diy planar

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
jem454
One Eyed Hopeful

diy planar

Post by jem454 »

Im hoping to start a planar set up soon, and ran across this in my research.

http://individual.utoronto.ca/iizuka/re ... ophane.htm

Is it possible to use cellophane in place of a half mirror?
My last setup was about 5 years ago with ed glasses and crt. How will a planar setup compare? Or should I not waste my time and go with an IZ3d? I am a diy kind of guy and dont mind building a planar as long as the image looks good. Nvidia is out because I dont like the way they dropped stereo support, only to bring it back at triple the price.

Thanks for the help.
agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: diy planar

Post by agniusm »

Hi. I just build mine setup and i am very happy with it apart i cant get some opengl games to work. The picture qualiti is superb. I had ED glasses and only tested them with 75HZ lcd panel, it was crap compared to what have now. I have started topic on supported LCD's for planar setup. Hpefuly list wil extend.
I have used 70/30 mirror and cant comment on 50/50 but for next setup i will go for later one and posibly larger LCD 24 - 30".
I dont see any ghosting in games as well. Using 162.50 Stereo drv and 162.50 forceware.
Good luck
agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by agniusm »

Forgot to metion in my opinion LCD placed at 90 degrees and mirror at 45 worked best for me. Curently i have set it up as planar 110 lcd 55 mirror.
I dont think cellophane will work as it changes polarisation of lcd. I have bought some just of curiosity to test and it never worked. It does the job by bending light. Mabe i missed something on that article but planar setup and mirror is the way to go in my opinion. You can always get 2000 pound 42" 120hz lcd + 3d vision but wheres the fun in that?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I believe cellophane messes up polarization real badly sorry. It will not work and you'll have a very psychedelic and colorful experience. :D
No good stereo though. :(
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
jem454
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jem454 »

OK thanks for the help.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”