Edimensional 3d glasses GF8800GTS and LCD scrn need some hlp

arimail
One Eyed Hopeful

Edimensional 3d glasses GF8800GTS and LCD scrn need some hlp

Post by arimail »

Hello all the great people at mtbs. I recently picked up my eDimensional shutter glasses. Last time I used them was on a 19" CRT screen. Now I have a viewsonic 19" LCD screen, which can handle refresh rates up to 75Hz. Now first of all, i ALWAYS get some error msg when using the ed-controller driver while starting up my games. Some about direct3d (evil genius), and some others are cryptic memory adresses and stuff like that. (Half Life2 ""Episode 1 etc).

Secondly I tried some JPS images and the ed-controller test, with interleaved mode. The 3d effect isn't really the same as on my CRT. The only 3d effect i get, is that I get a little idea about what is in front and what is in the back. eDimensional states that their glasses support LCD screens. And they kind of do, but the 3d effect isnt exactly mindblowing (as opposed to playing UT2003 with my CRT... WOW!) Is it really not possible to get good 3d on LCD screens? (not iz3d, can't really afford that one..) In that case why? I would really appreciate if someone could explain that to me. Because my LCD supports 75Hz, while my old CRT only supported 60Hz refresh.

My third question is. What is Interleaved vs Pageflip/Resync vs Over/under?? And why does my LCD always tells me that it's out of sync if I use Over/Under?

So, can I have a great 3D experience at home without paying 2000$ in equipment and compatibility?

Thank you in advance.
-Ari Berle

edit: Oh and I'm running a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2,4GHz Processor on a ASUS P5K-E Wifi/AP MoBo, XFX Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB & 4Gigs of RAM.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Welcome to the forums! :D
Ok. i don't have answers for all questions but have a little experience with some of the things. Others might be able to fill in later on.
First: Pageflipped stereo with lcd has always been a nogo but i've heard some people managed it. *twisted meaning i know... The bottleneck is not the lcd-technique. It's rather the electronics inside the screen. If you do have some little stereo effect then you can try to lower the screenrefreshrate as much as possible and lower the resolution. I'm curious if you get a better stereo effect this way on an lcd. Myself i tried with both my samsung lcd and hitachi lcd-beamers with my shutterglasses: Had no success. I have only some senseless flicker with no or very bad 3d-experience and that goes for the e-d drivers too. :(
Since you have an 8800 series of nvidia card there are unfortunately no good stereodriver for you until the vistadrivers are released. They are said to support stereo on vista and the 8800 and upward series of cards. Expect some issues in the beginning though. No drivers for that card is going to be released for xp though. :/. Well at least what i've heard yet.
One option for you might be to trying the kinddragons stereodriver (aka dragons hook). It supports anaglyph and quite a few games too. It doesn't run too good with e'd glasses but on the other hand really great with red/cyan glasses.

The best option to get good stereo for you and maybe quite cheap too is to get an nvidia 7900 or 7950-card and a better crt-monitor than the one you had. Both of course as cheap as possible. Check the "used"-market to spare your wallet! With this setup you can use the latest betas of stereodrivers and you get a decent performance. Don't expect miracles with games newer than a half year though.

on some of your other questions:

Interleaved is a stereoformat to be able to have both left and right eye image in the same picture. It's a popular standard in 3d-movies too. The left and right and right eye imags are spliced into lines wich then is showed in the stereoimage. For example horisontal interleaving: the top line of the left image is the top line of the combined image. The next line in the combined image is the second line in the right eye image and so on....

Over/Under is also a stereoformat where the left and right eye images simply are on top on each other. (A guess: The reason why your lcd tells you it's out of sync might be because the pictureheight in pixels is to high compared to the width)

Pageflip: In stereo it means basically two things: The most common what all thinks of is the an image shifts between the left and the right eye image on a tv or a crt and that shutterglasses are needed to filter the right image to right eye. But: It's also a term for the way stereo is generated inside the computer and then pageflipping means flipping "memorypages".

Resync... hmm. Could be many things. For example you can turn your glasses off and on to make them resync. (if l/r is shifted).

You cannot use interleaved as an output method for your e-d glasses. Well, i do believe it actually can make more "3d" on an lcd compared to shutters since i've seen the effect. lol

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Are you completly shure, your CRT does not support more than 60hz?
It doesn't incidently run 100hz on letz's say 800x600? Or maybe even lower resolution?
My glasses don't even start to do anything at 60hz. But they are from Elsa, not ED... 60hz sounds increddibly low. Every crap monitor I've ever seen does at least 85hz - or is broken.

I don't own a LCD, but I'd gess you might see the upper or lower half - or maybe the middle - in S-3D. The rest might be a mix of different pictures or maybe yust Black...

Try running over under with something like 640 x 512 - when you have a xyz x1024 LCD. This appears 3D, if you can do crosseye and turn your head for 90°...
Anaglyph glasses should work.

This is just for Testing...
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
venge
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by venge »

hi arimail! could you tell me which driver an OS are you using to acivate ED glasses over a nvidia 8800???
i'm trying it but i don't know how!!!

thank you!

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”