James Cameron's Avatar 3D Movie Review (yt3d)

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

James Cameron's Avatar 3D Movie Review (yt3d)

Post by yuriythebest »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Us0naHJ8Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^ click above- official stereo3dnews stuff!! :shutter :shutter :shutter :shutter

as a postscript somethings I forgot to mention in the review:

-It used the Dolbly 3d (anaglyph on steroids) glasses - didn't see any ghosting whatsoever in the film and it was all crystal clear
-I overheard a woman sitting next to me complaining "how everything looked distorted and that she would never watch a 3d movie again". Everything looked perfect to me, except that Cameron was a bit conservative in his use in 3d in places (especially in large vistas and far away views- they are almost flat) but I can understand his decision as to not to overwhelm 3d newbies.
-the dolbly glasses had an RFID anti-theft device- wow is Dolbly afraid someone will steal their tech or are the glasses indeed so expensive - or is it simply economical to do this so that fewer people walk out with em? Perhaps a combination. before the movie there was a warning that recording this movie on video = 2 years jailtime- wow the copyright lobby is getting bold.
- I had slightly sore eyes after the movie was over but that went away several mins later
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
OllyLuck
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: James Cameron's Avatar 3D Movie Review (yt3d)

Post by OllyLuck »

great review mate , love watching your videos of tech and 3d features. :D
I think your wright in the way that you dont really remember the characters in the film i kind of just remember the graphic effects also the way some times it was hard to tell graphics from the real thing, i only watched it it 2d but i will hopfuly see it in 3d someday , as for the story line i thought it was the same old story line , some super power wants something so it goes in guns blazing ..
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

thanks OllyLuck!
ooh that reminds me - near the end in the trailer where he is in his human form and she is holding him I was very impressed when he touched her face- took me several seconds to deduce that his human hand is CG in that particular shot.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I thought the review was mediocre but you are of course entitled to your opinion. I thought the story was very good. I think you, like many other people, expected some balls to the wall action movie and thats not what Avatar is about. Cameron was going for a deeper more classy story that sadly seemed to go over many people's heads.

FYI: The Dolby glasses cost $30 a pop.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”