3-D Blu-ray Spec Expected by Year-End

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by metalqueen »

Trade Group Sets 'Aggressive' Target Date
by George Winslow

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) is expected to complete a specification for the delivery of 3-D content into the home via Blu-ray discs by the end of the year, a top official said.

That word came from the chairman of the BDA's U.S. promotion committee, Andy Parsons, senior vice president of product development and corporate communications at Pioneer Electronics (USA).

The move is important because BDA represents over 180 companies in the consumer-electronics, software, information-technology and content-production community, including the major Hollywood studios.

The development of a 3-D spec for Blu-ray discs could speed the introduction of three-dimensional sets and Blu-ray players into the market and reduce potential consumer confusion over competing formats. The latter problem slowed the early deployment of high-definition compact disc players.

"The target date for getting this done is pretty aggressive and we have been working on this at breakneck speed," Parsons said. "When we have a specification that everyone agrees on, it means we don't have to worry about incompatible sets or competing formats. That is fundamental to the success of 3-D."

Read the whole story here: http://www.broadcastnewsroom.com/articl ... ?id=879885" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.
Jadentheman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: 3-D Blu-ray Spec Expected by Year-End

Post by Jadentheman »

Standard is almost here can't wait
Astounding
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Astounding »

I wonder what method of 3D delivery they will settle upon? I'm guessing polarized?
jellybean73
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jellybean73 »

The blueray spec is about how the movies are encoded on the disk and how the blueray player delivers this content to the display. Polarising Glasses, shutter glasses or any other display system is a separate issue and really upto the designer of the displays. :)

Jenny
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

Astounding wrote:I wonder what method of 3D delivery they will settle upon? I'm guessing polarized?
Well, I wonder what is the standard display for Blu-ray - is it LCD TV, plasma, or projection? :P

The 3-D Blu-ray will be based on:
1) the new Stereo High profile which employs Multi-view Video Coding extensions to H.264 AVC codec,
2) the proprietary 2D+Delta encoding by TDVision for MPEG-2 codec, and
3) two independent streams for VC-1.

All of these allowssimultaneous encoding of the two stereo views; hoewer, in practice overwhelming majority of Blu-ray releases have been encoded with H.264 and that will probably hold true for 3-D releases as well.
ssiu

Post by ssiu »

DmitryKo wrote: The 3-D Blu-ray will be based on:
1) the new Stereo High profile which employs Multi-view Video Coding extensions to H.264 AVC codec,
2) the proprietary 2D+Delta encoding by TDVision for MPEG-2 codec, and
3) two independent streams for VC-1.
Why would we have different 3D-encoding methods for different codec? I guess that is for political (non-technical) reasons?

(I mean, if "2D+Delta" is the best technical method, then we should do that for all 3 encodings; if "2 independent streams" is the best then we should use that for all of H.264/MPEG-2/VC-1; etc.)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

This is going to be very nice. I was looking at that PS3 slim, but I will hold off until I get an official word that it will support the 3D-BluRay standard. I mean, you would assume it does but you never know.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

ssiu wrote:Why would we have different 3D-encoding methods for different codec?
Because maintainers of MPEG-2 and VC-1 do not seem to bother about stereo 3D support, and TDVision proprietary coding scheme is only based on MPEG-2 - there are no similar developments for VC-1, so the only option would be two independent streams.
if "2D+Delta" is the best technical method, then we should do that for all 3 encodings
Well, Multi-view Video Coding is based on 2D+Delta scheme and uses 2D+Depth processing internally. However, its scope exceeds just stereo 3D, with things like free viewpoint television and 3D scene capture using multiple views.

Anyway, inter-view comression gains are only moderate for stereo, with 50-60% overhead for an additional view; that's only 20-25% less than two fully independent streams.
Kimber
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kimber »

I wonder how long after adoption of a standard will it be before we see 3D content available in stores
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

So once the standard has been established, what next? Will there be new 3D capable Blu Ray players on the market next year or software updates for the old players? Also, will there be a new 3D capable PS3 available or an upgrade to existing ones?

Gae43
smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by smoothy »

Gae43 wrote:So once the standard has been established, what next? Will there be new 3D capable Blu Ray players on the market next year or software updates for the old players? Also, will there be a new 3D capable PS3 available or an upgrade to existing ones?Gae43
It's believed that the PS3 can get a bios update through a firmware. Then it should be able to play 3d bluray and 3d specific games. We don't currently know officially what's happening. Sony have said this is what's going to happen but everyone is holding off from buying a PS3 until we know more.

Once we know more about the standard being proposed then TV manufacturers will start releasing 3d TV's. Old bluray players won't work with the new 3d bluray, well only for watching 2d content as the plan has been proposed to allow a 2d and 3d stream of the movie to be on the disc. But for 3d content you would have to buy a standalone 3d bluray player or use the PS3 if all goes to plan.
eschur
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by eschur »

Hi, I'm Ethan CMO of TDVision, actually our technology is not only MPEG-2 based we work for H.264 and VC1 as well. Our patents are core to the MPEG MVC standard.

Thanks,
Ethan

Return to “MTBS Newswire”