Can I use the latest Nvidia drivers to play 3D vision games?

tuff253
One Eyed Hopeful

Can I use the latest Nvidia drivers to play 3D vision games?

Post by tuff253 »

Hi,

I'm new here. Just wanted to know if it was possible to hack the nvidia drivers to include the last 3D vision module from the 418.xx drivers into them? I don't like the idea of having to install old drivers to play 3D vision. Makes life miserable when you want to flip between the latest titles to a 3d Vision game.

Is there a better way instead?

Thanks!
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Can I use the latest Nvidia drivers to play 3D vision ga

Post by bo3bber »

tuff253 wrote:Hi,

I'm new here. Just wanted to know if it was possible to hack the nvidia drivers to include the last 3D vision module from the 418.xx drivers into them? I don't like the idea of having to install old drivers to play 3D vision. Makes life miserable when you want to flip between the latest titles to a 3d Vision game.

Is there a better way instead?

Thanks!
It is possible up to a point, and then it starts getting sort of hard, currently requiring hex editing of the driver.

Best solution is to setup a dual boot system, where the 3D side is on older software that is more stable and not being force updated all the time. Much more stable, less time jacking around with stupid updates that don't do anything.

Latest drivers are always being touted as the best- they aren't. It's just a way for NVidia and other cretins to avoid support costs, by forcing you to update before they'll even talk to you. For 'game ready' updates in particular, that's just marketing. They rarely do anything for the actual game outside of add a game profile.
tuff253
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tuff253 »

Thanks.

I don't understand why they couldn't just leave the 3D vision part of it in there and just not support it. It was always an option to include as part of the install, why not just leave it unticked for those who don't care by default. Stupid!
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

For your dual boot setup, Windows 10 version 1809 (or Windows 7) is preferred, with NVidia driver 425.31, for most trouble-free 3D Vision operation. However, some new NVidia graphics cards need driver updates beyond 425.31...
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
tuff253
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tuff253 »

What about the 3D fix manager application? That seems to add the 3D vision driver whilst maintaining your existing Nvidia driver?
drastic00
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by drastic00 »

3D Fix manager stopped working for me once drivers had been past a certain point...

I'm running 441.87 with 3D Driver from 425.31 by following these steps and tools from Losti, in this forum topic:

https://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... 05&t=23277

Once I had all the proper files in the correct locations the process went rather well. I had trouble at first because somehow I downloaded a 'dch' driver file by mistake, which the directions advise against. *Follow everything carefully* and it works! I know it's kind of a pain, but Losti notes that it only needs to be done the first time; subsequent driver installs keep the 3D Vision drivers intact.

For this, you must not have Windows updated past version 1809 (otherwise you are stuck using 425.31, apparently). :arrow: I have been using the free Windows Update Manager (WuMgr) by David Xanatos to stop automatic updates. So far I have stayed on 1809. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it fools the [Microsoft] Windows Update into thinking it's a version of Windows known as LTSB (Long Term Servicing Branch), which only takes security updates, thereby not updating us out of our beloved 3D. So far so good. :shutter

Praise Bob!: http://www.subgenius.com/
tuff253
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tuff253 »

Oh... I had no prior knowledge of that application before creating this thread. What a shame!

Sounds like that application WAS the answer to all this. Can the owner of the application not fix this issue or have they disappeared?

It'd be good to get an official fix to it. It's current state would be making the new 3D vision fixes for the latest titles insignificant. :(
russellk
Cross Eyed!

Post by russellk »

tuff253 wrote:Oh... I had no prior knowledge of that application before creating this thread. What a shame!

Sounds like that application WAS the answer to all this. Can the owner of the application not fix this issue or have they disappeared?

It'd be good to get an official fix to it. It's current state would be making the new 3D vision fixes for the latest titles insignificant. :(
Honestly, best advice is above. Install 1809 and have a dual boot system, you'll save a lot of time in the long run.

You're probably not aware but 3dfix manager was orginally designed just to automate the installation of community 3d fixes. Since then, the author (PaulDusler) has done an amazing job by adding tons of user requested features plus automating the old workaround for installing 3d vision drivers. He did all this for free and I dread to think how many hours of his own time he put in.

Remember that Nvidia dropped support, then MS updated windows and since then it's only going to get worse. I doubt you'll ever get an 'official' solution to this unless you mean a community fix, but even then, probably it will break every time the OS and drivers are updated, so you're best off following the advice above IMHO.
Win 10 1903 (Via 3dfix manager - Non DCH)/W11, 11700K, Gigabyte 2080Ti OC, Samsung G9, LG 3d OLED, 4k Projector, WMR Odyssey+
drastic00
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by drastic00 »

Looks like someone cracked the Win 1903 problem
https://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... 05&t=23352
russellk
Cross Eyed!

Post by russellk »

drastic00 wrote:Looks like someone cracked the Win 1903 problem
They did and it's fantastic that the option is there and credit to them, but if you read the whole thread there are complications. It's a bumpy ride whichever way you go, but IMO unless any miracles happen, the best 'clean' environment for 3d vision is 1809.

I dual boot and use the 1903 for vr and 2d games (and gamepass!), then drop back to 1809 for native 3d vision stuff.

If you can, take bo3bber's advice, he knows exactly what he's talking about on many levels :-)
Win 10 1903 (Via 3dfix manager - Non DCH)/W11, 11700K, Gigabyte 2080Ti OC, Samsung G9, LG 3d OLED, 4k Projector, WMR Odyssey+
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Necropants »

3dfix manager driver injection still works providing you are running windows 7 or w10 1809. unfortunately I still have to roll back to 7 because certain games just refuse to start fullscreen so 3dvision never activates.
Voodoo1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Voodoo1 »

russellk wrote:
drastic00 wrote:Looks like someone cracked the Win 1903 problem
I dual boot and use the 1903 for vr and 2d games (and gamepass!), then drop back to 1809 for native 3d vision stuff.
I'm very interested in pursuing this do you mind telling me what i need in order to do that? do i need a new windows license? (and probably a new harddrive to be safe) will i have to reinstall all my VR games to the new hardrive with the new OS on?
chewy23
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by chewy23 »

It is easy to get 3d vision to work on the latest driver, the difficulty is finding the solution on these boards. People talk about the 3d fix application, however, using it often doenst work and also prevents the user from understanding the conflict which breaks 3d vision in the driver.

I used these six steps to enable 3d vision in 441.87:

1. Download recent driver (do not download the DCH driver, only the standard driver) Win-7/8.1 441.87 or Win-10 441.87
2. Download the final 3d vision driver 425.31 and extract/explore the exe using 7zip, find and take the 2 folders NV3DVision and NV3DVisionUSB.Driver
3. In device manager click refresh driver on "NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D USB controller" and select folder NV3DVisionUSB.Driver (if you get an error, you may need to uninstall the device first. Try using the have disk option and target the directory containing nvstusb.inf)
4. Create a new folder "FOLDER", use 7zip to extract the contents of the exe: NV3DVision\3DVision.exe.
5. Use FVIE to change file version and product version of dll: FOLDER\NvSCPAPI.dll and FOLDER\NvSCPAPI64.dll to "7.17.14.4187"
FVIE may take a moment to finish reading or modifying the file.
6. Run FOLDER\setup.exe

If you get an error that there is a driver version mismatch, it is because the NvSCPAPI.dll and NvSCPAPI64.dll do not contain the same version number as the driver you installed in step 1. If you choose to install a newer driver than 441.87, you need to change the version number in NvSCPAPI.dll and NvSCPAPI64.dll to reflect the newer driver 7.17.14.4187.

I used this to get 3d vision working on GTX 1650 with driver 441.87-desktop-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql. This is on Windows 8.1. GTX 1650 is not included with driver 425.31, so I am forced to use newer drivers to get full functionality. These steps were first published on this forum here, credit to Losti, bo3bber, & neovad.
tuff253
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tuff253 »

Thanks for these steps. However, I have never used FVIE so that step might be a little confusing.

Do these steps work in windows 10 as well?

These steps with some screenshots would go a log way :)
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

tuff253 wrote:Thanks for these steps. However, I have never used FVIE so that step might be a little confusing.

Do these steps work in windows 10 as well?

These steps with some screenshots would go a log way :)
Why dont you taka 10 mins of your holy time to read and follow and try to understand?? Not everything is made for an APP generation and works within some secondy by plug and play....

https://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... 05&t=23277 => Win 7 and 10 until 1809
https://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... 05&t=23352 => Win 10 1903+

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”