DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
zoost
One Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:41 am

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by zoost »

Hi to you all. I couldn't find the aswer here but I probably missed it somewhere. Is it possible to use the assets included in Doom3 (original) (which I own) with this BFG VR fork or do i need to buy the BFG edition? Thanks in advance.

User avatar
IGameArt
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by IGameArt »

Anything mods for doom 3, as far as i'm aware, are incompatible with bfg edition. Unless you know how to crack into bfg editions format packages to change the game's assets, then you're out of luck for now.

User avatar
mickman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:07 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)
Location: London
Contact:

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by mickman »

Just ran Doom 3 on my Rift... looks amazing... just wish I could get used to the Motion sickness.
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....

User avatar
IGameArt
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by IGameArt »

You will mickman, it'll take just a couple of days. (usually)

User avatar
gray
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:29 am

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by gray »

Excellent work on this, very immersive.

I'm trying to reduce my walking speed to make the experience a little more immersive and reduce motion sickness. The command 'pm_walkspeed 100' works until I hit a load point after which it is set back to default. Do you have any thoughts on how I can make this permanent?

E-PaiN
One Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 1:41 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by E-PaiN »

gray wrote:Excellent work on this, very immersive.

I'm trying to reduce my walking speed to make the experience a little more immersive and reduce motion sickness. The command 'pm_walkspeed 100' works until I hit a load point after which it is set back to default. Do you have any thoughts on how I can make this permanent?
Try double-binding your run button, like this:

bind w "_forward; pm_walkspeed 100"

It should let you walk forward while setting the run speed to 100 every time you press the button.
I've used commands like this back in the days in Quake World and Quake 3 Arena, not sure if they function the same in DOOM3, but it's worth a shot!

User avatar
RABID
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:26 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Other
Location: Long Island NY

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by RABID »

i cant seem to turn off my character body
pm_showBody 0 isnt working so when i play i have 2 sets of arms

User avatar
IGameArt
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by IGameArt »

Have you tried restarting the app after that? Did you enter the code from the main menu? That might help.

User avatar
RABID
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:26 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Other
Location: Long Island NY

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by RABID »

I get an unrecognized command error

User avatar
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 5:20 am
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV
Location: BB, Slovakia

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by baggyg »

Had a long play tonight trying to get rid of the black borders. 0.9 on the stereoRender_warpTargetFraction does get rid of them but makes me feel like I am wearing someone elses glasses. Tried to counter this by adjusting the IPD and other setting but to no luck.

stereoRender_warpCenterX sounded right but did not affect the view at all. Tried various other things like changing the customWidth but to no avail.

Has anyone come up with a decent solution? Have a feeling that 0.90 is hurting my eyes
Last edited by baggyg on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RABID
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:26 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Other
Location: Long Island NY

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by RABID »

RABID wrote:i cant seem to turn off my character body
pm_showBody 0 isnt working so when i play i have 2 sets of arms
OK, problem solved, i updated to newest version of mod and now it works beautifully. really appreciate all the hard work that went into making mod

User avatar
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:24 pm

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by drgroove101 »

baggyg wrote:Had a long play tonight trying to get rid of the black borders. 0.9 on the stereoRender_warpTargetFraction does get rid of them but makes me feel like I am wearing someone elses glasses. Tried to counter this by adjusting the IPD and other setting but to no luck.

stereoRender_warpCenterX sounded right but did not affect the view at all. Tried various other things like changing the customWidth but to no avail.

Has anyone come up with a decent solution? Have a feeling that 0.90 is hurting my eyes
I'd try playing with the following settings, resolution, IPD, and g_fov.

Resolution, are you set to 1920x1080? If you're set to something else you'll have to adjust the warptargetfraction to compensate. For IPD, use the new calibration tool that comes with the SDK to get your measurement if haven't already done so. Lastly what do you have your FOV set at? I'd try 99, seems to be the perfect setting, 110 gave me a fishbowl effect.

User avatar
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 5:20 am
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV
Location: BB, Slovakia

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by baggyg »

drgroove101 wrote:
baggyg wrote:Had a long play tonight trying to get rid of the black borders. 0.9 on the stereoRender_warpTargetFraction does get rid of them but makes me feel like I am wearing someone elses glasses. Tried to counter this by adjusting the IPD and other setting but to no luck.

stereoRender_warpCenterX sounded right but did not affect the view at all. Tried various other things like changing the customWidth but to no avail.

Has anyone come up with a decent solution? Have a feeling that 0.90 is hurting my eyes
I'd try playing with the following settings, resolution, IPD, and g_fov.

Resolution, are you set to 1920x1080? If you're set to something else you'll have to adjust the warptargetfraction to compensate. For IPD, use the new calibration tool that comes with the SDK to get your measurement if haven't already done so. Lastly what do you have your FOV set at? I'd try 99, seems to be the perfect setting, 110 gave me a fishbowl effect.
1920x1080 gives me a skew when rolling therefore I am using 1920*1200.
The IPD I set as 5.6 - as measured in both TF2 and the new calibration software.
FOV I had at 90 as this is the FOV of the rift.

As mentioned the warptargetfraction "feels" right at 0.86. However regardless of the resolution / fov I always can see the black borders at the sides / top of the screen. By changing to 0.9 these borders disappear but the warp center changes with it so it is slightly off center and causes quite an uncomfortable strain on your eyes. I have not been able to find a setting to compensate for this.

Are you saying that you were able to remove these borders (with the A cups in) by changing resolution?

User avatar
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:24 pm

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by drgroove101 »

baggyg wrote:1920x1080 gives me a skew when rolling therefore I am using 1920*1200.
The IPD I set as 5.6 - as measured in both TF2 and the new calibration software.
FOV I had at 90 as this is the FOV of the rift.

As mentioned the warptargetfraction "feels" right at 0.86. However regardless of the resolution / fov I always can see the black borders at the sides / top of the screen. By changing to 0.9 these borders disappear but the warp center changes with it so it is slightly off center and causes quite an uncomfortable strain on your eyes. I have not been able to find a setting to compensate for this.

Are you saying that you were able to remove these borders (with the A cups in) by changing resolution?
I would first try setting your FOV to 99, as this seems to work for most people.

I use C cups and have the following settings with resolution at 1920x1080.
seta stereoRender_warpTargetFraction "0.80"
seta stereoRender_interoccularcentimeters "6.29"
g_fov 99

With the above settings and C cups I get no black borders and everything is perfect, just as good as native HL2 or Tuscany or any other demo. Roll works perfectly too. However if I leave all cvars alone, but I lower the resolution, then I will see black borders. Also If I change the FOV this will also distort the view and it no longer feels natural. If I change to A cups I see black borders, but adjusting warptargetfraction to 0.86 then everything is perfect again.

You have a quite a low IPD at 56mm, I'm not sure if this affects anything or what you should change to compensate. I guess everyone is really unique when it comes to their head size and eye spacing its tough to layout the specific settings for every contingency. I don't envy programmers at all in this regard!

Anywho I wish I had better answer. I wish you luck though, Doom 3 has been my favourite experience in the Rift so far, it gets really immersive with some noise cancelling headphones, and has scared the poop out of me numerous times

User avatar
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 5:20 am
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV
Location: BB, Slovakia

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by baggyg »

drgroove101 wrote:
baggyg wrote:1920x1080 gives me a skew when rolling therefore I am using 1920*1200.
The IPD I set as 5.6 - as measured in both TF2 and the new calibration software.
FOV I had at 90 as this is the FOV of the rift.

As mentioned the warptargetfraction "feels" right at 0.86. However regardless of the resolution / fov I always can see the black borders at the sides / top of the screen. By changing to 0.9 these borders disappear but the warp center changes with it so it is slightly off center and causes quite an uncomfortable strain on your eyes. I have not been able to find a setting to compensate for this.

Are you saying that you were able to remove these borders (with the A cups in) by changing resolution?
I would first try setting your FOV to 99, as this seems to work for most people.

I use C cups and have the following settings with resolution at 1920x1080.
seta stereoRender_warpTargetFraction "0.80"
seta stereoRender_interoccularcentimeters "6.29"
g_fov 99

With the above settings and C cups I get no black borders and everything is perfect, just as good as native HL2 or Tuscany or any other demo. Roll works perfectly too. However if I leave all cvars alone, but I lower the resolution, then I will see black borders. Also If I change the FOV this will also distort the view and it no longer feels natural. If I change to A cups I see black borders, but adjusting warptargetfraction to 0.86 then everything is perfect again.

You have a quite a low IPD at 56mm, I'm not sure if this affects anything or what you should change to compensate. I guess everyone is really unique when it comes to their head size and eye spacing its tough to layout the specific settings for every contingency. I don't envy programmers at all in this regard!

Anywho I wish I had better answer. I wish you luck though, Doom 3 has been my favourite experience in the Rift so far, it gets really immersive with some noise cancelling headphones, and has scared the poop out of me numerous times
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately nothing you have suggested helps. The issue here is actually the amount of screen the image takes up. It is easier to see if duplicating displays (although the problem occurs in both cloned and extended). I use the A cups since my vision is good. Changing FOV or IPD doesnt actually change the physical width of the render onscreen. The only thing that does this is the targetfraction. If you increase this you will see that the actual "windows" grow larger (and wider). However you will also notice that in doing so it actually increases the physical IPD (not the software one). No other setting I have found can adjust the width of these.

Looks like I am stuck with the black borders for the moment. I really hope 2EyeGuy hasn't given up on this. Even with the black borders I really love the experience and appreciate all the work that has gone in. It would be great if this could be solved somehow in a future update as well as some fix for the PDA screen (another big issue for me).

User avatar
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:24 pm

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by drgroove101 »

baggyg wrote:It would be great if this could be solved somehow in a future update as well as some fix for the PDA screen (another big issue for me).
Yea I agree with this, being able to pan around the PDA screen with your head to view the whole thing would be perfect. There is one part of the game where you're on a monorail, and you have to read through some of the emails to find an access code to open an air lock. I wasn't able to easily read the PDA even taking the Rift off, so I was forced to look it up on the net.

I hope 2eyeguy hasn't given up on it either. Seems like he was trying really hard to get the bink videos working, but couldn't and just gave up on the mod altogether. These bink videos play such a small role in the game, you only ever see them on a monitor a handful of times, and you can hear the audio just fine which is the important part. They don't add a lot to the immersion IMO.

User avatar
przecinek
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:15 am

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by przecinek »

baggyg wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately nothing you have suggested helps. The issue here is actually the amount of screen the image takes up. It is easier to see if duplicating displays (although the problem occurs in both cloned and extended). I use the A cups since my vision is good. Changing FOV or IPD doesnt actually change the physical width of the render onscreen. The only thing that does this is the targetfraction. If you increase this you will see that the actual "windows" grow larger (and wider). However you will also notice that in doing so it actually increases the physical IPD (not the software one). No other setting I have found can adjust the width of these.
You've pretty much summed up the issue perfectly. I have a friend who couldn't even converge at targetfraction = 0.9.
As for fov you either get fishbowl effect or (with fov too low) everything starts to move around along with you.

Gunja
One Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:46 am

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by Gunja »

Hello and thank you for VR fork, it is fantastic.
I have 2 questions.
Is there convar for turning on 2D crosshair, or at least turning laser off ?
Is there convar for independent look left or right without changing the direction of aiming or walking ?

Again, thanks for all that's done to make it work so good with OR.

Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 12:48 am

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by Ziggurat »

Gunja, I have not tried this yet ( have bought BFG, so I will try it some day)

But for the walk left and right I do think you want to look for keybindings for Strafing left and right.

User avatar
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 5:20 am
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV
Location: BB, Slovakia

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by baggyg »

Ziggurat wrote:Gunja, I have not tried this yet ( have bought BFG, so I will try it some day)

But for the walk left and right I do think you want to look for keybindings for Strafing left and right.
I think he means he wants the head look (that is linked to the head tracking) to be separate to that of the aim. This is not going to be possible without some heavy modding.

Since I have not seen any updates to this in a long while I have set myself up with the development environment and currently making some alterations. My priority is the black border issue that a lot of users have and also trying to make the PDA menus readable. I don't have an ETA on this currently as working on a lot of different projects at the moment.

User avatar
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 5:20 am
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV
Location: BB, Slovakia

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by baggyg »

OK, so I'm getting there with the black border stuff. I currently have a version that is working without black borders at 0.86 targetFraction but I'd like to make this a bit better before releasing to the wild. I am also working on a function for "squeezing/pinching" the screen for the PDA. Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to map a keyboard button to a console command?

Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 12:48 am

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by Ziggurat »

baggyg wrote:OK, so I'm getting there with the black border stuff. I currently have a version that is working without black borders at 0.86 targetFraction but I'd like to make this a bit better before releasing to the wild. I am also working on a function for "squeezing/pinching" the screen for the PDA. Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to map a keyboard button to a console command?
Are you going to upstream the code to the original VR fork? Or make your own fork?
How does this compare to HL2 VR in terms of tracking using the Hydra?
I am certain that you can copy one of the methods used for looking for a key button press. In example the method that checks for the reload button, and even make an entry in the list where you have key bindings. And in the output you have a line that activates the console command.

User avatar
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 5:20 am
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV
Location: BB, Slovakia

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by baggyg »

Ziggurat wrote:
baggyg wrote:OK, so I'm getting there with the black border stuff. I currently have a version that is working without black borders at 0.86 targetFraction but I'd like to make this a bit better before releasing to the wild. I am also working on a function for "squeezing/pinching" the screen for the PDA. Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to map a keyboard button to a console command?
Are you going to upstream the code to the original VR fork? Or make your own fork?
How does this compare to HL2 VR in terms of tracking using the Hydra?
I am certain that you can copy one of the methods used for looking for a key button press. In example the method that checks for the reload button, and even make an entry in the list where you have key bindings. And in the output you have a line that activates the console command.
I've currently got my own fork and will post changes there when done. This should then be easy to merge into main fork once the everyone is happy with the changes. The issue with black borders was that the view port was moved according to its size. I have changed this so that the system works out the center point / amount of cross over and there is a separate console variable for the size of this box. This means you can change the size of the viewport without affecting the crossover meaning people can adjust this until they stop seeing borders.

Thanks for the tips on binding, I will have a look and see what can be done. Obviously one could still adjust to see the PDA via the console but this would be a pain each time.

User avatar
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 5:20 am
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV
Location: BB, Slovakia

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by baggyg »

Hi Guys,

I have released my version of the code now. Long story short the stereoRenderer_warpTargetFraction was actually doing two things at once; the physical size of the viewport and the amount of HMD crossover. This meant that for the Oculus settings the render was too small and borders were appearing however making it larger screwed up the crossover.

I have therefore made the following changes:
stereoRender_warpTargetFraction remains and only controls the amount of crossover. This should be comfortable at whatever you already had it (0.86 for me). If this is not adjust so that text (screen level) is a single image. I had to maintain this so that users with DIY rifts can still adjust to their setup.
New console variable stereoRender_warpTargetSize - This represents the percentage of the screen the viewport takes up. 1 being 100% (I have defaulted it to this). I personally recommend 1.16 as I don't see any borders at this level with A cups and visor fully out. However feel free to play with this.

The advantage of this change is that as long as you have the stereoRender_warpTargetFraction right you can adjust the size and it should remain looking correct within the rift. This does mean that you could set stereoRender_warpTargetSize to 0.6 and see the whole screen (useful for those PDA screens). I may look at finding a way to bind the change to a key and perhaps removing the warp whilst maintaining the crossover. This depends on your feedback and whether you think it needs it.

Let me know what you think of the changes. Please be aware I am doing this in my own time and just to see this project move forward and be a better experience. It is my first time in the Doom engine / GL so I am not proclaiming this to be the best solution. I personally believe the viewports should always be the size of the full screen but it is the warp renderer that is altered. Again I may look at that depending on feedback / time. Also be aware this is the only thing I addressed in this update.

Install instructions - as per before. Place this in the same folder as Doom3.exe and run it.
Doom3BFG-VR5-Baggyg.rar
Regarding console commands please see full list from before, the only change is stereoRender_warpTargetSize.
To view code changes see https://github.com/baggyg/DOOM-3-BFG-VR ... 36ebf0e037

Doomed? If for some reason my exe breaks something, simply replace it with the latest older version (VR4 - I think).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 12:48 am

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by Ziggurat »

Thank you very much!
I have not tried Doom 3 (ever) but own the BFG edition (because of the VR fork)

But I am wondering does it support 1:1 tracking of weapon and torso using Razer hydra?

mysticeti
One Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 pm

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by mysticeti »

Thanks baggyg!

User avatar
RABID
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:26 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Other
Location: Long Island NY

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by RABID »

Ziggurat wrote: But I am wondering does it support 1:1 tracking of weapon and torso using Razer hydra?
this would be a great addition!

User avatar
mickman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:07 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)
Location: London
Contact:

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by mickman »

Sure am hoping VorpX will support Doom3BFG
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....

User avatar
IGameArt
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by IGameArt »

Why? That's pretty much pointless when you can play this mod. you'll get better results from this than injection drivers.

Zenid
One Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:49 am

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by Zenid »

mahler wrote:
2EyeGuy wrote:OK, here's my latest version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101 ... FG-VR2.zip
I played this for about 30 minutes yesterday.
Seems to work fine (haven't tried the older versions)
I just patched my install of Doom 3 BFG with this, and for a while it worked great. But I wanted to change the controls for strafing. In the course of trying to set the keys, I added a bunch I couldn't remove, so I chose the 'restore default settings' option.

The display immediately shrank to about 2 inches in the centre of the screen (in dual video) and was so tiny I couldn't do anything but kill it off from Task Manager. I tried winding back the changes and putting back the old exe, DLL and config files (which I had renamed as a precaution in case of this kind of problem), and reinstating the original ones. But it STILL gave me the postage-stamp size screen, except with those animations that come with the fresh install.

Image

So I tried uninstalling it from my machine, downloading the 7GB of files from steam again, and re-installing. it was STILL screwed up. So I uninstalled it, cold rebooted and reinstalled it AGAIN. STILL screwed up. :shock:

So I tried to roll back to my last restore point. Steam didn't give me the option to download, just "play", which just tried to run a Doom 3 BFG executable (which I didn't even think was there any more) which threw an error. So I was stuck with nothing at all, and no way of downloading another copy.

So I rolled back the restore point to where I am right now, with a total screwed install that gives me the tiny postage-stamp screen. It REFUSES to install fresh. And, yes, I did unplug my rift, and it STILL started in VR mode.

Please, somebody, WTF is going on? How do I fix this: :'(

Zenid
One Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:49 am

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by Zenid »

I found the problem. Game data and a copy of "oculus_config.cfg" was somehow persisting at

C:\Users\<Your Name>\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM 3 BFG\

So I renamed "id software", "id softwareOLD", and it was forced to disregard the contents. I suspect that oculus_config.cfg (but possibly D3BFGConfig.cfg) get messed up when you restore your controls to the defaults. In my case I got the

I have no idea how system restore failed to restore those files though. Clearly it doesn't do a very good job of restoring >:(

All works fine now :)

edudu
One Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:02 pm

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by edudu »

Hi guys,

Just played this game (after a lot of tweaking) simply amazing!
But still there's something that keeps me one step away from the perfect experience...

There's something wrong with the resolution:
Every single vertical line from the game, it's displayed on my Rift using 2 wide pixels instead of 1.

This is the only game I've experimented with this issue (and I've player a LOT of games on the Rift)
I'm using 1920x1200 as I always do.

It's not an AA problem, in fact, using 1920x1200 any game usually resamples beautifully and you don't even need AA

The matter is that vertical lines are not drawn correctly on the Rift...
I have tried with all resolutions in game, all graphic tweaks on my geforce gtx690 nvidia panel, still no difference.


Any ideas? Have you guys experimented the same issue?
Thank you so much!

Scratch
One Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:04 pm

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by Scratch »

Hello!

I'm almost through Doom 3 BFG and this has been an INCREDIBLE experience! Thank you so much everybody who have contributed to this fork and made this possible, this is truly awesome.

I made a small script for GlovePIE to be able to use 2 sets of wiimotes and nunchucks to control character and I have added some console command stuff for certain controls. For example, I failed to add commands for setting walkingspeed, viewheight etc. to any of the cfg's so they would automatically load on start, but they just disappeared from the file and even my own added autoexec.cfg did not load... But I got around it by inputting these lines through GlovePIE and it works pretty well (small flash of console can be seen on the screen when any console commands are applied). One feature I "added" through console commands is if I lower my gun (wiimote zapper), It also disappears from the screen. This is all pretty "homemade" stuff (I'm not very good at coding), but I don't know better and it works and it is enough for me.

I also use stereoRender_warpTargetSize to shrink screensize automatically when calling for PDA, BUT while it makes it more readable, some of the text is still out of the screen. I mean I can see the whole screen and black borders inside Rift, but PDA is rendered bigger!

My question is, what would be the proper command to use to shrink PDA to the screen area? g_fov does not apply here. And where can I find "all the console commands" I'm able to fiddle with?

But thanks again for the great work with this!

Edit. Ok, I now know I get list of everything available by typing listcvars or listcmds at the console. But seemed to me sofar there was nothing to help with PDA being too big for the screen.

User avatar
RABID
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:26 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Other
Location: Long Island NY

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by RABID »

any plans on updating for the DK2?

FlyingHellfish
One Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:07 am

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by FlyingHellfish »

It's ten years old now apparently!

I can remember upgrading my rig for this.. I'm sure there will be a lot of attention this weekend on the game, I for one will be playing in OR

User avatar
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 5:20 am
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV
Location: BB, Slovakia

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by baggyg »

There seems to be a pull request for 0.4.1 (DK2) and positional tracking support although it would require an administrator of the Git to authorise it:

https://github.com/tmek/DOOM-3-BFG-VR/pull/3

Edit: Having looked it over - it would seem headtracking and positional are there although there needs to be extra work put in for rendering.

iamaeolus
One Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by iamaeolus »

Hi all,
Just got sdk2 and working on getting doom running - first order of business of course. I've downloaded the most recent exec on the thread and so far I've got the stero 3d working (sort of, although I have a double vision effect) but no head tracking. It works in many other apps (half-life 2, steam, a few demos, etc) but when I load up doom I get a warning "Motion sensor not detected." I've gone through the thread and it seems the majority of users get detection w/o problems, but maybe I've missed something - a driver issue perhaps? I'm planning to compile from source today, maybe that will make a difference...

3DJB
One Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:17 am

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by 3DJB »

for anyone playing Doom 3 BFG with a RiftUp screen on their DK1, I suggest using "0.97" for the stereoRender_warpTargetFraction. I found this setting combined with the "B" lenses to be the most comfortable.

3DJB
One Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:17 am

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by 3DJB »

Also, if you are using the RiftUp screen, make sure to go through all the cfg files and set the resolution to 1920x1080. I thought I was viewing it at 1920x1080 when I first tried it on, but after checking the cfg files and setting the default res at 1920x1080 instead of the 1280x800, it made the image a lot sharper.

3DJB
One Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:17 am

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by 3DJB »

For the love of God, are we ever going to see DK2 support for this?!?

Post Reply

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”