[DIY] increase stereoeffect on monitor based 3D solutions

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

[DIY] increase stereoeffect on monitor based 3D solutions

Post by sharky »

hi all!

sometimes with shutterglasses if things are popping out of the screen it is difficult to put them in the right place.. that is because you see the gray part plastic part of our monitor. to increase a lot the popping out effect and nearly eliminate the strange effect you have on popping out objects you just need to cover up with a black paper a part of you monitor. i reccoment 5 cm all around. (5'')

i reccomend to cut the screen window in the paper a little bit smaller. and then to bend the paper inside towards the glass of the monitor in order to cover up the pittle part of plastic that remains uncovered. you see my monitor on the first video of the "speed effect" tutorial.

bye

have a nice day.

sharky
Last edited by sharky on Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

oh i have noticed in this moment that the iz3d 22" is also black.. so i am non that far with my assumption... :)

the theory behind is that a gray plastic is seen as an object at a certain distance because gray reflects light. when you have things popping out of the screen, if they come out at the side (going outside of the monitors left, right, top and down limit) you brain goes confused because if it is in front of the gray plastic it has to cover it up. but you see both.. the gray plastic and the image that is in front of it.

the black paper doesn't reflect the light (only a minimal amount) so the feeling you have is that behind the popping out object the scenary is empty... and you get a good out of screen effect without confusing your brain! i use it from more than a month and i am not going to remove it.. :) i only removed it for the video of the flashing light because else the camera couldn't get the light.

bye bye

sharky
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

This is absolutely correct. Monitors should be black.
My old monitor was black and it looked better, so I'll have to get some black plastic film one of these days...

Return to “Do it Yourself!”