e-dimensional E-D 3D Glasses for the PC & LCD TFT monit

Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

e-dimensional E-D 3D Glasses for the PC & LCD TFT monit

Post by Silversurfer »

Hello all

This is my first post because I'm on the brink of ordering my first 3-D product having just watched Beowulf at the IMAX 3-D cinema in Manchester UK and being blown away! My first foray was going to be the e-dimensional E-D Wired 3D Glasses for the PC on the basis that they would work with my new Gateway 30" ExtremeHD™ Widescreen High-Definition LCD Flat-Panel Display, Response Time 6ms (gray to gray), Maximum Vertical Frequency: 60Hz, Maximum Horizontal Frequency: 74KHz, and after having LCD compatibility confirmed by the technical support team at e-dimensional, (I will include a link to the questions I asked them and their answers at the end of this thread).

But of course you know the question I'm going to ask having done my research and not having a real world test but going off the word of a business outlet only.

1. Will it be a waste of money to try this type of 3-D shutter glasses technology on an up to date (release date November 2007) monitor versus the older slower response time LCD monitors like my Dell 2405 LCD 12ms typical (Grey to Grey) / 16ms typical (Black to White), 30 kHz to 81 kHz (automatic) Vertical scan range 56 Hz to 76 Hz, exception 1680 x 1200 & 1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz only?

I'm looking for real world users opinions on LCD TFT monitors + e- dimensional 3-D wired or wireless glasses + the e- dimensional drivers and / or the latest NVIDIA current or beta stereo drivers for the 8800 series graphics card (8 Series (8600, 8800. 8900) EXPERIMENTAL Beta Drivers

158.22 Beta Stereo Driver (Windows XP version, EXPERIMENTAL)
158.22 Forceware (Windows XP)

97.94 Beta Stereo Driver (Windows XP version, EXPERIMENTAL)
Forceware 97.94 Beta (8800 Series Forceware, XP Version)
6, 7, and 8 Series Card Drivers

162.15 Beta Stereo Driver (Windows XP version, EXPERIMENTAL)
162.18 Beta Forceware Driver (Windows XP)
162.50 WHQL Forceware Driver (Windows XP)
162.50 Beta Stereo Driver - Released 08/13/07, 12:30PM EST (Windows XP version, EXPERIMENTAL) = only available to "Meant to Be Seen" - www.MTBS3D.com registered members - free registration-so what are you waiting for join today and receive member discounts! End of advocacy advertising :-)

2. If this shutter glasses 3-D technology isn't the way to go due to your real world user extended testing is there any other 3-D glasses or screen filter I can apply over my 30 inch monitor to gain stereoscopic 3-D gaming?

I am also aware that NVIDIA outgoings the Vista only route with their upcoming drivers but I'm not sure if they will only work on Zalman NVIDIA recommended LCD monitor, so it would be nice if somebody in the know confirmed this or not?
anyway I think that covers my initial questions so I would be grateful if somebody, preferably an end user who can compare e- dimensional shutter glasses on his CRT versus his LCD monitor setup, so we can answer this question once and for all and get more new 3-D members involved and boost 3-D gaming and the multi-media watching profile to move it to the next level i.e. registered as an affordable and do-able option on the thousands of NVIDIA and ATI graphics cards currently owned and used by the unsuspecting average enthusiastic gamer like myself, who knew - because NVIDIA doesn't advertise or promote its current and previous 3-D graphics card feature set!

Here's hoping we can get the ball rolling :-) because LCD TFT monitor's are well-established and aspired to by all and sundry as their monitor next purchase, so the 3-D component and accessory manufacturers need to do what e- dimensional have done that is bridge the gap between the expensive 3-D monitors and the affordable 3-D glasses solutions or it is going to take an awfully long time for 3-D gaming and the multimedia sector to become mainstream or affordable eventually when the 3-D monitors are just £100 pounds / $200 dollars premium over the same size 2-D equivalent monitor, don't you think so, opposed to the current treble or quadruple premium currently paid in 2007 / 2008?

This of course excluding the excellent "Meant to Be Seen" - www.MTBS3D.com registered members discount 5% off the current retail price of $999 for the upcoming 22" iZ3D monitor. You can more than DOUBLE this discount and save $100 off the iZ3D 22" retail price by getting at least five of your friends to join by clicking on the "Spread the Word, Save a Fortune" tab! For the iZ3D Monitor (can you tell I was a sales manager before I retired - LOL).

Any help appreciated as we’ll all benefit in the long run by having this question answered, cheers SilverSurfer :-)

PS. I've also started a thread at the excellent
http://www.stereo3d.com/discus/messages ... 1200759452,
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=57490
& http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopi ... 36#p315036 forums with the exact same subject title to spread to the 3D word!
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

I wouldn't try to run a LCD with shutterglasses.
1) If it worked, you'd have max 76/2hz --> 38hz per eye. It'll be flickering noticable, but still playable - if the rest works.
2) The Nvidia Drivers don't do realy much with series8 cards. You could try them out for free with anaglyph glasses - just to check, which applications run. Anaglyph might have even less ghosting than shutters with lcd...
3) You could try to use the ED drivers. They 'work' with every GPU kind. But they are from 2005! You could try them out without the glasses - just to see, if games do anything or crash.

4) Grey to grey is not a good value to describe the ghosting you'd get, if it worked, because sometimes you've got black to white or the opposite. If that values were 13ms it'd be a complete Refresh cycle of the screen (delay of 1 'frame'). If the LCD had higher values the drive'd have a lot to take in account (send the picture more early)

If you can borrow another LCD, you might be able to build something like THIS:
http://www.wow3d.de/print.php?threadid= ... 6a9d1329f7
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Silversurfer

Post by Silversurfer »

Thank you for your quick reply; I've got plenty of research to do now.

1). I do have an old 20 inch CRT cornerstone monitor I can use at the pitch.
2). At the NVIDIA drivers on this website for the series8 cards fully functional and what about the series9 cards just around the corner? Looks like I'll have to order a pair of Anaglyph spectacles, can't believe that out of all the free 3D glasses I have in my bottom drawer not one of them is red and green!

3). If I download the ED drivers don't I have to use them only with their shutter glasses? And with then being so old 2005 does it mean they are going out of business or that the modern games will might not work with them? I suppose I could try them without the glasses like you suggest and see how well the games work under XP.

4). So much for this monitor being the latest breaking technology quad core high-definition if the refresh rate isn't high enough! My signature isn't showing up on my post but I do have a 24 inch Dell LCD monitor but where do I start on a project like the one at the site you recommended?

Finally it seems to me being new to the 3-D technology with regard to the monitors and glasses that some progress need to be made to bring them into the 21st century and it's only my geek retired I.T. Manager genes that is pushing me to continue experimenting with technology which the average Joe couldn't be bothered to do. So much for this market going mainstream!

Anyway thanks again for your input, I will post here either way on my progress but I have a feeling this is going to be slowly slowly catchy monkey, Silversurfer
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

Silversurfer wrote: 2). (...)Looks like I'll have to order a pair of Anaglyph spectacles, can't believe that out of all the free 3D glasses I have in my bottom drawer not one of them is red and green!
Well I believe you could change the colors of the Anaglyph a little (in Nvidia driver somewhere).
If you've got glasses with red/blue or red/cyan they should work without changing anything (you might get a little 'ghosting' --> Wrong picture is visible). Anaglyph glasses are only for 'testing' purposes, because you won't get colors and it can't be good for the eyes in longterm.

About the drivers on this site: I don't own a series 8 card, but many users kept complaining about them. I wouldn't expect much of them (except on series7 cards) :roll:

If they don't work directly, it might be 1) Multicore: Not every game suports S-3D with multi-CPU's. Disable all but one core (not that great...) You could use nHancer or Boot options.
2) The game has some failure...
3) The game seems to turn 3D, but is still Flat (e.g. Unreal3 engine with Nvidia...)
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Okta

Post by Okta »

Im considering getting these glasses even though i only have a 60hz lcd amd 8800gt. I have tried the drivers and these are the only drivers that i can find that work on my system. Iz3d dont work at all and kinddragons crashes. Its a pitty the Edimensional drivers dont do anaglyh, there is a stereomode setting in the .ini but it doesnt seem to do different modes.

WIll these glasses work AT ALL with my lcd? because i seem to have the drivers working in many games although there is a massive slowdown i need to work out.
winch8
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: e-dimensional E-D 3D Glasses for the PC & LCD TFT monit

Post by winch8 »

hello, for what concern these edimensional shutter glases for lcd, i read some reviews that said they work well enough, but how would the final image quality be? as long as they work with interlacing the image definition should be halved in the vertical resolution that is to say if you play 1440x900 it would be like 1440x450 or 1280x1024 would be like 1280x512 and so on...
if anyone has ever tried would they be like these comparison shots?
http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/displayim ... ?pos=-2085" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; full resolution
http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/displayim ... ?pos=-2084" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; half vertical resolution

http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/displayim ... ?pos=-2083" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; full resolution
http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/displayim ... ?pos=-2082" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; half vertical resolution

thanks bye

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”