[DIY] Stereo recording monitor (Icuiti/Vuzix AV230 based)

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
scott_lawrence
One Eyed Hopeful

[DIY] Stereo recording monitor (Icuiti/Vuzix AV230 based)

Post by scott_lawrence »

http://www.umlautllama.com/gallery/dual230

This is a hack for the non-faint of heart. It requires buying two Icuiti/Vuzix AV230 units, then immediately voiding their warranty. Icuiti/Vuzix does not suggest that you do this, but if you want to, they'll be happy to sell you the devices. Be careful though, since some of the parts, especially the pcbs are somewhat delicate.

The pictures linked to above show the process of disassembly, and ressembly. I've since streamlined the entire process, and got it all to fit within the original plastics.

Essentially, the procedure gangs two AV230 units together, using one board/circuitry set to drive the Left eye, and the other to drive the Right eye. It's pretty self explanatory.

The link above shows using two input boxes, two boardsets, and notching out the plastic front to fit the two boardsets.

I've since streamlined it a bit, by reducing the audio from stereo to mono, and using the second audio line in the cable for the second video source. It now uses one input box with an extra pigtail coming out of it for the second camera. There was also some magic done in the top end with removing unused connectors (be careful of this, i broke 2 boards while trying this myself... they're cheap for me, but not so much for you) and removing some of the internal structural plastic behind the nose bridge.
Scott Lawrence
Vuzix Corp (Formerly Icuiti Corp)
This post does not necessarily express the views of Vuzix, just Scott. He does this stuff on his own.
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

nice thread.. could you please write a step by step tutorial? so actualyl what youre doing is hok one camera to one eye, and the other to the other?

bye

sharky
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

scott_lawrence
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by scott_lawrence »

Will do.

It's in the works. The photos there are just a "check it out, this is what i did" kind of thing, rather than a "this is how to do it".
Scott Lawrence
Vuzix Corp (Formerly Icuiti Corp)
This post does not necessarily express the views of Vuzix, just Scott. He does this stuff on his own.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Just found it and looked at it more carefull. I don't have the items to do it, but for filming with 2 Camcorders it's perfect. And I bet it is also very nice, if you put each camcorder in one hand and watch the movie live. You could get increadible amounts of depth :lol:

I assume it behaves very similar on a VR920, so this might help me to decide wheter to get a damaged unit. Unfortunatly the VR920 is somewhat more expencive and can do S-3D on its own without modding.
But I might do it, if I get used 2D glasses cheap from ebay...
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
EricWAraujo
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: [DIY] Stereo recording monitor (Icuiti/Vuzix AV230 based)

Post by EricWAraujo »

Hey, I did follow Scotts pictures on a pair of 920 and it works fine.

Always be aware that smaller displays give you relatively small 3D compared to the same images on a bigger display like a 42' DLP TV. So dont overcrank your depth just by judging what you see in your stereo glasses.

Good luck (and many many thanks for posting the pictures Scott!)

Return to “Do it Yourself!”