Is it worth to buy a second hand LG OLED 65C6 for 3DVision?

Enzel
One Eyed Hopeful

Is it worth to buy a second hand LG OLED 65C6 for 3DVision?

Post by Enzel »

I own a 1440p 3D Vision monitor, is it worth to spend 1200 Euros to buy a second hand LG 65C6 OLED?

I have a 1080ti SLI to run it

Thanks!
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Is it worth to buy a second hand LG OLED 65C6 for 3DVisi

Post by whyme466 »

I really like my E6, so I would recommend it - did they specify how many hours of operation it has (for example, my power-on hours setting is currently 5366)? LG claimed 2016 OLED technology had improved to have a 100,000 hour lifespan. I suggest checking for burn-in or other issues, also. It really needs a 2080Ti, however, for best visual quality on most recent games, since SLI does not work well with many of them.
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
Enzel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Enzel »

whyme466 wrote:I really like my E6, so I would recommend it - did they specify how many hours of operation it has (for example, my power-on hours setting is currently 5366)? LG claimed 2016 OLED technology had improved to have a 100,000 hour lifespan. I suggest checking for burn-in or other issues, also. It really needs a 2080Ti, however, for best visual quality on most recent games, since SLI does not work well with many of them.

Hi Whyme466, thanks a lot for the advice to check the number of hours of the set, is a good one that I hadn´t thought. Yes i know about the burn-in and filters problem. Can you tell me how does it compare to a 1440p monitor?
Zappologist
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zappologist »

Hi Enzel
I'm moving here our exchange from the other sub-forum, to keep all the input together

Zappologist wrote:
Depends on your income and lifestyle, only you can answer this question.
You cannot find better image quality, 2D or 3D (I did not try projectors). But these TVs are prone to burn in, and to misfit 3D filters, so you need to check for these two things before even thinking about buying it. Then, if all is ok, you still need to be aware that the hardware to drive these TVs in 4K 3D has not yet been invented, and probably never will (or when it will, 3D Vision will not be what it is today anyway). So you will always need to fiddle with setup. Play games on lowest settings, turn upscaling on in 3D Migoto, which cripples mouse use, play in SBS/OU which introduces horrible eye desync (probably due to the low refresh of the TVs) etc.
Even so, I bought two of these, when they were 4000 Eur each. I completely devastated one of them with burn in (not that you would notice in actual use). I would buy another one now, if they'd still be making them.

Enzel wrote:
Thanks a lot for your answer Zappologist, I understand by your words that despite all these problems the quality is so good that it makes it worth it, am i right?
Can you describe me a little better how good is it compared to a 1440P Monitor?
I know about the burn-in and filter problems yep, thanks for the warning
Maybe this year with a 3080ti this screens can be enjoyed as they deserve

Now, to reply to your question ...
You will probably see the same replies here, from owners of this TV like Whyme, Lacuna, etc (I don't know how many of us are here, I hope a great deal of people are enjoying this piece of technology)

First, a point of clarification. I own an LG 4K OLED bought in Europe, probably built in 2016 or 2017, 55 inches version.
Whyme/Lacuna know more about different versions, so just to clarify that I'm not sure we are talking about the exact same hardware.
But frankly, I don't think there are many technical differences between these TVs.

Secondly, about the comparison to a 1440P Monitor
It's difficult to overstate just how "game-changing" these TVs are. At this level of visual quality resolution is no longer a factor. The TVs can go 4K after all, not that you can drive so many pixels with any hardware in 2D. So the point of comparison is not resolution, but things like colour, responsiveness, ghosting, etc. I'm not even sure it's a matter of personal opinion, I strongly believe that these TVs are objectively the most impressive display mediums for any entertainment like games and movies.
The only small downside I could think of, depending on personal preference, might be the response time which is lower than what you expect from a gaming monitor. but I got used to it pretty fast and if you never go back to your monitor you will forget about it fast.

But once you see how games and 3D movies look on this TV you can no longer unsee it.
I recently went to see Rise of Skywalker in 3D at the cinema. Both me and the wife thought it was utter crap (this is a major Cinema complex, on the best LASER 3D technology you can have). It simply was miles away from the image we got used to seeing every day on our OLED. Inky blacks, blinding whites (looking at the sun in a movie or game gets you a real sunblind effect, where you lose your vision for a while), colours like you've never seen in your life.
Another thing that will forever ruin going to the movies for you is the “smoothness” that the TV has embedded in it when playing movies. It makes them look like they are not 25 FPS but much more. The human eye is used to see real images in 3D and with more than 25 FPS, so this LG TV smoothnes together with the image being in 3D, and the colours being life-like, makes some scenes in movies so incredible that the first impression is that they happen in your livingroom, not on a screen. (watching movies at night, the “true black” movie background blends into the real black of the actual room, so the actors/objects being displayed are really the only entities visible to your eyes, which is amazing).

You can see I speak passionately about this, not least because I’m so bitter by this technology being discontinued without a better (or even similar, ffs) replacement. But ultimately it is your money, and your decision. (go check the TV out again, at night, with an USB stick with a 3D movie rip like Black Panther, Thor Ragnarok, Doctor Strange, etc. Stick the … stick in the TV then watch a few action scenes. Gather your jaw from the floor, and pay the man …)

Good luck and enjoy!
Last edited by Zappologist on Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

Zappologist wrote:Hi Enzel
I'm moving here our exchange from the other sub-forum, to keep all the input together

[

Secondly, about the comparison to a 1440P Monitor
It's difficult to overstate just how "game-changing" these TVs are. At this level of visual quality resolution is no longer a factor.
+ 1 and of course the Size, 55" in 3D VS 27" in 3D, there is no fight 8)
b4thman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by b4thman »

sorry, my answer is related with this, but better in a new thread
Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX 2080 (no TI), 32 Gb RAM, Windows 21H1, Monitor Dell S2716DG, Nvidia 425.31 driver
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

I forgot to mention that the worst thing (except bad passive filters which is sine qua non for 3D) you can expect from an Oled TV is banding…

I don't know if LG 2016 3D have got often banding but my second hand LG EG920V from 2015 has pretty nasty banding.

It's a shame and well known problem on OLED LG TV, but I didn't know (I didn't see any mention of it in 3Dvision forums) when I bought mine and I only checked proper passive 3D filters.

I got burning too because old owner's wife probably watch morning TV bullshits every days but it's way less disturbing (& because it's on TV's corners) than banding which breaks totally the immersion in contrasted pictures or night scenes, how too loose all the supposed high contrast of OLED.
Those Oled TV producers are really big bastards and should have been condamned numerous time for the price they sell their faulty TVs…

Control quality are shitty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
Gatorkea
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Gatorkea »

just want to chime in as a 55C6P owner, yes it is probably worth it if you have a beast PC and can get one for a decent price. The main issue is the amount of power you need to run games in 4k3d. I do a lot of sim racing , so games like assetto corsa and raceroom run mostly at 60fps with max settings on my 1080ti and 9700k. It really is the best image you can get in 3d from anything available. For reference I have a dell 1440p 3d monitor, 3d projector @1080p 60fps(Optoma HD27HDR). Love all of them for specific reasons.
Enzel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Enzel »

Sorry for not answering before, I've been quite busy
Thanks a lot to everybody for your great feedback and experience, it´s an awsome community i hope we can continue enjoying our 3D hardware for many years :)
Shift-E
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Shift-E »

I don't know if you bought it already, but if you can afford the asking price I say definitely (thats a good price). I would bring a USB with the test color slides on it to test for burn in. Burn in usually shows up in only certain pixel colors that are used more often than others, the burn in on OLEDs is caused by cumulative time and not consecutive time. Some panels are more prone to it than others, as long as the previous owner does not watch 24hrs news channels all day every day you should be fine.

It doesn't get much better than 3D gaming on a 65" OLED, the size really helps the immersion - my old 52" 3D screen looked like a floating portal into a 3D world...but with my 65" OLED I feel like I am in that 3D world. You don't have to play in 4K either, you can still play in 1440p using TaB in 3DMigoto for performance demanding games. Also you will get the bonus of HDR, which looks amazing in some games (depends if the devs implemented it right). I overpaid for my LG but it has still been worth every penny, good luck!
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

Shift-E wrote: but with my 65" OLED I feel like I am in that 3D world.
Yeah and with VR you're in that 3D world ;)
55" LGC6V Tv 4k 3D, waiting HP Reverb 2 WMR VR Headset, EVGA 2080Ti, i7 9700K , 32Gb DDR4@3600, Windows 10 2004
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Re: Is it worth to buy a second hand LG OLED 65C6 for 3DVision?

Post by Muojo »

Enzel wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:06 am I own a 1440p 3D Vision monitor, is it worth to spend 1200 Euros to buy a second hand LG 65C6 OLED?

I have a 1080ti SLI to run it

Thanks!
I have a 55" C6 and its the best puchase i've ever made when it comes to electronics. I only wish it was bigger but I'm always on the move so the size fits me well. I am curious which 1440p 3D monitor do you have. I'd like to buy it cause I do want to try playng some RTS in 3D
Enzel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Enzel »

It´s a Asus pg278qr
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

Enzel wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:54 pm It´s a Asus pg278qr
It doesn't say anything about 3D vision on it though? How are you playing in 3D on it?
Enzel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Enzel »

Through a 3D emitter and nvidia active glasses. At 1440p with a 1080ti i think is pretty good
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

Enzel wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:45 am Through a 3D emitter and nvidia active glasses. At 1440p with a 1080ti i think is pretty good
Where did you get both? I only see one 27" on ebay that fits the part but its 800 bucks. I didn't even know you could get emitters
Enzel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Enzel »

I got it with another monitor many years ago, you should be able to get one in second hand market

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”