What about Geo-11 and vsync

b4thman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

What about Geo-11 and vsync

Post by b4thman »

I have noticed that, when playing Dark Souls III, I need to cap fps to 60 in Nvidia Control Panel and I also force vsync to not have tearing. Before doing that, I had some sort of tearing when my pfs surpases 60 fps.

I don't know if there is any general "rule" or recomendation related to these things, when using Geo-11:
- fps cap
- vsync
- Triple buffer

I don't know if vsync behavior can be forced inside any of the 2 inis that Geo-11 uses.
Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX 2080 (no TI), 32 Gb RAM, Windows 21H1, Monitor Dell S2716DG, Nvidia 425.31 driver
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Re: What about Geo-11 and vsync

Post by spin1 »

b4thman wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:52 pm I have noticed that, when playing Dark Souls III, I need to cap fps to 60 in Nvidia Control Panel and I also force vsync to not have tearing. Before doing that, I had some sort of tearing when my pfs surpases 60 fps.

I don't know if there is any general "rule" or recomendation related to these things, when using Geo-11:
- fps cap
- vsync
- Triple buffer

I don't know if vsync behavior can be forced inside any of the 2 inis that Geo-11 uses.
Please excuse my ignorance but I have to ask. Are you saying when we use Geo-11, Nvidia Control Panel settings don't have any effect? If so, is it for all settings (anti-aliasing, low latency mode, Anisotropic filtering, etc.) or just the settings you mentioned (eg. VSync)?
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

This will mostly depend upon personal preference, but all the DX11 settings are now available in the original d3dx.ini file. geo-11 itself does not have any requirements regarding vsync or buffering, although you might need specific settings for weirdo modes like nvidia_dx11/dx9.

If you are using a game-fix, you won't necessarily see the new values, but they will work if you add them to the Device section. Look at the Device section of the d3dx.ini in the geo-11 download, and you'll see new settings for things like:

Code: Select all

; BufferCount is how many buffers in the swapchain. Higher values can smooth out
; performance, at the expense of latency. Between 2..16 for flip modes. Set To
; 2 (frontbuffer+backbuffer) for best latency. 3 for triple buffering. windowed
; mode is typically set to 1. If not defined, the value the game sets is used.
;buffer_count = 3
;
; Scaling for swapchain creation can stretch (0), no-stretch (1), aspect ratio 
; stretch (2). Probably not useful. If not defined, the value the game sets is used.
;scaling = 0
;
; SWAP_EFFECT is probably worth experimenting with in some use cases.  In general
; it should be set to DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_DISCARD (4) for best performance.
;        DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_DISCARD	= 0,
;        DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_SEQUENTIAL	= 1,
;        DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_SEQUENTIAL	= 3,
;        DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_DISCARD	= 4
; If not defined, the value the game sets is used.
;swap_effect = 4
;
; Flags can be set during swap chain creation.  This is probably not very Useful
; but might be handy to work around some bad game parameters. For example if they
; set Allow_Tearing, it's not useful for us because that presumes gsync operation.
; Can also possibly allow_mode_switch where a game may try to deny it.
; If not defined the value used by the game is passed along.
;swapchain_flags = 0

; Two more roughly related parameters are passed in for each Present call.
; SyncInterval is how long the Present call will wait before showing.  If set to
; 0 it will present immediately.  Any other number will wait for that many vsync
; frames before showing.  If not defined, the value the game sets is used.
; present_flags are set to allow different operations during the Present call.
; https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/direct3ddxgi/dxgi-present
; In general, this will not be very useful to change but might be good for testing.
;sync_interval = 0
;present_flags = 0
Of those, sync_interval is vsync. If you set it to 0, it will be disabling vsync. Set it to 1 or higher and it will wait for vsync.
swap_effect can change how the swap chains are displayed and make some games work fullscreen that otherwise fail.
buffer_count can be set to 3 for triple buffering. Can be higher if you find you need it.
neovad
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by neovad »

Unfortunately I can't enable vsync in Metro Exodus and Scorn via 'sync_interval = 1' neither in d3dx.ini nor in d3dxdm.ini
geo-11 has strange problems with vsync in 'direct_mode = nvidia_dx11'. In some games it enabled in some disabled

But when I use 'direct_mode = nvidia_dx9' vsync works fine even when I not use 'sync_interval = 1'

P.S. I used version 0.6.68 of geo-11
neovad
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by neovad »

It is strange, but in some UE4 games like Scars Above vsync with geo-11 works when I use in game setting "Windowed Fullscreen". But vsync doesn't work with "Fullscreen". It's seems to me that developers made a mistake with mode labels. May be Scorn has the same problem with vsync.

P.S. Metro Exodus with new version 1.0.8.37 has correct vsync with geo-11

P.P.S This strange behavior was in Scars Above version 1.0.0.128546 but in 1.0.1.129298 all perfect with vsync in both Fullscreen and Windowed Fullscreen modes
Last edited by neovad on Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”