MVC ISO files 3d playback

aofelix
Two Eyed Hopeful

MVC ISO files 3d playback

Post by aofelix »

Hi, moving forwards what are out options for playuing back ISO 3D blurays? Is a dedicated player the best way or can Geo-11 help? Active 3D not passive sadly.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Re: MVC ISO files 3d playback

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tullebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tullebob »

The story of viewing 3D blurays on Windows PC is a sad one. Having a big 3d bluray collection myself, I only view them on my stand alone blu-ray player and projector setup. I only use PC for 3D gaming purposes in 3d vision /geo11. The basic problem with PC and 3D blurays is a lack of proper software. The best that I have found is PowerDVD (versions up until 18, if I remember correctly), which supported 3D playback using 3d vision capable setups. But the experience was underwhelming to put it politely.. I understand that it is possible to view 3d movies on PC using VR headsets, but then the 3d bluray has to be converted to half resolution first (sbs), which is something I have not bothered to do. In sum, I would advice you to just go for a projector setup if you can. The 3d bluray experience can be kick ass with a large screen.
3D Vision rig -> 8700k oc 4.9, asus rog 2080ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz ram, Win 7 running driver 425.31 on SSD1, Win 10 running driver 452.06 on SSD2, Win 10 running latest Nvidia driver for Vulkan3dV and 2D gaming on SSD3, for 3d vision display: 1080p on VG248QE (and sometimes 1440p on PG278PR), Valve Index or Optoma UHD42 projector
aofelix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by aofelix »

Tullebob wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:38 am The story of viewing 3D blurays on Windows PC is a sad one. Having a big 3d bluray collection myself, I only view them on my stand alone blu-ray player and projector setup. I only use PC for 3D gaming purposes in 3d vision /geo11. The basic problem with PC and 3D blurays is a lack of proper software. The best that I have found is PowerDVD (versions up until 18, if I remember correctly), which supported 3D playback using 3d vision capable setups. But the experience was underwhelming to put it politely.. I understand that it is possible to view 3d movies on PC using VR headsets, but then the 3d bluray has to be converted to half resolution first (sbs), which is something I have not bothered to do. In sum, I would advice you to just go for a projector setup if you can. The 3d bluray experience can be kick ass with a large screen.

Thanks. I have a JVC N5 projector which I use with a 150'' and 170'' screen. However all my ISOs are on my PC.

I'm guessing a dedicated player is the way to go for films. Bit annoying as I have two setups for 3D films so I guess I'll buy to buy two players which can both use my external drive. ?
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tullebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tullebob »

I use Vero 4k for playing back 3d blu-ray isos that are stored on my PC via network to view on my JVC projector setup. It works quite well, so I can recommend it. Even tough my personal preference is to watch using the 3d bluray physical discs on my UB9000 player.

For Vero 4k, see https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=221407
3D Vision rig -> 8700k oc 4.9, asus rog 2080ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz ram, Win 7 running driver 425.31 on SSD1, Win 10 running driver 452.06 on SSD2, Win 10 running latest Nvidia driver for Vulkan3dV and 2D gaming on SSD3, for 3d vision display: 1080p on VG248QE (and sometimes 1440p on PG278PR), Valve Index or Optoma UHD42 projector
aofelix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by aofelix »

3DNovice wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:36 pm If your iso files are on your PC, then you must already have a solution.

Have you even tried your existing solution with Geo-11??

Depending on the back end of your existing player, you might not even need Geo-11, you'll just need the 3D Vision drivers installed.

BTW, WinDVD Pro 12 does supposedly support ISO playback
https://www.windvdpro.com/static/wdvd/d ... son-en.pdf

You can also build a HTPC fairly cheap, that will get the job done.

Thank you. My current solution is using old NVIDIA drivers to playback 3D. I'd like to upgrade them though ideally.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
aofelix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by aofelix »

3DNovice wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:47 am
aofelix wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:22 am My current solution is using old NVIDIA drivers to playback 3D.
lol, that could mean anything, should I assume that you are using a Legacy Windows XP setup? Anyways, who cares. I was talking about the playback software.

The link Tullebob gave seems like an awesome alternative going forward, no sense in using a high dollar, high heat, high power consuming GPU to play back some ripped content that has been degraded from being compressed.

CPU integrated graphics have been sufficient for this task for years, though I think only Intel supported stereoscopic video playback (at least on older SKUs).
The latest 3D vision officially supported driver is what I meant.

Yeah, buy another device essentially. Its a good idea, but I quite like using MADVR to be able to process and clean up the image of the full ISO rip. I don't believe it's going to be massively degraded when its a 1:1 rip which I've done.

Sadly I can't afford a MADVR Envy.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

Aren't bluray ISO 3d videos just SBS format. How does geo-11 work?

You could just rip the ISO with DVDfab for the 3D video that is separate from the main 2d bluray movie. I found the nvidia 3d video player to work quit well as you can set the aspect ratio and adjust the parallax as much as needed. It plays alot of formats too, so just might be able to play the ISO.

Cyberlink PowerDVD 19 (older version) is another option for 3d playback. I think Kodi has some sort of 3D playback option, but I've never tried it.
Tullebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tullebob »

If you are looking for the BEST QUALITY solution for playing 3d bluray (ISO or discs) on PC, then the following is the best that I have found. I use this method myself with extremely good results on a JVC projector, using MadVR as the video processor for the 3d framepacked video. I think that even James Cameron would approve of the resulting 3D image :-)

(a somewhat more user friendly solution is to use the Vero 4k solution pasted above, but then you will be missing out on MadVR videoprocessing of 3d framepacked content)

Steps for installation:

1) Ensure that you have 3D vision properly set up (there are guides on this forum on how to do this). This step MUST be in place before the next steps.
2) Download and install MPC-HC (media player) and MadVR (video processing software). Follow this guide here; https://www.avforums.com/threads/guide- ... r.2030649/
3) Install the external LAV filters that the guide (mentioned in step 2) talks about (also uninstall/delete the original filters, as mentioned in the guide). This is essential for a correct install.
4) Configure MadVR to you liking. Basically max out everything that your GPU allows. 1080p 3d framepacking video benefits relatively significantly from the crazy good processing of MadVR. MadVR adds more "pop" and clarity to the image. The image quality is in fact better than what the very best Blu-ray players available are able to provide! I have compared the MadVR image to the image of my Panasonic UB9000 player with the Avatar 3d bluray and there is no doubt - MadVR wins, hands down.
5) Use receiver/projector as the primary display in Windows. Open a 3d blu-ray iso or disc on MPC-HC and go fullscreen -> the projector will then recoginse the signal as full framepacked 3D with video processed by MadVR. The image will then be as good as it gets with your display.
6) Please note that if you are to use this solution to play back 3d bluray discs, you will need software to make windows recognise/read the discs as such. I recommend AnyDVD for that purpose (brilliant sofware). If you are just going to playback 3d bluray isos, you dont need any such additional software. Please note, however, that the commercial marked for 3d bluray is a preciously small one - please support the films you like by buying the original 3d blu-ray discs! The marked needs all the support it can get, now with physical media essentially dying out - with 3d bluray being just a supersmall portion of an allready small physical media marked. By buying discs, the likelyhood increases that we will see future 3d bluray releases of major titles such as Avatar 2 and Dune Part 2.
7) For me this combination of MPC-HC and MadVR works 100% and is super reliable and provides amazing results that would not be any better with a MadVR Envy Extreme !
8) Please note - as described above - that I do not use my 3d vision monitor as the playback monitor for 3d framepacked content. I only use my projector. However, the solution should work also for 3d vision monitor playback (but I have not tested that myself.

Good luck - and enjoy!
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Thanks for that awesome and detailed guide.
aofelix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by aofelix »

Tullebob wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:20 am If you are looking for the BEST QUALITY solution for playing 3d bluray (ISO or discs) on PC, then the following is the best that I have found. I use this method myself with extremely good results on a JVC projector, using MadVR as the video processor for the 3d framepacked video. I think that even James Cameron would approve of the resulting 3D image :-)

(a somewhat more user friendly solution is to use the Vero 4k solution pasted above, but then you will be missing out on MadVR videoprocessing of 3d framepacked content)

Steps for installation:

1) Ensure that you have 3D vision properly set up (there are guides on this forum on how to do this). This step MUST be in place before the next steps.
2) Download and install MPC-HC (media player) and MadVR (video processing software). Follow this guide here; https://www.avforums.com/threads/guide- ... r.2030649/
3) Install the external LAV filters that the guide (mentioned in step 2) talks about (also uninstall/delete the original filters, as mentioned in the guide). This is essential for a correct install.
4) Configure MadVR to you liking. Basically max out everything that your GPU allows. 1080p 3d framepacking video benefits relatively significantly from the crazy good processing of MadVR. MadVR adds more "pop" and clarity to the image. The image quality is in fact better than what the very best Blu-ray players available are able to provide! I have compared the MadVR image to the image of my Panasonic UB9000 player with the Avatar 3d bluray and there is no doubt - MadVR wins, hands down.
5) Use receiver/projector as the primary display in Windows. Open a 3d blu-ray iso or disc on MPC-HC and go fullscreen -> the projector will then recoginse the signal as full framepacked 3D with video processed by MadVR. The image will then be as good as it gets with your display.
6) Please note that if you are to use this solution to play back 3d bluray discs, you will need software to make windows recognise/read the discs as such. I recommend AnyDVD for that purpose (brilliant sofware). If you are just going to playback 3d bluray isos, you dont need any such additional software. Please note, however, that the commercial marked for 3d bluray is a preciously small one - please support the films you like by buying the original 3d blu-ray discs! The marked needs all the support it can get, now with physical media essentially dying out - with 3d bluray being just a supersmall portion of an allready small physical media marked. By buying discs, the likelyhood increases that we will see future 3d bluray releases of major titles such as Avatar 2 and Dune Part 2.
7) For me this combination of MPC-HC and MadVR works 100% and is super reliable and provides amazing results that would not be any better with a MadVR Envy Extreme !
8) Please note - as described above - that I do not use my 3d vision monitor as the playback monitor for 3d framepacked content. I only use my projector. However, the solution should work also for 3d vision monitor playback (but I have not tested that myself.

Good luck - and enjoy!

Thank you mate. This is exactly what I do at the moment but instead I use MPC-BE. The only issue I have is I have to stay on old drivers which have 3D vision setup. Which driver are you on please? :)
Glad to meet another MADVR fan :D
Tullebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tullebob »

aofelix wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:08 am
Tullebob wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:20 am If you are looking for the BEST QUALITY solution for playing 3d bluray (ISO or discs) on PC, then the following is the best that I have found. I use this method myself with extremely good results on a JVC projector, using MadVR as the video processor for the 3d framepacked video. I think that even James Cameron would approve of the resulting 3D image :-)

Steps for installation:

Good luck - and enjoy!

Thank you mate. This is exactly what I do at the moment but instead I use MPC-BE. The only issue I have is I have to stay on old drivers which have 3D vision setup. Which driver are you on please? :)

This is a common problem for all 3D vision users, regardless of whether you are using 3D vision to play games or 3D films. People have different solutions to this problem. I can only speak for myself.

I personally hate DDU/reinstalling drivers every single time I want to perform a specific task. To avoid this, I have therefore set up a range of "single-purpose" SSD's with different Windows versions and 3D vision drivers that I can choose from a boot selector. I have a win7 drive with driver 425.31, a Win 10 drive specifically for running Vulkan 3D games (Doom eternal etc), a Win 10 drive specifically for VR, etc etc. For work/2d purposes I have a Win 10 drive with latest build and latest Nvidia driver.

Then I just boot directly into the OS/driver system that I need for the particular purpose I want to fulfill that day.

For 3D films, I use;
- Windows 10 Pro v 1809 - I have used the Sledgehammer utility to ensure that no updates are enforced on this install.
- 3D vision driver 425.31. This was the last main driver release with 3D vision support from Nvidia and works flawlessly for me.

So, it is up to you how to deal with the issue. Basically, you either have to create separate drives, like me, or you will have to DDU/reinstall 3d vision after you have used your computer for something that required the latest Nvidia drivers.

With respect to Geo-11, in the context of current drivers, this can be used to play Geo-11 fixed games only. As far as I know at least, you will still have to have the old 3D vision drivers installed if you want to use your computer to play back framepacked 3d content via MadVR. Geo-11 is a solution for games only, so it will not help you with respect to movies.

But keeping a separate install for 3d film purpose is, in my view, a small sacrifice to make given the crazy good cost/benefit tradeoff here with respect to the video quality. The hardware alternative to acheive the same level of video quality would be to have a separate external stand alone bluray player that feeds the 3d framepacking content into a MadVR Envy with then again feeds the video on to your display. And then we are talking big bucks - for no additional video quality gain. I guess an alternative could also be to build a custom 3d vision HTPC and try to set up playback via Kodi. But I, for my purposes will not bother to do that, as I am very happy with my current set up.

Anyway, hope this answers your questions. Also, for the good of the 3d vision community, please post any experiences/good tips that you would like to share with others on 3d framepacking via MadVR. We (few) 3D nerds must share knowledge between us :)
3DJ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJ »

PotPlayer (make sure to download OpenCodec and install MVC codec from the 3D options menu or the links below) should be able to read Blu-Ray 3D files (.SSIF)
- For 32-bit PotPlayer: http://t1.daumcdn.net/potplayer/PotPlay ... cSetup.exe
- For 64-bit PotPlayer: http://t1.daumcdn.net/potplayer/PotPlay ... etup64.exe
- Run and make sure to check MVC component during installation
Just gotta mount it and I'm assuming it's been decrypted otherwise you might need a decrypter like DVDFab Passkey Lite tho it's usually meant for real drives.

To get PotPlayer to use 3D Vision, you can follow this guide: viewtopic.php?t=26137
aofelix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by aofelix »

Tullebob wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:43 am
aofelix wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:08 am

Steps for installation:

Good luck - and enjoy!

This is a common problem for all 3D vision users, regardless of whether you are using 3D vision to play games or 3D films. People have different solutions to this problem. I can only speak for myself.

I personally hate DDU/reinstalling drivers every single time I want to perform a specific task. To avoid this, I have therefore set up a range of "single-purpose" SSD's with different Windows versions and 3D vision drivers that I can choose from a boot selector. I have a win7 drive with driver 425.31, a Win 10 drive specifically for running Vulkan 3D games (Doom eternal etc), a Win 10 drive specifically for VR, etc etc. For work/2d purposes I have a Win 10 drive with latest build and latest Nvidia driver.

Then I just boot directly into the OS/driver system that I need for the particular purpose I want to fulfill that day.

For 3D films, I use;
- Windows 10 Pro v 1809 - I have used the Sledgehammer utility to ensure that no updates are enforced on this install.
- 3D vision driver 425.31. This was the last main driver release with 3D vision support from Nvidia and works flawlessly for me.

So, it is up to you how to deal with the issue. Basically, you either have to create separate drives, like me, or you will have to DDU/reinstall 3d vision after you have used your computer for something that required the latest Nvidia drivers.

With respect to Geo-11, in the context of current drivers, this can be used to play Geo-11 fixed games only. As far as I know at least, you will still have to have the old 3D vision drivers installed if you want to use your computer to play back framepacked 3d content via MadVR. Geo-11 is a solution for games only, so it will not help you with respect to movies.

But keeping a separate install for 3d film purpose is, in my view, a small sacrifice to make given the crazy good cost/benefit tradeoff here with respect to the video quality. The hardware alternative to acheive the same level of video quality would be to have a separate external stand alone bluray player that feeds the 3d framepacking content into a MadVR Envy with then again feeds the video on to your display. And then we are talking big bucks - for no additional video quality gain. I guess an alternative could also be to build a custom 3d vision HTPC and try to set up playback via Kodi. But I, for my purposes will not bother to do that, as I am very happy with my current set up.

Anyway, hope this answers your questions. Also, for the good of the 3d vision community, please post any experiences/good tips that you would like to share with others on 3d framepacking via MadVR. We (few) 3D nerds must share knowledge between us :)

Thank you mate. I'm coming to the realisation I'll just need 2-4 PCs.

I have a gaming/office room, and a home cinema room and I think both need 3D MVC playback. I already have a 2080 and I'm due an upgrade after 4 years. I do wonder if I can build a really budget rig and smack a 2080ti in it as I think they'll be much cheaper in the next few months,.

One with a 2080 or 2080ti, and one with a 3080/4080/4090.

I'm going to see how used GPU prices fall in the next 2-3 months and then buy accordingly. I reckon a used 2080ti is going to be available for a bargain price if the leap in GPU power is as much as speculated for the 40 series which means an affordable 3DVision specific rig on a locked firmware + windows version should not be too tough to pull off.
Tullebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tullebob »

Sounds like a good plan! One you have everything set up and the system is stable, you can enjoy 3D vision games and 3D MVC films without any further stress :) Good luck with the new rigs. Lets just hope there will be plenty more 3D blu-ray releases on the horizon! :)

Also, keep in mind, if you want to have the easiest way possible of playing 3d blu-rays, a dedicated 3d blu-ray player, like the Panasonic UB9000 or Oppo 203 is a really good alternative. The picture quality of the UB9000 is very similar to MadVR (without any sharpening applied). The UB9000 also plays very nicely with JVC projectors.
aofelix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by aofelix »

Tullebob wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:22 am Sounds like a good plan! One you have everything set up and the system is stable, you can enjoy 3D vision games and 3D MVC films without any further stress :) Good luck with the new rigs. Lets just hope there will be plenty more 3D blu-ray releases on the horizon! :)

Also, keep in mind, if you want to have the easiest way possible of playing 3d blu-rays, a dedicated 3d blu-ray player, like the Panasonic UB9000 or Oppo 203 is a really good alternative. The picture quality of the UB9000 is very similar to MadVR (without any sharpening applied). The UB9000 also plays very nicely with JVC projectors.

Thanks mate. Any hints for getting it working on an LG OLED C6?
I can get 3D playback but ONLY with scaling disabled - aka no scaling. Sadly on a 4K screen this makes the image tiny. any other scaling absolutely breaks MVC playback 3D.

with the EDID hack, it seems to make doing 3D scaled to full screen tough/impossible with MVC playback.
aofelix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by aofelix »

Tullebob wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:22 am Sounds like a good plan! One you have everything set up and the system is stable, you can enjoy 3D vision games and 3D MVC films without any further stress :) Good luck with the new rigs. Lets just hope there will be plenty more 3D blu-ray releases on the horizon! :)

Hi mate, can you test with your 3D vision monitor? Projector works wonderfully byt LG OLED C6 runs into issues.
Tullebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tullebob »

Hi! Hmm, ok. No problem. Am away from home som days on travel, but will check when I get back. What were the problems you experienced?
Tullebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tullebob »

Sorry for the long time to reply. I have now tested on BOTH win10 and win7 setup, both running stable and tried-and-tested 3d vision setups using driver 425.31. I can confirm that playing 3d films on 3d vision monitor does not work properly. I have not had time to do extensive testing to ascertain the cause of the issue, but on Win10 there seems to be issues getting 3d to trigger in the first place. This result is somewhat surprising to me, given that the setup works so flawlessly on my JVC NZ8 projector. If I have time, I might do some additional testing. But I do have some prior experience with PowerDVD and 3d blu-ray and the experience was underwhelming to say the least. I just dont think that 3D vision was ever designed to provide a good 3d bluray experience.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

aofelix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by aofelix »

Tullebob wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:58 am Sorry for the long time to reply. I have now tested on BOTH win10 and win7 setup, both running stable and tried-and-tested 3d vision setups using driver 425.31. I can confirm that playing 3d films on 3d vision monitor does not work properly. I have not had time to do extensive testing to ascertain the cause of the issue, but on Win10 there seems to be issues getting 3d to trigger in the first place. This result is somewhat surprising to me, given that the setup works so flawlessly on my JVC NZ8 projector. If I have time, I might do some additional testing. But I do have some prior experience with PowerDVD and 3d blu-ray and the experience was underwhelming to say the least. I just dont think that 3D vision was ever designed to provide a good 3d bluray experience.

I've got it to work.

Install Win 10
Install 3D hacked drivers
Enable the drivers
Toggle 3D compataibility mode
Install MPCE-BE
Install MADVR
go the MADVR folder
Enable the 3D file in the MADVR folder
Go to MPC-BE
enable MVC playback
Open 3D film and it should go to 3D MVC

You're welcome guyhs.

Tested on JVC N5. Havent tested it on LG OLED C6 tho.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”