New iZ3D Glasses Preview!

Love it or Lump it - post your feedback to individual blog posts on mtbs3D.com
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

New iZ3D Glasses Preview!

Post by PressBot »

By Neil Schneider

iZ3D, which has been a founding sponsor of MTBS, specializes in making stereoscopic 3D gaming monitors. Their first model was a 17" prototype, it was followed by a 22" model still sold today, and they have become a well respected competitor in the stereoscopic 3D driver market.

The iZ3D 22" monitor has been well received by end users because its dual panel technology lets gamers maintain full resolution in their games, it experiences only a mild drop in brightness, and their drivers allow compatibility with both ATI and NVIDIA graphics cards. Despite these benefits, their monitor’s leading criticisms include cross-talk or ghosting between the eyes, and inconsistent muddy coloring when viewing stereoscopic 3D images and video games.

The reason behind this has to do with its LCD panels. Red, green, and blue colors rotate or twist at different levels, and this prevents the consistent polarization iZ3D is after. For well over a year, iZ3D has been actively developing a new type of polarized glasses to go with their monitor. These glasses were designed to correct the color imbalance between the eyes and reduce ghosting, and iZ3D has also developed a new software algorithm to enhance the effectiveness further.

While I will leave the conclusions to our readers, I am pleased to share some visual results!

Methodology

MTBS is in possession of a Fuji W1 S-3D camera. This is advantageous because I can place the glasses on the camera itself, and take 3D pictures of 3D pictures!

For our purposes, I only focused on video games because I don’t have photo viewing software with the new algorithm. To represent the original iZ3D setup, the clip-on glasses were used because I think they are the best lenses that came with the monitor.

Despite this effort, these pictures have their caveats. I think it is safe to say that while they suggest what the glasses are capable of, my photography skills are somewhat amateurish, and I look forward to seeing members share their results as the glasses become readily available.

The games demonstrated include Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Unreal Tournament 3, and Star Trek: Legacy.

S-3D Images

All these images are in cross-eyed format which means the left image is on the right, and the right image is on the left. While you can view these pictures on an S-3D monitor, I don’t recommend it. It just won’t represent the actual visual quality you will get out of the iZ3D monitor directly. Instead, look at the images in 2D so you can easily spot the changes between views.

Unreal Tournament 3, Original Glasses, Original Algorithm

Unreal Tournament 3, Original Glasses, New Algorithm

Unreal Tournament 3, New Glasses, Original Algorithm

Unreal Tournament 3, New Glasses, New Algorithm

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Original Glasses, Original Algorithm

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Original Glasses, New Algorithm

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, New Glasses, Original Algorithm

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, New Glasses, New Algorithm

Star Trek: Legacy, Original Glasses, Original Algorithm

Star Trek: Legacy, Original Glasses, New Algorithm

Star Trek: Legacy, New Glasses, Original Algorithm

Star Trek: Legacy, New Glasses, New Algorithm

Conclusion

The drivers used to make these images are not available yet. I’m sure iZ3D is looking forward to hearing what you have to say, so please share your thoughts in our discussion forums!

Read full article...

Return to “MTBS Editorial User Remarks”