[DIY] Indexpensive 3D Stereo filming Rig

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
scott_lawrence
One Eyed Hopeful

[DIY] Indexpensive 3D Stereo filming Rig

Post by scott_lawrence »

http://www.umlautllama.com/gallery/3drig

This is a 3D rig I built for Vuzix (formerly Icuiti). It consists essentially of two $280 Canon Zr800 camcorders, mounted on a piece of square aluminum.

The metal mount used was from our optics bench, and is probably $100 on its own, but I've had excellent results with a $10 piece of square aluminum.

All of the bolts are 1/4" #20 machine screws, although there are now a selection of nylon washers, thumbscrews and such to make adjustment easier.

Horizontal adjustment is done by just rotating one or both of the cameras. They're secured pretty tightly, but since they have plastic threadings, they're not perfect, so they can very slightly move.

Vertical adjustment is not possible. The two cameras are close enough for wide shots. Zoomed shots they are about 1/8 of a screen off vertically, which is not good. But for wide shots, they're fine.

I'll put up more pictures soon, but this should whet your appetite. ;)

My feeling was that if you were "close enough" with everything, that you should be able to record decent 3D. I can't say that the results will be good for feature-length films, but they look just fine for short films. I've filmed a few things, which will be released soon.

The cameras are at worst, 1/15th of a second apart, since there is no sync between them.

Syncing is done in Final Cut Pro, and the field-sequential interlacing is done by a plugin soon to be released by us. The plugin allows for you to select which field is left, which is right, and also lets you make fine adjustments (field swap for better timing, horizontal skew for bad camera configurations, etc.)

Alignment can be done in one of two ways;

1. the cameras have a composition guide in them, which looks like two horizontal and two vertical lines. I just would line up the same object on the same vertical line on both cameras. This sets the convergence point there.

2. Using a modified Vuzix/Icuiti AV230 unit, which allows for each eye to be fed from a different video source. (Link to this in this forum as well). For that one, I just look and adjust the cameras to what looks "right".
Scott Lawrence
Vuzix Corp (Formerly Icuiti Corp)
This post does not necessarily express the views of Vuzix, just Scott. He does this stuff on his own.
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

hi! welcome to our board!

i like it.. :) nice rig.. is there a solution (low quality) to use only one cam`? i mean a rig wich halfs the screen..

bye

sharky
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

scott_lawrence
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by scott_lawrence »

I don't know of one. I heard of some devices you can attach to existing cameras, which sync two lens systems/prism/lcd shutter through the video output of the camera, but i don't think they'll work on modern DV camcorders.

I was just trying to find a cheap solution to make decent home Stereo 3D films. Although this is a bit more cumbersome, it is more flexible, since you can choose to only use one of the channels, and get full resolution, or use some post-processing to give you field-sequential... or even process it for red/cyan anaglyph 3D in full resolution... it's all about tradeoffs.

And for a less-than $600 3D Stereo recording rig, it's obvious i went for the "cheap" tradeoff. ;)

Over the next few weeks, I'll be making a bunch of usage walkthrough videos and putting them up on my personal or my company's site that go step by step in creating 3D at home.
Scott Lawrence
This post does not necessarily express the views of Vuzix, just Scott. He does this stuff on his own.
sharky

Post by sharky »

so you work for icuiti?

is that right? or did you work for that in the past?

scott_lawrence
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by scott_lawrence »

I work at Vuzix, which was formerly called "Icuiti", so... yes. ;)
Scott Lawrence
sharky

Post by sharky »

oh ok.. thanks for your reply.. :)

i was thinking of a rig to mount in front of a ordinary cam, made with 4 mirrors.. wich divide a normal cam-image into 2 halfs. by dividing it in over-under you would get something a bit larger that 16:9... as soon as i have a bit of speartime i am going to build that and try to see if and how it works

bye

sharky

wuhlei
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by wuhlei »

have any sample clips?
Albert Einstein
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."

Return to “Do it Yourself!”