3DVision with DCH on laptop

Darkbluesky
One Eyed Hopeful
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

3DVision with DCH on laptop

Post by Darkbluesky »

Hi

I am trying to install and use 3DVision in the laptop but I do not work no matter what I try.

The laptop has a RTX2080Super and I use an external Asus 3DVision monitor PG258Q, connected to DisplayPort. I have followed the instructions found in these forums in some topics, but it does not work.

I can't install standard drivers, no matter what (of course using DDU, disabling internet, etc), so I install DCH. I do it using BringBack3DV, apparently it works, but the emitter is not correctly installed (the led does light up) or it lights up dull green, and when launching the NV CP test it shut off and 3D is not triggered.

I have read here that for some people it seems to work, but I have not seen details how to do... Someone has succeed with the DCH drivers on laptop?

I would be more than happy if someone could help me.

Thank you!

Pauldusler
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: 3DVision with DCH on laptop

Post by Pauldusler »

Darkbluesky wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:05 pm Hi

I am trying to install and use 3DVision in the laptop but I do not work no matter what I try.

The laptop has a RTX2080Super and I use an external Asus 3DVision monitor PG258Q, connected to DisplayPort. I have followed the instructions found in these forums in some topics, but it does not work.

I can't install standard drivers, no matter what (of course using DDU, disabling internet, etc), so I install DCH. I do it using BringBack3DV, apparently it works, but the emitter is not correctly installed (the led does light up) or it lights up dull green, and when launching the NV CP test it shut off and 3D is not triggered.

I have read here that for some people it seems to work, but I have not seen details how to do... Someone has succeed with the DCH drivers on laptop?

I would be more than happy if someone could help me.

Thank you!
Have you tried 3D Fix Manager yet? It install the 3D Vision driver for you + IR emitter driver. Just click on the "Driver" tab and check the driver health: http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2017/05/3d ... nager.html

Darkbluesky
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Darkbluesky »

Yes, is my preferred way of installing it in the desktop, but it does not install the DCH drivers, and the standard ones can't be installed in the laptop...

I only have the laptop now...

bo3bber

Post by bo3bber »

There will be a bug in the most recent version of 3DFM where it will always try to install the Standard driver even for laptop, and will fail.

We've looked into it, and will be making a new build for 3DFM/HelixVision that will always install whatever type you've got, when running a laptop. So if you have DCH, you'll get DCH 452.06. For Desktop, we will always try to convert to Standard as the best experience, and no known failure modes.

Darkbluesky
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Darkbluesky »

Hi, thanks. I don't know how, I installed the DCH and then used 3DFM to install the 3D driver (as before), et voilà! 3D working in the monitor, from laptop, through USB-C to DP. Wonderful!

I see that the 3DFM v1.8 installs the last working DCH driver. Finally, I have let 3DFM to install both, the DCH and the 3D one, and it works. Thanks for this application. I would have not kept on 3Dstereo without it: currently I have too little free time to tweak things around, and it have saved me a lot of times. Thanks!

Aside of the delay of 3-4 seconds in some windows screens (settings...) or other programs (need to have 3D disabled for normal work then), I have a problem: NV CP seems to have read only rights regarding the registry. I can't change any settings in the 3DStereo tab, (like separation, or 3D Discover, or advanced controls), I change anything, I hit Apply and they revert to defaults...

I think it is registry permissions because I have tried with Advanced3DVConfig and I have to run with administrator privileges in order to run it and be able to change anything... Are you aware of that? Do you have idea how to solve it? Running CP form start menu with administrator rights, do not solve it. Maybe is my registry keys that have some restricted access for some reason ?

EDIT: Aside of the previous effects, I have just seen that with 3D enabled is not possible to drag & drop the start menu "boxes" around to arrange it...they just disappear if you try to drag them.

Pauldusler

Post by Pauldusler »

Darkbluesky wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:36 am I think it is registry permissions because I have tried with Advanced3DVConfig and I have to run with administrator privileges in order to run it and be able to change anything... Are you aware of that? Do you have idea how to solve it? Running CP form start menu with administrator rights, do not solve it. Maybe is my registry keys that have some restricted access for some reason ?
Changing registry keys generally require admin privileges. That's the reason why Advanced3DVConfig only works when you grant admin rights manually by right clicking -> run as admin. 3DFM claims admin rights automatically on startup to simplify the process.
Make sure you don't have "Lock Registry Key" enabled in Advanced3DVConfig because it removes write permissions for the "System" user which means that the Nvidia driver can't write to the registry any more. Nvidia Control Panel can't save settings persistently then...
Darkbluesky wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:36 am Aside of the delay of 3-4 seconds in some windows screens (settings...) or other programs (need to have 3D disabled for normal work then)
Yeah that's the drawback of using DCH drivers but you have no other choice on your laptop. On default drivers the lag wouldn't happen. I would recommend to turn off 3D whenever not needed.
Darkbluesky wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:36 am EDIT: Aside of the previous effects, I have just seen that with 3D enabled is not possible to drag & drop the start menu "boxes" around to arrange it...they just disappear if you try to drag them.
Not happening here. Maybe another issue with DCH drivers?! I have default drivers installed and use "StartIsBack" which is an alternative start menu for Windows 10 which looks like the one of Windows 7. I haven't seen those annoying "boxes" since years :->.
Darkbluesky wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:36 am Thanks for this application. I would have not kept on 3Dstereo without it: currently I have too little free time to tweak things around, and it have saved me a lot of times. Thanks!
You're welcome. That's exactly the reason I developed 3DFM to save time and open up 3D for most people who are interested. Even when people think they are pros and don't need 3DFM it turns out we are just humans... we forget how we fixed a problem in the past and re-invest much time to find the same solution again. Having those things automated is much more efficent. Finally we want to have fun and play in 3D and not waste life time for weird issues.

Darkbluesky
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Darkbluesky »

Thanks for your reply. Advanced3DVConfig has not enabled the "Lock Registry Key" (I have checked and unchecked, just in case). NV CP still is not able to save settings... I think if that's another problem of DCHs. It would be fine if someone on DCHs could confirm it.

Yes, the start menu problem was not there when I was using the desktop, I guess is a DCH thing too.

helifax
Sharp Eyed Eagle!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Post by helifax »

Darkbluesky wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:07 pm Thanks for your reply. Advanced3DVConfig has not enabled the "Lock Registry Key" (I have checked and unchecked, just in case). NV CP still is not able to save settings... I think if that's another problem of DCHs. It would be fine if someone on DCHs could confirm it.

Yes, the start menu problem was not there when I was using the desktop, I guess is a DCH thing too.
Yes, I am running DCH drivers on my Alienware Area 51m Laptop since I bought it. (The Standard drivers don't have the HW-ID for my GPU and I can't be bothered to mod every new standard driver to support it ^_^. I have modded 452.06 for my Alienware M17 - with an 880M which has a native 3D Vision Ready built-in display, on which they dropped support in 2019 - Funny, the 860M is still supported, but not the 880M - Guess they didn't sell a lot of laptops with 880Ms ^_^).

Anywho, I am running DCH drivers - 452.06 - I have used 3D Fix Manager to install 3D Vision driver. I can set any values (separation, and shortcut keys from 3DFM) and they are stored. My Windows user has Administrator rights. I don't have any issues with using the DCH 452.06 driver with 3D Vision (using an external DP-to-DVI adapter and 3D Vision Ready Monitor) or on my Alienware m17 (with built-in 3D Vision Ready Display).
(I know.. clunky as hell...but let's thank NVIDIA for their approach regarding LOCKED DOWN 3D VISION ^_^)

Not sure how much this helps, but maybe?! :lol:

Cheers,
Helifax
http://3dsurroundgaming.com:
- Home of OGL3DVision wrapper & Vk3DVision - Play your favourite OpenGL & Vulkan games in Stereoscopic 3D using Nvidia 3D Vision OR Virtual Reality using HelixVision(https://store.steampowered.com/app/1127310/HelixVision/)
- Home of some of my UHD Surround/Eyefinity/21:9/32:9 Fixes. (Or you can always check http://pcgamingwiki.com/)

Want to contribute to the development of Vk3DVision? You can check my Patreon Page for the project: https://www.patreon.com/Vk3DVision. If you still like my project but don't want to contribute monthly you can always send me a PayPal: tavyhomeppal@hotmail.com.

You can always follow me on Twitter: @OctavianVasilov

Darkbluesky
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Darkbluesky »

Thanks for commenting. Do you know some guide to modify the driver (I guess an inf file...) to be able to install the standard drivers? Its a pita do it for each driver update, I guess, but maybe could help.

I have also administrator rights, I have tried to set run as admin in CP executable, and giving Total control to permissions of 3DVision registry folder/keys...no luck. I have installed the same way than you, but still not able to set them. It is strange because other settings, mot 3DVision related, are saved. Even activating 3DVision from NV CP works normally (with DCH delay, but it works). Only separation, type of screen or hotkeys are not saved...

Darkbluesky
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Darkbluesky »

I could not save any setting in 3D, no matter if from 3DFixManager, NV CP, Advanced3DVision, even Ctrl+F7 ingame: any of them will save settings. Some apps (3DFM or Advanced3DVision tool seems to save it, but then you launch the game and they are not really saved.

Nobody has this problem? Some idea I could test? I have found similar behaviour on old threads regarding NV CP 3D settings (but no 3DVision), anyway they have not worked. I tried DDU, but no luck. Maybe if I could install Standard drivers (modding inf file, how?) I would have more chance...

Any suggestion is welcome... Thanks!

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”