Page 6 of 6

Re: oculus should ban pornography like google glass did

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:33 am
by willy121
Serious question.

How long before Facebook bans porn on the rift?

What if a game is sexist? will it be banned?

Re: oculus should ban pornography like google glass did

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:12 pm
by geekmaster
willy121 wrote:Serious question.

How long before Facebook bans porn on the rift?

What if a game is sexist? will it be banned?
They won't ban anything. All they can do is not allow it in their app store.

Porn and sexism are relative, depending on local community standards. Pretty much anything is likely to bother somebody somewhere.

Considering that almost ALL forms of technology started with porn, because nerds and geeks invest the bulk of their time playing with the tech with little time to maintain a healthy sex life, VR and other technologies not yet invented will likely follow the same pattern, with benefits to prudes and luddites coming later when applications broaden to support everybody.

Re: oculus should ban pornography like google glass did

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:46 pm
by Dilip
Very true....Ban means banned at their store!
Though as like apple app store where you can only play games on apple devices that are available at apple play store, such restriction can not be applied to rift

As rift is not like Iphone or IPad its more like LED TV or MONITOR.

Any company that produce display can not ban porn on that display ;)

Geekmaster nice to see you posting again. :)

Re: oculus should ban pornography like google glass did

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:45 pm
by geekmaster
Dilip wrote:... Any company that produce display can not ban porn on that display ;)

Geekmaster nice to see you posting again. :)
Actually, they COULD build in a "family" mode that bluescreens on porn detection, using software like this:
http://belkasoft.com/en/pornography-detection

You would need a passcode to bypass it for adults-only use. Or if the Terms of Service contained a "no porn" clause, it could set a hardware flag to void the warranty, or worse action taken if ILLEGAL porn detected.

Technology can be naughty to its owner, if there is profit to be made or power to be gained.

And thanks. I was held back from posting by the desire of associates to "own" my ideas. No longer...

Re: oculus should ban pornography like google glass did

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:44 am
by Dilip
geekmaster wrote:Actually, they COULD build in a "family" mode that bluescreens on porn detection, using software like this:
http://belkasoft.com/en/pornography-detection

You would need a passcode to bypass it for adults-only use. Or if the Terms of Service contained a "no porn" clause, it could set a hardware flag to void the warranty, or worse action taken if ILLEGAL porn detected.
That's creepy...great to know that such thing exists. Isn't it for implementation on software side, like porn locks in internet surfing account for kids.
If it can be studded in hardware...its good idea, but does any one implemented this anywhere?

Thanks for information. :)

Re: oculus should ban pornography like google glass did

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:19 am
by geekmaster
Dilip wrote:
geekmaster wrote:Actually, they COULD build in a "family" mode that bluescreens on porn detection, using software like this:
http://belkasoft.com/en/pornography-detection

You would need a passcode to bypass it for adults-only use. Or if the Terms of Service contained a "no porn" clause, it could set a hardware flag to void the warranty, or worse action taken if ILLEGAL porn detected.
That's creepy...great to know that such thing exists. Isn't it for implementation on software side, like porn locks in internet surfing account for kids.
If it can be studded in hardware...its good idea, but does any one implemented this anywhere?

Thanks for information. :)
Some TVs have the V-Chip, which relies on an embedded rating system. It would block adult content and themes based on program ratings (swearing, violence, smoking, sexuality, etc.). Cheap and simple, but not for raw unrated content like that software could handle, which COULD be implemented in device firmware.

There are systems used by TV networks that detect and blur nude body parts, and faces, and T-shirt logos, which you see in use on some reality shows or news footage, where raw public or security video content is used. Such auto-blur software could also be added to a TV (or HMD) to "protect" the public, or to blur products and logos of competitive brands. After all, a device should be able to ban the competition from using its pixels, right? Can we trust the lawyers to sort this all out for us with no conflicts of interest? Will we agree to such things to subsidize cheaper products? Or would we pay extra for "perv mode", with "costume fail" detect that triggers instant replay, zoom and enhance, freezeframe, and post to social media for smart TVs? Only time will tell... Perhaps all of the above?

Game of Thrones certainly would not be the same with a video viewing device stuck in "family" mode, would it?

Re: oculus should ban pornography like google glass did

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:25 pm
by Dilip
geekmaster wrote:Game of Thrones certainly would not be the same with a video viewing device stuck in "family" mode, would it?
I absolutely love this series, i have seen all 5 seasons 50 episodes and i keep coming back for more. its HBO 'Masterpiece' some thing 'dame amazing' you can bring out of books. For movies it was 'Jurassic park-1993' for series i think its 'Game of Thrones'.

I have also seen some episodes moderated for our country,still they were equally magnificent. In fact up to season 2 'A' mode was attraction then story took over it... now i don't care censored or not i want to see every single episode of GoT to come.

So imho its story that matters in longer run for some period 'other attractions' keep you studded to your 'tube' but nothing last long as great story.
May be a reason why i loved all 'Mass Effects' and 'Dragon Ages'.

Re: oculus should ban pornography like google glass did

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:30 pm
by VRnow
Oculus has announced they won't be banning porn

And porn companies got on board with some competitive stuff like *******************
Let's see where it goes

Re: oculus should ban pornography like google glass did

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:03 pm
by cybereality
Sorry, I had to remove the URL. This is a family friendly forum. Thanks.

Re: oculus should ban pornography like google glass did

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:00 am
by willy121
willy121 wrote:I made this in UDK. Inspired by this post.

Updated version from 3 years later. Thanks OP for the inspiration.

[youtube-hd]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHEG_Yf ... e=youtu.be[/youtube-hd]