[DIY] Simple "motion" simulator

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

[DIY] Simple "motion" simulator

Post by sharky »

Hi guys!

In this tutorial i am going to shw you how to build an AMAZING rig wich adds at least 30% of reality to ANY game you play or movie you see. in fact it vibrates the chair your are sitting on according to what it happens on the screen. if you shoot you get a nice kick, if you drive, you feel the motors vibrations, if you drive against the wall you are going to feel a hard crash!

what you need:

- a old stereo with line in. the more powerful the better! best is one of those single amplifiers.

- a speaker. the bigger the better!

- a wheight. i used a bolt (before you search for a wheight read the part of building, just to be shure you use the wheight suetable for you.

- cable

- 4 small plastic or wood screws

- one normal office chair (normal chairs would work too, but office ones are better..)

ok. lets start puting it toghether:

take the speaker, remove the membran wich produces sound, paying attention not to cut the wires wich run from the contacts along the membran. remobe the whole membran letting only the cables. in the middle ther eis a little membran wich is a little bit curved. remove that too.

undter the normal membran normally there is another one wich is a bit more rigid. you can remove that too for better result, but not the whole.. just a peace on th eleft and one on the right, else the little pipe in the middle will fall off. if you do this wrong you have to take a new speake. so i personally recomend you not to remove this one.

now, you have to put a wheight into the pipe that is at the center of the speaker. but pay attention not to put it too much inside else it is going to hit the magnet when it vibrates. and pay also attention not to put it too much outside. in souldnt go outside of the speaker s screwing points when it vibrates. i solved this by putting a bold inside the pipe. that way i can adjust the screw with the fingers.

done this, screw the speaker under the chair and connect the cables to the amplifier. connect the amplifier to the line out of the pc and switch it on. now you canadjust the vibration with the volume of the amplifier!

this syste has 2 big pros against commercial ones with spinning motors:

1) REALLY cheap. because all parts are old parts of things you probably throw away

2) due to its function it vibrates at the right frequency according to the content of what you are seeing. so if you for exymple use it on a coaster simualtor, the chair vibrates according to the sund of the tires, and that is nearly exact how it would vibrate in reality.

here are some pics: (click on thumb to enlarge)

bye have fun

sharky
Last edited by sharky on Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

Jahun
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jahun »

Just a extra tip:

It feels better if you use the Lfe channel if you have one. I have a commercial one of this shaker but Sharky's method will probably do just as fine and can be scaled up too.

Using Lfe channel makes sure there are no voices coming out of your chair etc :)

Then again, with full range sounds I liked battlescenes in Braveheart, where you could really *feel* the sword swings and hits .
sharky

Post by sharky »

well without membran the sound you hear is reallllllly low. what gives out sound is the whole chair vibrating but you hear nearly only basses.

my settings on the stereo are:

equalizer: car (lot of basses)
superbass : on
karaoke : on

i used a old panasonic stereo it is a littel one but more than enough for a single 50W box and a 150 W motor as a fan.

yes its true.. you can scale it up.. it depens from two factors how much you can scale it up:
1) the max output of your stereo
2) the max input of your neighbour :D

LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I just wanted to report, that I tried this Idea out.
I sucessfully wrecked the first speaker. At a certain amount of energy and maybe a too heavy wight (100-200g) a spark flew within the speaker. The stereo survived undamaged - it has about 500w!

How heavy should the wight be? The heavier the better? Or would it only damage the speaker?
I don't want to destroy third speaker, so I'm asking first
:wink:
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
sharky

Post by sharky »

it depends on the speaker size!

you have to test it. i used a M12 bolt, 40 mm long. screwed into the according nut. for me it is perfect. and my speaker has a diameter of 14 cm and is a 40W speaker. i think something about 80W with the same bolt should work good.the bigger it is the faster the bolt can be accelerated so you don't need it too big. i think that up to 100 W this bolt should work.

it is difficult to break a stereo that way. they all have a security switch.

LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

They have a security switch?
Hm mine had none I think... maybe it was too old :wink:

In addition I thougt they had just some wires to built an electric magenet. I didn't think they could be destroyed. But it was a nice experiment

I'll try with another speaker and lower wight...
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
sharky

Post by sharky »

yes it is a electronic controlled one.. else if you short them out it begins to get hot.. if you have too much wheigt, the little wire wich is inside can't stay in the middle, and the small orange isolation wraps off. that could be the possible cause for the spark.. just add less wheight, and pay attention not to change the little tube's form.

;)

Return to “Do it Yourself!”