Iz3d. Zalman or DLP Projector for 3d?

krayn
One Eyed Hopeful

Iz3d. Zalman or DLP Projector for 3d?

Post by krayn »

Hi,
i'm new to 3d games, i only tried the nvidia stereo driver with anaglyph glasses, i want to buy some hardware for play in a good 3d.

I don't know wich setup is better for a very good 3d experience, what do u suggest to buy?
I noticed while playng in anaglyph a very big drop of fps, like in Need for speed pro street. In "2d" i play at like 50-60 Frame but when i put anaglyph mode on, the fps go down to like 15-20, it will be the same with other 3d setup?

Thank you, and sorry about my bad english :P
Fabio.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Iz3d. Zalman or DLP Projector for 3d?

Post by LukePC1 »

krayn wrote:Hi,
In "2d" i play at like 50-60 Frame but when i put anaglyph mode on, the fps go down to like 15-20, it will be the same with other 3d setup?
For S-3D have to be rendered two different perspectives/frames. That is about twice the amount of calculations compared to only one perspective.
From 50 to below 20 is a serious hit! Did you use a program (FRAPs) for that or 'just' your Eyes? Maybe it's 'just' half the framerate :roll:
The human eye can not realy tell the difference after a certain point. Then it's smooth.
FPS depend on resolution, too --> Low res = High FPS

Maybe you'd like to use a different language. Here you can find the language forums ;-)
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=40

PS: Anaglyph needs additional calculation (to make it anaglyph), so it might be even less than half the FPS

To hardware: In the moment it's mainly a problem of drivers - so a projector is only good, if you've got 'old' hardware (gf7) and games.
Iz3D seems to work quite good at the moment.
Zalman will run on the nvidia driver, which is to be released somewhen. Unfortunatly Nvidia was not that trustworthy with S-3D drivers in the last (15) months.
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
krayn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by krayn »

Thank you for the reply, the problem is that the iz3d monitor cost too much.
I think a zalman will cost less because there are 2 reseller here in italy...
I heard that the zalman monitor in 3d mode will split the horizontal resolution, is that true?

I don't know what to do, i don't want to spend like 1250 USD for the iz3d (250$ of shipping....), there isn't another choise?

Thank you,
Fabio.
Xerion
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Xerion »

I bought my DLP projector just before the news of the new nvidia drivers being zalman exclusive. Quite a bummer. However the games I can now already play are very awesome, things being way bigger, even lifesize makes the immersion much better. Also I'm having no ghosting at all unlike I was having on my CRT. Only downside is that I get parallax inversion, but using the e-dimensional / R3D tool or whatever it's name is to enable the shutter glasses allows me to fix it just by turning on and off stereo a few times :p

Anyway, the difference on immersion because of the size of the projection is so big, even a 50" screen (like the samsung DLP and now also Plasma TVs) seems to be on the small side to me. These "small" monitors like the zalman and iz3d are of no interest to me anymore, but I'm probably in the minority here.

I still think HMD's are the ultimate solution for immersion, but as my VR920 has taught me there's a long way to go. The most important thing to increase there is not the resolution as you might think, but rather the FOV. What I want is to actually see the game world around me, not on a virtual screen in front of my eyes. To a point this is actually happening when I use my projector; the screen is so big it fills a lot of the space my eyes can see. Maybe I should get multiple projectors and play cave quake ;)
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

You could arrange light transmissive Screens around you and project the image on the back of the screen. So you dont's stand in the light of the projectors.
I've seen it at a science institute. It consumes a LOT of space. Several rooms, on different stages and a room for the server.
I'd like to have something like that at home :lol:

But with no space a CRT isn't that bad. You can try to ignore the ghost images and have fun. After playing long enough you don't notice you're not on a sofa, but on a chair...
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Xerion
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Xerion »

Yeah the space is even more of a problem than the money even though I'm not very rich ;)

Having problems even fitting one "screen" here and it's not even a proper screen, but a bedsheet spanned across my room. And still results are better than on my CRT ;)
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
krayn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by krayn »

Are you sure that the new driver from nvidia will be only for the zalman monitor?

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”