Optoma UHD50X with 3d vision anyone?

Tullebob
Cross Eyed!

Optoma UHD50X with 3d vision anyone?

Post by Tullebob »

Hi all

I originally posted this in a different category, but got no replies, so will try here.

I am considering getting the Optoma UHD50X to use for 2 purposes: 1) games with 3d vision, and 2) bluray 3d content (both .iso viewing from PC and some playback of bluray discs on dedicated player).

Have any of you guys successfully used the UHD50X with 3d vision and gotten good results playing at 1080p with 60 fps?

Would one need to play with separate DLP glasses, i.e. the Nvidia 3d vision glasses will not work? (But one needs the pyramid to enable the 3dv output from pc?)

Thanks!
3D Vision rig -> 8700k oc 4.9, asus rog 2080ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz ram, Win 7 running driver 425.31 on SSD1, Win 10 running driver 452.06 on SSD2, Win 10 running latest Nvidia driver for Vulkan3dV and 2D gaming on SSD3, for 3d vision display: 1080p on VG248QE (and sometimes 1440p on PG278PR), Valve Index or Optoma UHD42 projector
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Optoma UHD50X with 3d vision anyone?

Post by DJ-RK »

I don't have the UHD50X, but I do have the UHD50, and can confirm 3D at 1080P @ 120hz/60FPS is possible and looks very nice. I'm pretty sure the UHD50X will be no different because nearly every Optoma projector (that I'm aware of) can run 3D in some form or another, and also with the UHD50X being an upgrade of the UHD50 I can't imagine they would have removed it.

Previously we needed to install a EDID hack to spoof our projectors as another display device to be able to use 3D Vision, but with some recent changes to 3DFM that is made a lot easier. All you need to do now is set up a display profile in 3DFM for the projector with the 3D mode set as 3DVision / CRT, and just use 3DFM to launch your 3D games and it will take care of the rest, which is great because it helps preserve all the features of your projector which an EDID hack used to strip away.

Fortunately since we're running 3DVision we use the same pyramid and glasses. Not sure if you can use DLP glasses, if you prefer them. I know back in the day when I used an EDID hack for my old projector I couldn't use the DLP glasses for 3DVision, and I suspect that's still the case, but I"m not 100% because I haven't tried (nor do I intend to since I mostly prefer using my 3DVision glasses anyways).

You're welcome! ;)
Tullebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tullebob »

This sounds great! Thank you for this input, DJ-RK! Very useful.
3D Vision rig -> 8700k oc 4.9, asus rog 2080ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz ram, Win 7 running driver 425.31 on SSD1, Win 10 running driver 452.06 on SSD2, Win 10 running latest Nvidia driver for Vulkan3dV and 2D gaming on SSD3, for 3d vision display: 1080p on VG248QE (and sometimes 1440p on PG278PR), Valve Index or Optoma UHD42 projector
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

DJ-RK wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:59 pm I don't have the UHD50X, but I do have the UHD50, and can confirm 3D at 1080P @ 120hz/60FPS is possible and looks very nice. I'm pretty sure the UHD50X will be no different because nearly every Optoma projector (that I'm aware of) can run 3D in some form or another, and also with the UHD50X being an upgrade of the UHD50 I can't imagine they would have removed it.

Previously we needed to install a EDID hack to spoof our projectors as another display device to be able to use 3D Vision, but with some recent changes to 3DFM that is made a lot easier. All you need to do now is set up a display profile in 3DFM for the projector with the 3D mode set as 3DVision / CRT, and just use 3DFM to launch your 3D games and it will take care of the rest, which is great because it helps preserve all the features of your projector which an EDID hack used to strip away.

Fortunately since we're running 3DVision we use the same pyramid and glasses. Not sure if you can use DLP glasses, if you prefer them. I know back in the day when I used an EDID hack for my old projector I couldn't use the DLP glasses for 3DVision, and I suspect that's still the case, but I"m not 100% because I haven't tried (nor do I intend to since I mostly prefer using my 3DVision glasses anyways).

You're welcome! ;)
@DJ-RK: I have the same projector like you (UHD 40 - same projector but different model number in Europe^^). It was detected as a Generic CRT by default in Nvidia Control Panel. I never got the 3D Vision glasses running correctly with it. It was more or less random if they synched correctly - nothing reliable. So I used my DLP glasses. Did you have more success?

@Tullebob: I think the UHD50X was confirmed to work in 1080p@120hz although I'm not 100% sure because of different namings of the projector. UHD50X seems to be UHD 42 in Europe? Optoma really likes to confues customers with their region dependent model numbers. I'd recommend you buy the projector from somewhere where you can be sure to refund it if not working.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

@Paul - Yes, absolutely, my 3DVision glasses work perfectly via this method, as they have with every other method that triggers the frame sequential 3D mode. I was running into some sync issues in the beginning with this projector, but I think that was more with the EDID stuff. It's been a few weeks since I was messing around with 3D on this projector, so sadly my memory is a little bit fuzzy on some details, but I'm pretty sure it was all working properly last. Mind you, I only really confirmed it worked before, I haven't really had a full-on gaming session on this in 3D yet, I've been more preoccupied with checking out the PS5 in 4K on this thing instead (I know, I know. Blasphemy!), but I'll definitely be checking out some more 3D stuff soon.

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”