Vk3DVision - A Vulkan 3D Vision Driver

lohan
Cross Eyed!

Re: Vk3DVision - A Vulkan 3D Vision Driver

Post by lohan »

To me it's totally clear that FPS-games are definitely not the genre for toyfication! But since you chose a whopping default convergence-value, I needed to know how that's possible as the weapon for me totally splits with this convergence value. I will definitely try your suggestion with 3DFM. But didn't Markus say that he is going to include the new Vulkan games in the NEXT 3DFM release? I didn't find any update yet!?

Scarhead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Scarhead »

Hi guys,
I can't start Doom Eternal. I see 3D Vision kicking in (monitor green light) and I can hear the Doom music but the screen stays black endlessly. In the game folder 100 exeption.dmp files were created. I think I followed the instructions in the readme correctly, but maybe I missed something? Anybody has an idea?
Driver is 452.06.

whyme466
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV

Post by whyme466 »

Are you following all of helifax's instructions, including launching VK3DVsion first, and leaving it running when you launch Doom Eternal? I am using 4K EDID override (with standard 3D Vision mode setting), Windows 10 1809, and BringBack3DV modified driver version 452.06 - my game launched correctly first time.

Lysander
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lysander »

Scarhead, this is exactly what was happening to me, please look ba k a few pages for the solution, it involves a 3DFM setting.
Ryzen 5 3600X, RTX2060, 16GB ram, Windows 1909, nVidia 452.06, SSD.

Scarhead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Scarhead »

Lysander wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:27 am Scarhead, this is exactly what was happening to me, please look ba k a few pages for the solution, it involves a 3DFM setting.
Yes, changing the option in 3DFM did it!
I must have skipped the page with the solution accidently when I looked for it in the forum.

THX

lohan
Cross Eyed!

Post by lohan »

I would like to know which convergence settings you are using in the VK3DVision.ini. No way I am able to use the 2.5 value that is set as default (at 70% depth). Also, shouldn't most Glory Kills totally prevent the use of high convergence settings? I mean those Glory Kills are close-up overkill! So in my book that makes even thinking of high convergence settings obsolete. Highest I can go before the weapon starts to look split, even when concentrating the view, is 0.8 convergence for me (at 70% depth). I would like to know your convergence values (please also name the depth value you are using).

Lysander
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lysander »

lohan wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:23 am To me it's totally clear that FPS-games are definitely not the genre for toyfication! But since you chose a whopping default convergence-value, I needed to know how that's possible as the weapon for me totally splits with this convergence value. I will definitely try your suggestion with 3DFM. But didn't Markus say that he is going to include the new Vulkan games in the NEXT 3DFM release? I didn't find any update yet!?
I just realised this playing Crysis 2 and reading these comments. I played a few FPS games before and they felt less impressive than many 3rd person games and it finally hit me - DUH! I adjusted convergence in Crysis 2 to the weapon and everything felt kinda flat. So I raised it to the point where the weapon kinda sticks out a bit too much but still bearable and at least the world in front of me has much more depth. I figured if I was holding the weapon so close in real life I wouldnt be able to focus on it either :D but yeah, I'm curious if there is a nice solution to this (and I dont want to hide the weapon).

Skawen
Cross Eyed!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by Skawen »

Helifax! I don't know how to thank You, because without You I haven't been playing one of my new favorite game.

This game with Your magnificent fix is superb.

Thank You a thousand times :)

Some pics:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

helifax
Sharp Eyed Eagle!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Post by helifax »

lohan wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:21 pm I would like to know which convergence settings you are using in the VK3DVision.ini. No way I am able to use the 2.5 value that is set as default (at 70% depth). Also, shouldn't most Glory Kills totally prevent the use of high convergence settings? I mean those Glory Kills are close-up overkill! So in my book that makes even thinking of high convergence settings obsolete. Highest I can go before the weapon starts to look split, even when concentrating the view, is 0.8 convergence for me (at 70% depth). I would like to know your convergence values (please also name the depth value you are using).
The depth value is exactly that 70%. This is the value that is sent to the driver. It is the equivalent of the value set in Nvidia Control Panel or 3DFM. This is not a depth override factor, but THE factor :)
The actual separation is computed like this: eye_separation * depth (1-100%). Nvidia computes the eye separation as: 65 mm / physical width of your monitor. Based on this, you can clearly see that at a 27 inch screen the separation will be smaller than at 49 inch screen. That's why 70% is fine for me and not fine for you.
Like I said, override the monitor size using 3DFM and let the driver think you are using a 27 inch screen not a 49 one :)

Hope this helps.

Edit: If you are not using 3DVision, SBS/TB/VR for example the eye separation is computed by me and should always be the same for all devices. so, this should affect anyone.
But that's why the separation & convergence values are configurable, to set them how you like them :)
http://3dsurroundgaming.com:
- Home of OGL3DVision wrapper & Vk3DVision - Play your favourite OpenGL & Vulkan games in Stereoscopic 3D using Nvidia 3D Vision OR Virtual Reality using HelixVision(https://store.steampowered.com/app/1127310/HelixVision/)
- Home of some of my UHD Surround/Eyefinity/21:9/32:9 Fixes. (Or you can always check http://pcgamingwiki.com/)

Want to contribute to the development of Vk3DVision? You can check my Patreon Page for the project: https://www.patreon.com/Vk3DVision. If you still like my project but don't want to contribute monthly you can always send me a PayPal: tavyhomeppal@hotmail.com.

You can always follow me on Twitter: @OctavianVasilov

Pauldusler

Post by Pauldusler »

Scarhead wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:35 am Hi guys,
I can't start Doom Eternal. I see 3D Vision kicking in (monitor green light) and I can hear the Doom music but the screen stays black endlessly. In the game folder 100 exeption.dmp files were created. I think I followed the instructions in the readme correctly, but maybe I missed something? Anybody has an idea?
Driver is 452.06.
You need the driver hack to make the game work in 3D - otherwise you will just see a black screen. 3DFM 1.79 solves your issues automatically now.

@Lohan: I agree. The convergence value of 2.5 in Doom Eternal is far too high - I also see the weapon doubled on my Asus 27" 3D monitor. Though I'm not sure whether it is due to using an "unofficial" version of the game :->. 3DFM 1.79 forces the convergence value to 0.7 therefore... I'll buy the game on haloween sale. If convergence number with original Steam version are too low then I'll reset it to Helifax's original value. I'm sure he set the 2.5 convergence value for a good reason. But currently both HelixVision and 3D Vision version have a too high convergence value for my game version and I had only this version to test stereo 3D with.

lohan
Cross Eyed!

Post by lohan »

Big thanks to both of you helifax and Paul!

I just recently found out that the screen size can be set within 3DFM and that's definitely the reason why I had to go so low with convergence in Doom Eternal (by default my screen was set to 27"). Setting a smaller screen-size than you actually have means you can go way higher with the separation (depth). I was using that kind of depth hack years ago with my Sony HMZ as I always felt the depth being too low, even at 100%. But going above and beyond with depth also means you have to lower convergence. I now set my screen correctly to 65" in 3DFM and now I can go way higher with convergence and I am quite happy with it (it's still way lower than helifax' 2.5).

Did I get it right Paul, that there is no way currently to save your desired depth/convergence settings when using 3DFM for the Vulkan games? I had no issues putting my values in the VK3DVision.ini when using the fixes manually. But when using the 3DFM version my settings in the VK3DVision.ini always get overwritten by the default values (for Doom 70% depth/0.7 convergence). BTW, I am using the official Bethesda version via Bethesda launcher.....

Pauldusler

Post by Pauldusler »

lohan wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:25 pm Big thanks to both of you helifax and Paul!

I just recently found out that the screen size can be set within 3DFM and that's definitely the reason why I had to go so low with convergence in Doom Eternal (by default my screen was set to 27"). Setting a smaller screen-size than you actually have means you can go way higher with the separation (depth). I was using that kind of depth hack years ago with my Sony HMZ as I always felt the depth being too low, even at 100%. But going above and beyond with depth also means you have to lower convergence. I now set my screen correctly to 65" in 3DFM and now I can go way higher with convergence and I am quite happy with it (it's still way lower than helifax' 2.5).
So you had a 27 inch override active on your 65 inch screen. The 70% 3D depth on your TV looked like 150% depth or so then. Yeah, when setting the override to 65 inch your maximum 3D depth is halfed and the convergence value is not perceived so strong any more. That's the general rule: when you lower 3D depth you can go higher with convergence. However in my case I'm not using a monitorSizeOverride on my 27" monitor and the convergence by default is far too high. My best guess is that it's due to the unofficial unpatched version ^^. Because on original Steam version of Doom 2016 convergence was fine out of the box.
lohan wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:25 pm Did I get it right Paul, that there is no way currently to save your desired depth/convergence settings when using 3DFM for the Vulkan games? I had no issues putting my values in the VK3DVision.ini when using the fixes manually. But when using the 3DFM version my settings in the VK3DVision.ini always get overwritten by the default values (for Doom 70% depth/0.7 convergence). BTW, I am using the official Bethesda version via Bethesda launcher.....
That's a very good question - currently the settings cannot be saved with a simple key press. At least I wouldn't know of. Though when pressing CTRL + F7 the convergence value gets saved to the driver profile and 3DFM either saves the convergence value to an own ini file on game exit. On next game launch 3DFM writes the saved convergence ini value back to the driver profile but convergence values from the driver profile are getting ignored by VulkanWrapper. I could easily improve this by writing the saved convergence value to Vk3DVision.ini instead of writing it to the driver profile. I'll add this for 3DFM 1.8. But maybe Helifax will add a hotkey for saving convergence anyway :).
In 3DFM I've currently set that the convergence value is overwritten with 0.7 on each game launch. You can change this in profile settings if you want another value or just remove that line.

helifax
Sharp Eyed Eagle!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Post by helifax »

To save a custom convergence of separation, Press F10 and open the UI. Update it in the ini file and Save the file.
It is as simple as that.
Why do people love to overengineer simple things? :P You don't need CTRL+F7 or any hacks to read from the Nvidia Profile etc... As a matter of fact the Nvidia Profile is not used at all.

Cheers,
Helifax
- Home of OGL3DVision wrapper & Vk3DVision - Play your favourite OpenGL & Vulkan games in Stereoscopic 3D using Nvidia 3D Vision OR Virtual Reality using HelixVision(https://store.steampowered.com/app/1127310/HelixVision/)
- Home of some of my UHD Surround/Eyefinity/21:9/32:9 Fixes. (Or you can always check http://pcgamingwiki.com/)

Want to contribute to the development of Vk3DVision? You can check my Patreon Page for the project: https://www.patreon.com/Vk3DVision. If you still like my project but don't want to contribute monthly you can always send me a PayPal: tavyhomeppal@hotmail.com.

lohan
Cross Eyed!

Post by lohan »

Pauldusler wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:08 am
So you had a 27 inch override active on your 65 inch screen. The 70% 3D depth on your TV looked like 150% depth or so then. Yeah, when setting the override to 65 inch your maximum 3D depth is halfed and the convergence value is not perceived so strong any more. That's the general rule: when you lower 3D depth you can go higher with convergence. However in my case I'm not using a monitorSizeOverride on my 27" monitor and the convergence by default is far too high. My best guess is that it's due to the unofficial unpatched version ^^. Because on original Steam version of Doom 2016 convergence was fine out of the box.
When using the proper 65" value for screen size, I could go as high as 2.1/2.2 with "Doom Eternal convergence" at 70% depth (if I remember it correctly). Currently, I am playing with 100% depth (screen-size set to 65") and 1.08 convergence. With these values I still have to focus the weapon just a little bit to see it clearly but overall it's quite comfortable.

Great to discover the intricacies of 3DFM, even after using it for years now! :-) Just found out yesterday, that I don't need to use the manual eye swapper every time when using 3DFM (just use Reversed Interlaced 3D Passive as display-type). One thing that still puzzles me is the "Display-Type"-Pop-Up Window (where you can choose between monitor, TV and projector) that comes up when launching a game . I would like to know what it does. What is that option good for? Since I am using a 65" 4K TV that is detected as a monitor (via EDID Hack) I am always contemplating which option I should use. So far I always chose the first option (monitor) and was perfectly fine with it. Still, I would like to know.....

helifax
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by helifax »

Vk3DVision 1.0.3:

Bug fixes:
- Fixed a nasty bug in Layout Descriptor Set (found by Masterotaku in Serious Sam Fusion).
- Fixed a problem that was making the creation of D3D11 device fail for Kepler Mobile GPUs (GTX 880M) and Laptops with Optimus. This had to do with D3D11 Feature Level Support. Apparently, the 880M doesn't fully support 11.1 even under Windows 10 :shock: I reverted back to 11.0 and for what I am using it currently it seems to work perfectly fine!

I know some people tried Vk3DVision on Windows 7 and from the crash dumps, it seems to kinda be the same issue.
So, Please, if you could grab the latest version and try again on Windows 7, it would be awesome! It might work, or it still might not work :lol: , but it would be great for a test :)

All my 3 fixes have been updated to version 1.0.3 as well :)

Cheers,
Helifax

skyrimer

Post by skyrimer »

I've found something that really surprised me:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comme ... lay_death/

Basically, someone is playing Death Stranding on a graphic card that doesn't support dx12 by using a wrapper that converts dx12 games into Vulkan called vkd3d. Maybe this is well known, but it sounds promising for making current dx12 games work in 3d with vk3dvision.

Video:

https://youtu.be/mi4B_nRHhSc

Vkd3d github :

https://github.com/d3d12/vkd3d
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
NVIDIA 1080 Ti MSI AERO
VR: Pimax 8k & Index controllers

Visit http://www.gamermovil.com for a ton of mobile news and more!

Lysander
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lysander »

Oh wow. Not much in the readme.txt in that github account but that's really intriguing, especially that someone actually ran a modern game on it. I couldn't find instructions anywhere but in the reddit comments someone said that u can see in Afterburner which API the game uses so if we can learn how to run it on Vulkan then someone familiar with Helifaxs wrapper can see if they can hunt shaders!

Lysander
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lysander »

Instructions from a user:

"To use VKD3D on Windows you'll need Proton.

You'll need two DLLs from the archive. Dxgi.dll (dxvk folder) and d3d12.dll (vkd3d-proton folder) from the archive. Put them inside the folder with your game's executable.

Use the right bit versions for your game DX12 game, otherwise it won't work. The are 32-bit and 64-bit versions (lib and lib64 folders in the archive)."

He links to this page where the Proton zip can be d/l'ded: https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/prot ... .9-GE-8-ST
Last edited by Lysander on Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

helifax
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by helifax »

In case you don't know what Proton is :))
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton

I think we are running a bit in circles, but! I looks interesting, if it works ^_^

(And that is why I love Valve & OpenVR & OpenSource code in general :ugeek: )

harisukro
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by harisukro »

Lysander
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lysander »

Well, I dropped the 2 32bit DLLs they mention into Shadow of the Tomb Raider folder and it launched but Afterburner shows DX12 so I guess the wrapper didn't kick-in.

ohJah5Ti1A
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ohJah5Ti1A »

The reason why I tried to get Vk3DVision working on linux earlier (viewtopic.php?p=173629#p173629)
is that (apart from not using windows) the above mentioned Proton (original Proton is this here btw: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton) is the so called "SteamPlay" - a Valve driven combination of several existing projects like wine, dxvk and others, which allows playing most windows games seamlessly under linux (Most of the working ones do work OOTB, others can be made to work with some tweaking, a few, mostly DRM related do not work).
The included dxvk project is a DirectX 9-11 to vulkan wrapper, so almost every directx game is a vulkan game using it.
dxvk also works on windows (unsupported without pre-built binaries afaik - see https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/889) so it might help to get many games working on VK3DVision using it. Unfortunately VK3DVision did not work on linux (Detroit refused to start as long as VK3DVision was running), but maybe this is no big issue and fixing it could help both linux and windows.
edit: vkd3d (a directx12 to vulkan wrapper) is part of Proton as well btw, it is currently in early stages but will probably mature quickly with Cyberpunk 2077 being DX12 only - which lousy decision)
edit2: sorry helifax, haven't seen your post here before: viewtopic.php?p=174301#p174301

RAGEdemon
Sharp Eyed Eagle!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by RAGEdemon »

I tested Vk3DVision performance to see to what degree bottlenecks exist, and how the CPU bug affects it.

Starting off, this is 2D CPU core scaling of the base game.

System:

2080 Ti OC
7700k @ 5.1GHz all core. (4c8t)
32GB 4000MHz CL16 memory
PCIe Optane XPoint SSD + RAM disk
Full specs in Sig at bottom.

Test Setup:
Vk3DVision.ini
-- VSync OFF
-- FPSLimit = 0
-- PresentSequential = true

Patched game .exe to allow infinite fps:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Detro ... frame_rate

Results:
--------------------------
GPU Limited Test results @ 2560x1600, all MAX - GPU@100% load:

3D OFF = 152 fps (disabled in nVidia control panel and Vk3DVision removed from game folder)
3D ON = 147 fps

Difference = negligible

CPU Limited Test results @ 1280x800, all MAX, - GPU@~70% load:

3D OFF = 246 fps (disabled in nVidia control panel and Vk3DVision removed from game folder)
3D ON = 237 fps
Difference = negligible

Conclusion:

Holy Mother of God, Helifax's genius wrapper suffers from virtual NO* CPU bottleneck, nor does it affect GPU performance!

If one recalls, 3D Vision as programmed by nVidia has a huge CPU bottleneck:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... ation-thr/

Furthermore, 3D Vision causes double the performance impact on the GPU because it renders both eyes before displaying them.

Helifax's ingenious solution to the latter problem was to display each eye's frame as it was generated, instead of waiting for both eyes. This parameter can be controlled by PresentSequential = true.
Note on this phenomenon: There was a misconception in the long past that this approach wouldn't work because both eyes would never see frames from the same point in time (which is needed for STATIC 3D images to work), but that is not a problem in actual reality with MOTION 3D;

- Long explanation in another post from years ago which I could dig up if there is any interest in understanding why it works. Simple answer: Put your 3D glasses on and look around your real room, your moving hand, a real person walking, a pet etc - it all looks perfectly 3D even though both eyes are never receiving the same "frames".
*Improvement to testing in the future: The game scales to 6c6t, so it is conceivable that a CPU bottleneck might manifest if tested with a 6 core 6 thread system. Current test system is 4c8t.

Well done to Helifax for this amazing piece of technology. Simply astonishing! He managed to do what nVidia could never do after years of ongoing complaints.
Edit: Clarity | Windows 10 64-Bit | 7700K @ 5.1GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3956MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | Oculus Rift CV1

Lysander
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lysander »

Makes me wish every game would be Vulkan now :)

I'm surprised there isn't more excitement about that D12->Vulkan thing, doesnt that mean we could make dx12 games 3D or am I missing something?

Lysander
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lysander »

RAGEdemon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:18 pm Furthermore, 3D Vision causes double the performance impact on the GPU because it renders both eyes before displaying them.
I don't really understand how this can be avoided, can you explain? I mean we HAVE To render 2x frames because it's 2 different camera positions in order to create the parallax. So 2x the frames sounds like a default to me for proper geometry-3D.

What am I not understanding?

RAGEdemon
Sharp Eyed Eagle!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by RAGEdemon »

Lysander wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:14 pm What am I not understanding?
Indeed the 2 frames need to be produced, but the 2 frames DON'T need to be EXACTLY at the same point in time in MOTION 3D, like they need to be in a STATIC 3D image.

Example 1 (default half fps):
Render Time:
1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4
3D Frames:
L R L R L R L R (half frame rate - default for 3D Vision and other shutter glasses techs)

You have to remember that with shutter glasses, when you receive the 2 images, they are shown to one eye before they are shown to the other eye. They are NOT shown at the same time because the shutter glasses blink alternately.

This means that the second image is shown to the second eye a tiny bit later than the first eye but your brain puts them together regardless, as if they ere shown at the same time.

BUT, we can also do Example 2:
Render Time:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
3D Frames:
L R L R L R L R (Full Frame Rate), which Helifax's wrapper allows.

Here, the frame shown to each eye, although from a different perspective, is actually moved ahead in time too just like real life or a pancake 2D game - it's not taken at the same time as the frame for the first eye like it was in Example 1. Here, you are seeing FULL fps in all it's glory, albeit not both eyes at the same time due to the LCD shutters blinking alternately.

The brain doesn't care - for the brain, all it sees is a 60fps video shown to the left eye, and a 60fps video shown to the right eye. The frames shown to each eye don't have to be taken at the same time for it to work.

As I said, it is very important that you test this for yourself, because for a lot of people it is a huge paradigm shift - they can't get their head around this idea because they believe both images have to be the same point in time, like they do with STATIC 3D photos.

Did you do the experiment that I described? It's important that you do this for yourself :)
Put your 3D glasses on and look around your real room, your moving hand, a real person walking, a pet etc - it all looks perfectly 3D even though both eyes are never receiving the same "frames".
In this quote, you are never receiving the same frames time twice because reality doesn't work like that.

There are advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages:
-- Literally Doubles FPS
-- Input lag due to frame delay is cut in half.
-- Smoother user experience
-- GPU is not 'wasting' half the frames

Disadvantage:
-- The biggest disadvantage is that this will NOT work well with LOW fps, as images approach STATIC image status of being a photo, e.g. 10fps. This is because the mind will start to notice the difference in time between the 2 frames. This limit of where your brain notices vs. doesn't notice is different for everyone. For me personally, it's about 20fps.

-- Very fast moving objects would likely have a bigger problem than slow moving objects. To what degree? It would again depend on person to person, and the FPS of course.

*Helifax prefers #1 default Half FPS - with his fast brain and his super HD triple monitor type exotic setups/resolutions, he likely notices the difference in low fps more than mine :)

*I prefer #2 Full fps, as I like to ensure games are running high >60fps anyway as a minimum goal, even if I have to drop all settings and resolutions to a minimum (and of course I have a slower brain! :lol: )
Edit: Clarity | Windows 10 64-Bit | 7700K @ 5.1GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3956MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | Oculus Rift CV1

helifax
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by helifax »

RAGEdemon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:18 pm
Results:
GPU Limited Test results @ 2560x1600, all MAX - GPU@100% load:

3D OFF = 152 fps (disabled in nVidia control panel and Vk3DVision removed from game folder)
3D ON = 147 fps

Difference = negligible

CPU Limited Test results @ 1280x800, all MAX, - GPU@~70% load:

3D OFF = 246 fps (disabled in nVidia control panel and Vk3DVision removed from game folder)
3D ON = 237 fps
Difference = negligible

Conclusion:

Holy Mother of God, Helifax's genius wrapper suffers from virtual NO* CPU bottleneck, nor does it affect GPU performance!
Very glad that somebody actually tested the performance 8-)
It is very easy to believe me when I say: "A lot of time and profiling went into making Vk3DVision as performant as possible", but I think seeing first hand is what really matters ;)

Cheers!
Helifax

ohJah5Ti1A
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ohJah5Ti1A »

Helifax, are you going to push the changes you did in your ReShade fork here: https://github.com/helifax/reshade?
Could be interesting for debugging.

helifax
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by helifax »

ohJah5Ti1A wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:51 am Helifax, are you going to push the changes you did in your ReShade fork here: https://github.com/helifax/reshade?
Could be interesting for debugging.
That is a public fork of reshade I did a long time ago... I can't even remember what I did there :)
As for Vk3DVision, the repository is private only (for the time being). 8-) Maybe at some point in the future it will be public, but not in the immediate future :geek:

Cheers,
Helifax

john105
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by john105 »

helifax wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:09 am Vk3DVision 1.0.3:

Bug fixes:
- Fixed a nasty bug in Layout Descriptor Set (found by Masterotaku in Serious Sam Fusion).
- Fixed a problem that was making the creation of D3D11 device fail for Kepler Mobile GPUs (GTX 880M) and Laptops with Optimus. This had to do with D3D11 Feature Level Support. Apparently, the 880M doesn't fully support 11.1 even under Windows 10 :shock: I reverted back to 11.0 and for what I am using it currently it seems to work perfectly fine!

I know some people tried Vk3DVision on Windows 7 and from the crash dumps, it seems to kinda be the same issue.
So, Please, if you could grab the latest version and try again on Windows 7, it would be awesome! It might work, or it still might not work :lol: , but it would be great for a test :)
Still no luck on Windows 7 unfortunately. But at least with 1.0.3 I can see a black screen and the game's blue cursor for a second :) I attached the dump in case you want to take a look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ohJah5Ti1A
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ohJah5Ti1A »

helifax wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:10 pm
That is a public fork of reshade I did a long time ago... I can't even remember what I did there :)
As for Vk3DVision, the repository is private only (for the time being). 8-) Maybe at some point in the future it will be public, but not in the immediate future :geek:
Hehe ok, thank you for the quick answer! :)

helifax
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by helifax »

JUST A HEADS-UP:

The latest PATCH/DLC for DOOM ETERNAL BROKE THE FIX :!: :!: :!:
They decided to STRIP Shader reflection, so all the shaders are now different! (and completely NAKED of any useful information!)

MAKE SURE YOU MAKE A COPY of the pre-updated version of the game if you want to have the fix running! (Then you can update away and still use the previous version ^_^).
I will look at some point on updating it, but... meah... :| no fun!

This was one of the SHIETEST MOVES ever... but I guess.. now that Id belongs to M$.... it doesn't really strikes anyone "as strange" :( Next thing it will be all "DX12 crap ultimate"! FR@CK VULKAN or OpenGL (Anything that is OPEN actually!) Let's all use Direct-SHIET-X! :mrgreen: :lol: /rant-over :shock:

BazzaLB
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BazzaLB »

I miss the days when you felt in control of your machine and its installed software.

Lysander
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lysander »

This was EXACTLY my fear when I heard the MS purchase news - that either they'll move their games to Windows Store or somehow tie them to their other systems and make our 3D lives harder. And BAM, here's the first example of that...dammit ;(
I don't have the game yet, but when I purchase, is there a way to install the version before this update? I think Steam offered a menu to choose a version?

helifax
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by helifax »

Lysander wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:26 pm This was EXACTLY my fear when I heard the MS purchase news - that either they'll move their games to Windows Store or somehow tie them to their other systems and make our 3D lives harder. And BAM, here's the first example of that...dammit ;(
I don't have the game yet, but when I purchase, is there a way to install the version before this update? I think Steam offered a menu to choose a version?
Rant aside, I don't think was done on purpose :D (or maybe, since it wasn't done in any of their previous games ^_^).
It's just some trigger happy software engineer that wanted to optimize even more :lol: Normally this doesn't matter for most people, user, as the reflection is only used for well debugging, but it makes our world harder than it needs to be :D

I will look at updating the fix in the future;) Lucky, they left the DOOM(2016) build alone! Fingers crossed it will remain like it is :D

floph
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by floph »

I think Steam allows you to install older versions of a game. I tried it a few times in the past and it worked for me. Here is a link to the guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1086279994
Apparently in seems this guide does not work anymore, but an updated method is found in the comments.

thebigdogma

Post by thebigdogma »

If you have the Bethesda Launcher version of the the game, you just need to have the launcher open, make sure that automatic game updates is turned off, then boot the game from the .exe to boot in offline mode, thus not allowing the patch to be installed.

helifax
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by helifax »

It's not all that bad! I managed to redo some part of the fix.

But this was possible SIMPLY because I can compare SBS the old version of the game (where I have full shader reflection) with the new version (without shader reflection) ^_^.
They also changed some of the Uniform/Constant Buffer layouts. Nothing bad, but obviously they did some work on the graphics side ;) (NO RTX support yet though ^_^ - not that I currently support it anyway ^_^).

But, I think it would be WISE to make a backup of game if you haven't already updated and keep it somewhere safe! I am not sure if in the future they will not change it even more :D
I'll work more on the updated fix and let you know when things are ready ;) (I'll also have to try the new DLC ^_^)

Cheers,
Helifax

Necropants
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by Necropants »

Damn too late, Steam automatically updated. =(

Lysander
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lysander »

ok, thank you Helifax. Maybe they made changes due to the new DLC.

Necropants, are you not able to choose a previous version via Steam? It's on the Betas tab in the game options in Steam library.

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”