Blu-ray boys finish 1080p 3D spec

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by metalqueen »

Compatible with old players, kind of
by Tony Smith

The Blu-ray Disc Association has completed its specification for standardising the inclusion of stereoscopic 3D content on its optical discs.

The material will be presented in resolutions up to and including 1080p. Crucially, the BDA said, it doesn't depend on any specific 3D technology - active-shutter or polarised lens - or display type.

The spec also details how 2D content can be played back on 3D-capable players. It provides a way existing players can take the 3D content and display it in 2D form at 1080p, which will allow Hollywood to release 3D movies in place of 2D version without pissing off the installed base - assuming it doesn't charge a premium for the material, of course.
Read the whole story here: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/12/17 ... y_3d_spec/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.
tallguy
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Blu-ray boys finish 1080p 3D spec

Post by tallguy »

Finally! It will be so nice to have some decent production quality movies to watch in passive S3D at home other than Spy Kids 3D and Shark Boy and Lava Girl. I'm eager to see which titles hit the shelves first.
winlonghorn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by winlonghorn »

metalqueen wrote:
Compatible with old players, kind of
by Tony Smith

The Blu-ray Disc Association has completed its specification for standardising the inclusion of stereoscopic 3D content on its optical discs.

The material will be presented in resolutions up to and including 1080p. Crucially, the BDA said, it doesn't depend on any specific 3D technology - active-shutter or polarised lens - or display type.

The spec also details how 2D content can be played back on 3D-capable players. It provides a way existing players can take the 3D content and display it in 2D form at 1080p, which will allow Hollywood to release 3D movies in place of 2D version without pissing off the installed base - assuming it doesn't charge a premium for the material, of course.
Read the whole story here: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/12/17 ... y_3d_spec/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Awesome news! Great work BDA and Congratulations! It sounds like you will have a real winner here and I really am looking forward to 3D in my home this coming year! I was waiting for this, but for PS3 to be able to play it just adds icing to the cake! That is huge when it comes to affording 3D Blu Ray!
Kimber
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kimber »

This is great news especially since I own a PS3
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Silversurfer »

about time, now lets start this thing already. :shutter
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

koshien
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by koshien »

This is really great news!
But I was wondering...some movies are 40-45 GB in blu-ray...what is going to happen with the 50%+ storage needed?
Extra content can be delivered through bd-live, or on a second disc, but will we get worse bitrate with some movies?!
Would it not have been better if they had chosen to make blu-ray 3D compatible only with hdmi 1.4 and 100-200 GB blu-ray discs (too bad for ps3... but hey....)?
Also, I read on other topics that an mtbs3d member says not even hdmi 1.4 can deliver 1080p per eye...so, what's up with blu-ray 3D via ps3's hdmi 1.3?
I am a bit confused right now, but I just hope we will get the best quality possible :)
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys,

I'm really surprised that nobody took notice of the last paragraph in the MTBS BDA story, especially because we have never put out rumour or innuendo before.

For fun, anyone want to venture a guess as to what is being discussed and/or hinted at? The ramifications of this? If correct, we'll have the full answer at CES and lots to discuss, I'm sure!

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Let me guess: The PS3 is going to have special software that will convert *ANY* Blu-Ray movie into 3D?
Neil

Post by Neil »

Was Cybereality right?

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DGFuHC75aY[/youtube-hd]

(the end is the best!)

Just kidding. We shall see! Any other theories?

Regards,
Neil
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

The sony PS3 is an extremely important product for Sony because it is present in millions of homes. It has become Sony's central consumer technology hub : almost every single new Sony product offers connectivity or share features with the PS3.
Sony also claimed for years that the PS3 was expansive because sony invested heavily in the hardware to make it viable longer than the X360.
It was the first promoter of FullHD console gaming, where Microsoft aimed initially only for 720p, and was the trojan horse for the BluRay disc.

Thanks to the CPU decoding of BluRay discs on the cell processor and all the image treatment and scaling performed via software, the PS3 offers a lot more flexibility compared to other hardware.
I have absolutely no source and not enough technical knowledge about the PS3 but my guess is that the PS3 hdmi 1.3 port can be firmware upgraded to support the 3D features of hdmi 1.4 : which would allow the transmission of FullHD 3d images to the display (instead of only having the current checkerboard/interlacing trick) and i have a lot of hope that computer graphics cards with hdmi 1.3 ports also could be upgraded to support the 3D features of hdmi 1.4. It's just standardizing a bunch of protocols after all, the bandwidth is already there. (Dimitryko won't be happy : if RGB doesn't fit, just subsample, no-one will freaking see the difference)
But Sony does not want to release anything before they are ready to sell their nextgen 3D TVs... I also have a great fear that sony may try to make some of it's 3D PS3 content exclusive to Sony brand TVs
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
koshien

Post by koshien »

Neil wrote: I'm really surprised that nobody took notice of the last paragraph in the MTBS BDA story, especially because we have never put out rumour or innuendo before.

For fun, anyone want to venture a guess as to what is being discussed and/or hinted at? The ramifications of this? If correct, we'll have the full answer at CES and lots to discuss, I'm sure!
Wow, I actually didn't notice it...
Well, I'll make a guess...don't know if this is technically possible, but....the use of the ethernet port as an hdmi 1.4 port :woot
koshien

Post by koshien »

I also wonder...will this standard be compatible with autostereoscopic WoWVx or Alioscopy technologies?
I am so excited, so many questions, so few answers :mrgreen:
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

koshien wrote:I also wonder...will this standard be compatible with autostereoscopic WoWVx or Alioscopy technologies?
I am so excited, so many questions, so few answers :mrgreen:
The press release clearly states that it is display agnostic.
The Player must be able to decode stereo-1080p video, then it's up to the player to do whatever it wants with the images to send them to whatever display it wants to support.

In other words :
is it compatible ? yes
will any bluray3D player work ? no
And since no hardware manufacturer cares about alioscopy and philips wowvx screens, these companies will have to make their own bluray 3D players.
Passive 3D forever !
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

BlackShark wrote:if RGB doesn't fit, just subsample, no-one will freaking see the difference
Unlike games which do require 120 Hz, 3D Blu-ray will most likely be coded at 48 Hz (2 x 24), so certainly any HDMI 1.3 device capable of 1080p60 does have the bandwidth to play it back. HDMI 1.4 only defines the necessary video resolutions and timing and probably some auto-discovery mechanism, and I'd suggest HDMI 1.3 devices can be made compatible with a firmware update or a new driver.
koshien wrote:don't know if this is technically possible, but....the use of the ethernet port as an hdmi 1.4 port
No, it is not possible. 100 Mbit Ethernet is only abut 3000 Mbit/s (3 Gbit/s) short of having the required bandwidth.
Last edited by DmitryKo on Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jadentheman

Post by Jadentheman »

So does this mean people don't have to buy HDMI 1.4 for FullHD per eye 3D!!

Sweet!! :D :) :D :D
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

Jadentheman wrote:So does this mean people don't have to buy HDMI 1.4 for FullHD per eye 3D!!
I don't think you will have to buy a HDMI 1.4 graphics card just to connect your brand new stereoscopic 3DTV to your PC and watch 3D Blu-ray movies. I'd imagine the real problem would be getting proper OS and driver support for all these stereoscopic video formats (EDID timings etc.), judging by the many problems people are having with HDMI connections on their video cards, but hopefully it will be much smoother this time around.

As for consumer devices, Playstation3 (a HDMI 1.3 device) will certainly get 3D Blu-ray compatibility as we were told.
Jadentheman

Post by Jadentheman »

But will it be FullHD per eye as we assume it would be?
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

According to the press release, the specs only stipulate that the dual-1080p video must be decoded by the player. But from then it's all up to the player/TV to decide what to do.
Passive 3D forever !
Jadentheman

Post by Jadentheman »

Cool I just needed to hear this!! I am think about getting a PS3 anyway for gaming purposes and blu-ray but FullHD 3D and soon in 2010 with PS2 backwards compatibility, I think it's time to spend a worthwhile $300. But not now
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

Jadentheman wrote:Cool I just needed to hear this!! I am think about getting a PS3 anyway ... with PS2 backwards compatibility
The current PS3 Slim does not feature PS2 compatibility; older PS2 and PS3 titles will not get automatic 3D stereo anyway, from all that I know.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Jadentheman wrote:Cool I just needed to hear this!! I am think about getting a PS3 anyway for gaming purposes and blu-ray but FullHD 3D and soon in 2010 with PS2 backwards compatibility, I think it's time to spend a worthwhile $300. But not now
The PS3 will get FullHD3D "decoding" capability, but for transmitting the image to the display, resolution and screen compatibility is completely unknown.

I also second what Dmitryko said :
The PS3-slim does not feature the PS2 backwards compatibility mode.
So if you want 3D, just don't buy a PS3 yet...

... is you just want a PS3... well, get one and enjoy the current games (in 2D) the system has somme pretty good ones... they are just 2D.
Passive 3D forever !
Okta

Post by Okta »

I think its about time the noobs bin their ps3 and silly consoles and just have media/gaming pc's hooked up to their TV. It would save endless bs.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
GordoSan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by GordoSan »

Okta wrote:I think its about time the noobs bin their ps3 and silly consoles and just have media/gaming pc's hooked up to their TV. It would save endless bs.
Because making home video standards is a bad thing. Riiiight. I guess I'll be a noob for life then. Both consoles work fine as a media server and are way cheaper than a PC equivalent. Its just my take, but its also the broader opinion out there.
Okta

Post by Okta »

GordoSan wrote:
Okta wrote:I think its about time the noobs bin their ps3 and silly consoles and just have media/gaming pc's hooked up to their TV. It would save endless bs.
Because making home video standards is a bad thing. Riiiight. I guess I'll be a noob for life then. Both consoles work fine as a media server and are way cheaper than a PC equivalent. Its just my take, but its also the broader opinion out there.
It is way behind the times when you think about it and a relic of not having a pc in every home. Why all this talk about making 3d blue ray ps3 compatible? The ps3 and Xbox 360 are surely at the end of their short life cycle and due for replacemnt with the next fad?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Okta wrote:Why all this talk about making 3d blue ray ps3 compatible? The ps3 and Xbox 360 are surely at the end of their short life cycle and due for replacemnt with the next fad?
Actually the PS3 is probably going to be around for a lot longer than you think.

Return to “MTBS Newswire”