Nvidia 3D Vision Clone?

Nick3DvB
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Nvidia 3D Vision Clone?

Post by Nick3DvB »

Hi Dave, sorry for the slow reply, I've been very bussy at work. Glad to hear you got 3Dvision working at last, not sure why you are having problems with the DVI / HDMI cable? I read that the H66 has problems with long or low grade cables so maybe try a shorter one to test, you might have to reboot the PC / Projector a few times to get it to detect properly??

I don't know why the contrast would be worse than with the laptop, I'm sure it's not the VGA cable, you might need to re-calibrate the projector video settings and / or video settings in the Nvidia control panel, try the dynamic range settings etc. What glasses are you using? BTW, to swap left / right you must use the invert funtion in the projector menu, the setting in PowerDVD doesn't seem to work, every time you switch out of full screen mode there is a 50/50 chance you will need to invert so try and keep it fullscreen after you start a video playing.

A new card might be a good idea anyway, even a cheap card would be MUCH faster than the 8500GT for games and would also support MVC so you could watch 3D bluray "ISO" rips smoothly. On your budget there are only really two cards worth thinking about, the Nvidia GT430 or the ATI HD6450. The ATI card might be better because you would not have to use the emulator to enable 3D for videos, it would also work with PowerDVD and it might solve your contrast issue, but remember that to play most games in 3D with an ATI card you would also have to buy a seperate "3D driver" like IZ3D or DDD TriDef, which costs another $25, but there are free trials of both.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/Sea ... ce&dir=asc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveDean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveDean »

Ye , I don't know why the stupid HDMI did not work... I tried 3 differnt cables and adapters and what not...
It works in the begining when the Computer is in the BIOS but when Windows come up - it's BLACK...

I think it's because it's DVI-D cable and not DVI-I like the Card says , but I'm not sure.

Anyway - I ordered the GeForce 430 like you recommended so I should receive it in few days and will try it then...

I also recplaced the VGA cable to a thicker one and that improved the quality a bit.
What I learnt was that the quality is GOOD when I'm on a LOWER REFRESH RATE but when I move to 120hz - it gets BAD...
So it's not so the VGA like the HERTZ so I think it's just the CARD that is not as strong for this rate , so thus - I got a new one.

I don't understand though - why did you recommend the 430 and not the 520 ? they were the same price...
Isn't the 520 NEWER and STRONGER ? it's a BIGGER number after all... :)

I love my MOVIES MEDIA SERVER - it has all the MP3 , FLACS , BLU RAYS , DVD's , 3D Movies , 3D Games... and it works great with everything.
I'm using ITUNES and MEDIA CENTER for the music and PowerDVD for the VIDEO and it's very nice.
I also installed some MEDIA SERVERS so I can wathc the MOVIES in my Living Room via the Wireless as all my movies now are in this computer.
I also watch NETFLIX on it and everyting... it's GREAT !
It was definetely worth it to have a PC in the PROJECTOR Room and it's also connected to the Yamaha AMP and that MUSIC is great ! especially all the FLACS...
Thanks again !
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

Did you try and re-sync the projector after windows has loaded? If you have another display connected at the same time it might be treating the projector as a secondary display and turning it off? DVI-I / DVI-D would not effect it, HDMI is digital anyway. The contrast will always drop at 120Hz because "3D mode" is enabled, all DLP projectors do this, most also disable colour enhancements and most other calibration settings just get ignored, but this would have been the same on the laptop, or with the ATI HD6450 card. The contast should look much better with the glasses on, if it doesn't you might have a problem with the DLPlink sync signal not being blocked properly for some reason, what glasses are you using? The GT240 is actually the fastest card of the three you listed, but it doesn't support audio bit-streaming or DX11, the GT430 should be much faster than the GT520 for games, so higher numbers are not always better, that's exactly what Nvidia's marketing guys want you to think...
DaveDean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveDean »

Does anyone knows if it is possible to play a MKV file with DTS sound in an AMP that does not support DTS ?
My Yamaha Amp is quite old - it supports AC3 , Dolby etc. but NOT DTS.
I got a few BluRay movies that come only with DTS Audio - and when I play them - they have no sound...

I dont want to convert the Video files to a different Audio format - neither do I know how - so I am wondering if there's a way or a tool that plays those movies and somehow converts it to AC3 or regular sound ?

All the other videos / dvd's I have are playing fine so it's just those few...

Any idea ?
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

FFdshow's audio decoder can do that, so can AC3Filter: http://ac3filter.net/wiki/Download_AC3Filter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can't use them with PowerDVD but they work great with the 3Dvision video player, so that's another reason to use it...
DaveDean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveDean »

Thanks. I will check that later and see if I can play those DTS movies with sound... that would be great !

To a different question - I want to experience the GAMES 3D thingy... what 3D Games do you recommend ?
I already have HALO 2 - Part 2 , which works nice but not really my style of game... what do you think are the BEST 3D Games ?
Will my XBOX 360 work on my Projector 3D as well via the DLP ?
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

Like I said before, I would start with source engine games like Half Life 2, Left for Dead, and Portal, they look great with the depth set to high and should run well on a low-end card, Bioshock also looks great in 3D and surprisingly Crysis 2 should run quiet well because of it's "fake 3D". It depends what games you like, if you don't like shooters maybe try a racing game like Need for Speed / Dirt 2. Assassin's Creed and Trine also look good in 3D. Have a look here:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=90883" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Xbox360 will work with a DLP projector but you would either need to plug it into the PC using an HDMI capture card or get an expensive stand-alone 3D converter, which would also work with 3D bluray players etc:

http://www.3d-vip.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.optomausa.com/products/detail/3D-XL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.avermedia.com/product/Produc ... spx?Id=499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveDean
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DaveDean »

I have one more question about the Resolution issue and was wondering if you have any opinion about it.
For the 3D Movies I watch - I put it on 1280x760 as it's the highest one that I can do 120hz.

However - for the regular movies I watch (not 3D) - that come with 720P or 1080P quality and are naturally 1,920x1080 pixels - do I just leave my resolution on the 1280x760 ??
Does it not lower the quality as the movie can be seen in 1920x1080 - so why I am on 1280x760 ??
The regular BluRay movies do NOT need 3D so they do not need 120hz...
Can I even enjoy 1080P BluRay when I'm on such a low Resolution in my projector or does it not matter as the Player will adjust things anyway ?? I'm puzzled about it...

So what do you guys do - do you change resolution for higher one or leave it on the 120hz one that is LOWER ?

I don't know if that's an issue but I have the Optoma HD66 Projector - does it show 1080P movies at all ?

Thanks again
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I'd say use the native resolution of your projector, the scaling should be better done by a software than by the internal scaler of your display. You can see the difference by using the non-native resolution while displaying the Windows desktop, usually it's quite awful. So for Blu-Ray just keep the 720p (or 760p) resolution. No need to use a 120Hz graphics mode though, 60Hz should be enough if your video player is able to adapt the 24im/s to 60Hz.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

I was having the same problem as CeridianMN (http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 860#p60860) and I was able to install the dll in Windows 7 64-bit by:

1) Opening a command prompt as Administrator
2) Going to the 3Dvision folder
3) Entering regsvr32 /u "3d_x64.dll"
4) Entering regsvr32 "3d_x64.dll". Note that I didn't use the /i flag for regsvr32.

I then ran enablestereo.bat from the command prompt and Windows finally installed the Nvidia driver! :)
Guig2000

Post by Guig2000 »

Hello, usually I use iZ3D driver+ planar, I rarely use 3D vision on my win7 64, for test purpose.
So I did not use it from a long time and of course with the emulator. I use it with a crt, 1024*768@100Hz, edim glasses and ed activator.
But I have a problem: on my previous try it was working fine but now, usually after a few minutes, there is a big slow down like if the game was freezing and on event viewer I've a lot of errors about nvidia driver.
If I use 3Dvision in anaglyph "discoverer" mode there is no problem.
Of course I have disabled iZ3D. I use nvidia 270 driver, newer are not compatible with iZ3D+D3D10/11, so I do not install them at the moment.

Does the emulator is known to have this kind of issues?

EDIT: Zoide you don't need to type enablestereo.bat manually into command prompt each time: you can use a shortcut if you fill "start in" with the path of the batch file.
laast
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by laast »

Bad news, emitter emulator no longer works with Nvidia R290 drivers. I was using it with my Samsung plasma to provide 100% Checkerboard support (to disable red warning) but now no way to install 3D drivers...
nxsfan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nxsfan »

laast wrote:Bad news, emitter emulator no longer works with Nvidia R290 drivers. I was using it with my Samsung plasma to provide 100% Checkerboard support (to disable red warning) but now no way to install 3D drivers...
I enabled checkerboard output using the very latest nvidia beta drivers 290.53 without too much trouble. The emulator still works perfectly, I had to manually select the driver for the emulated device within device manager. Once done I went through the 3D Vision wizard and it detected the USB IR emitter and defaulted to DLP display.

3D Vision was not working correctly however on a resized desktop and the hotfix to resolve this has been removed apparently.

EDIT: I realised later that during manual selection I installed the 285.62 driver for the USB emitter. If you use the 290 emitter driver the device won't "start" and hence 3D vision can't be enabled.
TimeMaster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TimeMaster »

Hi there, I'm having troubles to enable 3D vision with the emulator.

I got the emulator working after a lot of trouble and now the 3D emitter is detected by the wizard but after detecting my DLP Display (optoma hd67n 3D vision ready) it starts showing me 3D in anaglyph mode!! I don't know why, but it's just anaglyph. And any 3D application detects anaglyph too when 3D vision is on.

When using Stereoscopic player to play movies the 3D works perfect. I don't know what else I can do...
Nick3DvB

Post by Nick3DvB »

This seems to be a common problem with the new 290 beta drivers, mainly for CRT owners, it's not related to the emulator,

try loading this H5360 inf in device manager, reboot then re-run the 3Dvision wizard: http://www.ixbt.com/dvd/benq/w600/Acer_H5360.inf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

good luck!

8)
TimeMaster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TimeMaster »

Nick3DvB wrote:This seems to be a common problem with the new 290 beta drivers, mainly for CRT owners, it's not related to the emulator,

try loading this H5360 inf in device manager, reboot then re-run the 3Dvision wizard: http://www.ixbt.com/dvd/benq/w600/Acer_H5360.inf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

good luck!

8)
Nevermind, I got it working. The trick is:

Install everything which comes with the 3D vision emulator (32 bit or 64 bit, depending on your windows).
Install the last version of nvidia drivers (290 beta at this point)**It is not directly compatible with the emulator, but doesn't matter
Decompress the version 285 of the drivers
Run "enablestereo.bat". It will detect the virtual emitter but probably will say it cannot found the drivers
Don't let it search for driver on its own. You should navigate through the folders, go to 285 folder, search for 3d vision, usb 3d vision driver and select the nvm...idontknowwhatelse (the only file you'll find there)
Just let it install it
Voilà

Thanks for the help
QueueCumber
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by QueueCumber »

Questions:

What mode does this workaround use for transmitting the 3D signal?

Does it use frame sequential or a lesser resolution once it is in place?

I'm wondering if I will get the same level of resolution using this fix using the NVidia 3d Vision 2 kit with the Samsung S27A950D vs. using the kit with an Asus VG278H that is made to run the NVidia 3D vision 2 kit.

Is there less picture quality and/or resolution quality using the workaround than you would get otherwise (i.e. do you need to use side by side mode on the Samsung instead of the higher resolution frame sequential outputs)?

Thanks!

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”