seemed shallow, but there is so much more depth if you know the background.

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

still, we should look in the future for james Camerons next masterpiece

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSXFlJIkVMo[/youtube-hd]

Return to “MTBS Editorial User Remarks”