Glasses not staying synched

jonnyfrag
One Eyed Hopeful

Glasses not staying synched

Post by jonnyfrag »

Ok heres the story:
after my lcd blew up and I put a crt back in its place, I remembered Hey why not hook up my old glasses! After searching some can't find my dongle. bummer. Go to ebay, find someone selling an ancient pair of PNY verto glasses (with dongle!) for $12. Get the set in, go through all the driver rigamarole (damn nvidia) Ok, got the 3d working with the 162.50 drivers works really well inside of nvidias old school test app (the spinning nvidia logo etc..) EXCEPT no matter what game I try, the glasses will not stay in synch. They synch up synch up, drop drop, synch synch off and on but at a quick enough rate to render the effect mute. Tried adjusting the refreshes all the way and down, no joy (although I can certainly tell the synch's speed is changing)
Ok try the Iz beta driver, no joy. doesntt seem to be sending a synch signal at all.
Found my old r3dctl2.exe no joy doesn't even try to so any synching. I should note that I always had to use the r3dctl with my old glasses, but now it doesnt seem to do ANYTHING

Vid card 7300gt Win xp, the pny verto glasses
my old glasses were IO glasses (razor 3d I think, have a mini din type connector...same ones that go to television synch boxes) with the triangular dongle these pnys have a smaller y dongle with the glasses having a 3 pin s-video type jack. (I am still trying to find my old dongle as well...it seemed worth the $12 to not have to dig as much as I am going to have to) games tried are: Star Wars Galaxies (the primary thing I will play with them) Land of the Dead, Portal (hl2 engine) Serious Sam (that just crashed HARD) so it's all engines of all sorts couldnt find a true gl game to try but I suspect it wont matter

Is problem glasses, dongle, software, drivers.... any clues or anyone fight this battle before?

oh and going back to the 91 drivers will not work (nor the 77.77 ones) as the driver says cannot find card (because the card is too new for the drivers I suspect...used to use a 5000 series with that stuff)

any tips appreciated!

*edit* found the vertical synch off tip...seemed to make it better (less dropping out) but still doing it enough to ruin the whole thing....going to keep fiddling with settings until maybe I stumble on 'the one'
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Re: Glasses not staying synched

Post by Hornet »

Hi, I recomende:
91... drivers+3D stereodrivers an use of EDactivator.exe (on e-dimensional homepage-downloads).
I use 7600 GT with this combination - wery good, the glasses flicker synchronous too without 3D activation in drivers. Wery good and stabile.
jonnyfrag
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jonnyfrag »

I gave the e activator a try (although it's just a slightly different version of the r3dctl) no joy
And as I stated above, the 91 driver refuses to install for me, yes even after I have cleaned the old drivers completely off
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Maybe You can use some from this guide:
http://www.3d.wep.dk/driverguide.html
or just anaglyph? (no sync) - Nvidia is releasing some new shutterglasses soon.
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by iondrive »

hi,

This is my first post on MTBS3D. Hurray.
OK, who cares. Anyway.

I've had this problem recently. It happened right after I switched monitors. The new monitor
had a microphone and two (instead of normally one) missing pins (by design, not broken)
on the monitor's vga signal cable. I troubleshot this down to the monitor. Switched monitors
and things worked fine. Alternate solution is to use ED-activator. I don't understand why
that would make it work but it did. Anyway, since you said you just switched monitors and
given my experience, I'll bet it's your monitor that's at fault. Swap it with another. Even if it's
an LCD monitor, you won't have good s3d, but you will have proved the fault if the glasses
shutter steadily. Also if your card has TV out, you can make that your primary single display
and see if your glasses work right while using your tv.

If this monitor used to work with these glasses, take a look at the monitor cable and check for
damage/bent/pushed pins. OK, maybe you did that already.

Anyway good luck and I hope I was able to help.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Welcome to the community!

Regards,
Neil
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hi Iondrive! :D