How I Play All Games on Rift, Direct X 10 and 11 Included

Oculus Prime
One Eyed Hopeful

How I Play All Games on Rift, Direct X 10 and 11 Included

Post by Oculus Prime »

I know Tridef updated their Oculus Rift Beta drivers today, which is good but if it doesn't allow you to play Direct X 10 or 11 games yet i have another method I have been using that allows you to do so. I have been playing Battlefield 3, Bioshock Infinite, Crysis 3 and many others so far using this method.

The main issue I have though is that I dont currently have head tracking figured out. If someone could point me in the right direction for that I would greatly appreciate it. Anyways here is all that I have to do:

1. Install REGULAR Tridef driver. (I have commercial version) Don't use Oculus Beta.
2. Switch 3d settings in Ignition to Side by aside.
3. Start desired game through Ignition.
4. Once your game starts select a resolution of 1600 x 1200 (this is the most important as nothing else looks right)
5: Adjust your tridef menu settings using hot keys. Make sure 3d is set to on. I like to increase depth to 100 also.
6. The tridef setting for me seems to work the same with output set to either "Normal" or "Left-right".
7. Finally try out your different lense cups. I find that I like the C Cups best for this configuration.
8. Enjoy your Direct X 9, 10, and 11 games.

I am not a Rift expert by any means but i tinkered many hours with different software and lens configurations trying to find a way to play my favorite games on the rift. Hopefully more commercial solutions keep coming out to improve the experience.

I'd be interested to know if someone has a better current way of playing Direct X 10 and 11 games and how I might be able to add head tracking to the experience.

I am also receiving some 67mm polaroid close up lense filters for cameras on Monday to try in my rift to customize the magnification powers.

Lookforyourhands
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: How I Play All Games on Rift, Direct X 10 and 11 Include

Post by Lookforyourhands »

That's cool but my only advice would be not to invest 'too' much time into this because there will soon be software solutions available
that allow it to work. Tridef etc.. And who knows what Oculus is working on. Anyway, I totally get you want to play your favorite games
on the Rift I do too but there are tons of older Dx9 games that actually work really well ! I was playing Halo 1 CE on the Rift last
night and it's literally blown me away. It's like a brand new game. Unfortunately I was only using the mouse and keyboard
but I plan on playing it all the way through with my wiimote/ps nav motion gun. :D Oh yeah and about the head tracking issue you're
having.. I imagine it's tied to the driver you are using, hmm do you think you could enable the tracker using Vireio? Or as a last
ditch effort you could just get a small lightweight gyration air mouse and strap it to the top of the rift to emulate mouse tracking.. would
at least be a temporary solution albeit not the greatest.

Oculus Prime
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Oculus Prime »

Yeah I definitely would prefer to use a complete commercial solution. I had been trying to be patient waiting for some of the other driver solutions to come out but after months of no updates i used some of my free time to experiment on my own. I don't have many hobbies at the moment so trying to figure out how to "trick" the Rift and my brain has been fun.

I was excited to see the Tridef support for Direct X 9 a couple weeks back (seems so long ago) but I just had a nagging feeling that I had to try out BF3 and Bioshock Infinite NOW! While my current setup isn't perfect it lets me experience the new games in a Rift-like format. It can help hold me over until Tridef or some of the other guys release more drivers. I want to experiment with them all!

Like I said if anyone hears of other current solutions please share. This is just the only simple "hack" that I know of at the moment.

Thanks!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by cybereality »

I would not recommend doing this, it's not going to be a good experience.

Mainly you will be missing the distortion shader, which will make straight lines (like the edge of a wall) curve on the edges, which is weird. You also don't get head-tracking, and without tracking you can easily get sick or have eye-strain. Plus the stereo overlap might not be correct. You can probably adjust this a little with the hot-keys, but it won't be perfect. Because of this you may even have your eye diverging, which can be an uncomfortable experience.

Basically, try at your own risk and don't be surprised if you get a head-ache.

Oculus Prime
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Oculus Prime »

Cyberreality is right. Is kind of do it your own risk endeavor. I went back and tried my C Cups again which work best for me this way and things seemed a little blurry to me after a while. I popped back on my custom lenses though and to me things look really good (minus the headtracking).

I created these by popping out the lenses from the product below and super glueing them on top of empty B cups. Not an elegant approach I know, but no harm is being done to my unit and the effects are surprisingly clear.

http://www.amazon.com/SE-MG2016S-Neckla ... e+monocles

It seems the combination of the 1600 x 1200 resolution and 5x magnification renders really well for me using this setup. Like I said in my first post I am going to experiment with some more advanced lense configurations Monday and I am hoping they provide a more immersive experience at 6x or 7x magnification levels.

I am grateful to the Oculus team for putting out a cool product and enjoy my dev kit a lot. I can't wait for full blown commercial drivers and final consumer rift products to come out. I am counting down the days until whenever it will be. But I am also enjoying the options available to customize the image by doing simple things as experimenting with different lenses and screen resolutions.

If you are looking for an out of the box experience, the approaches I have been using certainly do not qualify.

Thanks

Evenios
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Evenios »

yeah but without headtracking its not nearly as good!

Oculus Prime
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Oculus Prime »

Yeah I wish there was headtracking. Believe me as soon as Tridef or others release Direct X 10 and 11 drivers I will be all over those! In the meantime the way I see it the ability to play the current games without headtracking is much beitter than not being able to play them now at all so I am making do.

I just finished a round of Crysis 3 and man it looks amazing with my hokey custom lenses. Who would of thought that $4 monocle jewelry on Amazon would work so well. The picture is really clear and optimal at 1600 x 1200. I have my side screws adjusted to halfway and moved my monocle lenses to empty A cups.

It looks great but my only complaint at the moment besides the lack of head tracking is that the picture is a little more zoomed out than i would like and I can see thin black bars on the side. I'm hoping that by stacking the polaroid close up lens filters I ordered off Amazon it will magnify better at 6x or 7x times magnification.

This is all trial and error for me and I keep finding ways to improve the screen clarity. I will post the results of my testing with the camera lense filters on Monay or Tuesday after they are delivered.

I am more excited about the future of Rift gaming more now than ever.

Thanks

Oculus Prime
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Oculus Prime »

No new experiments today. Receiving fancy lenses tomorrow. For anybody though with any sort of working setup going I recommend playing Mechwarrior Online. I really suck at it but sitting in that cockpit for the few minutes leading up to when I get tatored is excellent.

Oculus Prime
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Oculus Prime »

Probably the last time I post on this topic. It turns out that my first attempt at custom lenses was pretty lucky. Changing the size, magnifying, distance from eye in combination with screen resolutions can produce results across the board most of which were no good. There seem to be endless combinations so i will leave it up to the experts.

Im going to hang onto the ones I made in the earlier post because for whatever reason they just work really well.
If i put inner ring back in my A cup i can probably get rid of the bars on the side as i just wont be able to see them anymore.

I will continue to play the Direct X 10 and 11 with this or C cups with the original tridef driver until official drivers come out and are playable in normal format but hopefully there is not a long wait for them.

Sbitre
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: How I Play All Games on Rift, Direct X 10 and 11 Included

Post by Sbitre »

Whoa, it's worth a lot to come across this in 2020 ;) I love digging into old topics, it may not always be useful, but at least it's fun. In many games, including VR, there is a huge number of different treasures and jewelry. So it is not surprising that to use them correctly, you have to understand them a little bit and know that there is certification. Read more about gemology certification.

Return to “Oculus VR”