EDID override Passive 3DTV to avoid old HDMI limitation

bd32
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: EDID override Passive 3DTV to avoid old HDMI limitation

Post by bd32 »

Hi guys, thanks for the great article... I have got 4k 3d working great on my passive c6 TV, however once I switch to the EDID driver I lose capability of ATMOS audio - HDMI from computer goes to my ATMOS receiver. So close to the perfect 3d setup. I read above people have got it working.

Has anyone uploaded a LG C6/E6 EDID driver that also has ATMOS support? Is it one of the links at the top?
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ricardokung
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ricardokung »

Can someone help me,please.I have an tv led 4k LG 3d tv 49UF8500.What edid overide would fit with It for 3d Vision?.Thank you.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

ricardokung
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ricardokung »

3DNovice wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:26 am I do not think anyone made a modified version for a 1080P model, so use the EDID for the Acer HR274H.

https://3dvision-blog.com/7163-make-you ... 3d-vision/

Other links in OP, such as eye reversal
Thank you.I tried It but I'm getting this message:
"The folder that you specified doesn't contain driver software for your device.Select a folder that contains your driver software and try again".
Edit:
It's a 4k 3d passive tv.It has six or 7 3d modes(sbs,uo,checkerboard...etc)
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Did you try Joker18’s 4K EDID and 3D Eye Swapper, on first posting in this thread? Note that you must use one-time OS boot up authorization for non-signed driver, in order to override monitor driver in Device Manager first time. Also, interlaced display mode (created by EDID override) and TAB (not SBS) are best 3D display modes for this passive TV.

As DMan (3DNovice) suggests, the new geo-11 driver does not require EDID mods - just use TAB 3D format.
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

ricardokung
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ricardokung »

3DNovice wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:06 am Oops, sorry
That is a 4K TV, I thought it was 1080P.

I thought my 1080P was a UF, it was a WF

For Geo-11 you do not need a EDID Override, but you will need it if not using Geo-11
Thank you.I'm out of home right now.As soon as I'm back,I'll try Geo-11.Thank you again.
ricardokung
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ricardokung »

I tried Geo-11 with Conan Exiles and Dark Souls Remaster.Excellent result with Dark Souls(TAB),but Conan Exiles didn't worked(game crashes after the initial cutscene).Thank you.
aofelix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by aofelix »

This guide is gone now off youtube. Any links?
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Looks like lots of old references are disappearing over time.

1. Download and save joker18's 4K EDID file. Download and save EyeSwapper app.
2. Start Windows Device Manager. Select Generic Monitor driver under Monitors section of Device Manager, and select Update Driver. Select that you have driver locally, and navigate to joker18's EDID file.
3. The first time (and only the first time), you will need to bypass Windows 10/8 driver signature, as discussed in https://3dvision-blog.com/8483-how-to-i ... windows-8/.
4. Run EyeSwapper app every time you start computer for 3D gaming (leave it running).
5. Test 3D using NVidia Control Panel 3D test pattern.
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
aofelix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by aofelix »

whyme466 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:03 pm Looks like lots of old references are disappearing over time.

1. Download and save joker18's 4K EDID file. Download and save EyeSwapper app.
2. Start Windows Device Manager. Select Generic Monitor driver under Monitors section of Device Manager, and select Update Driver. Select that you have driver locally, and navigate to joker18's EDID file.
3. The first time (and only the first time), you will need to bypass Windows 10/8 driver signature, as discussed in https://3dvision-blog.com/8483-how-to-i ... windows-8/.
4. Run EyeSwapper app every time you start computer for 3D gaming (leave it running).
5. Test 3D using NVidia Control Panel 3D test pattern.
Thanks. I've tried this and windows states 'the best driver is already installed'
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Did you continue, ignoring warning?
aofelix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by aofelix »

whyme466 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:19 pm Did you continue, ignoring warning?
I've sorted it. Thank you mate. Your help has been amazing.

Played Arkham Knight in 3D and its incredible. Just sad that its so fiddly. I can't seem to get my head around convergence and whats the best number. SOTR is driving me crazy. Had it looking amazing yesterday, today its a mess.
aofelix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by aofelix »

With these EDID hack, I find I can't upscale 1080p or 1440p to 4K. I have to use 'no scaling'. I think I used Joker's one with the HDR.
Is this just for all EDID hacks? Or is it worth me playing around with the other ones?

I believe Joker's is the one which has HDR support. Not sure if the others do.
aofelix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by aofelix »

Irritatingly this has stopped working for me. Applied HDMI EDID again. Whenever I go to NVIDIA surround and enable for triple LG OLED C6, it seems to just mess up the monitors, remembering one has an LG, one has not.
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Instead of using EDID override, have you tried using Interlaced or Top/Bottom 3D display modes (in fixes supporting these modes)?
aofelix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by aofelix »

whyme466 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:40 pm Instead of using EDID override, have you tried using Interlaced or Top/Bottom 3D display modes (in fixes supporting these modes)?

Nope. Worth a try?
I managed to get the EDID Fix working (it was actually an AVR in the way)
However I'm moving to a 4090 soon so the EDID Fix won't be helpful for me long term.
drpsycho
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by drpsycho »

Hi, this is my setup:

Gtx970 with the latest drivers
Sony bravia kdl-55w805a (passive 3d/1080p 60hz)
Windows 10 22h2

What I did:

With 3DFixManager I installed the stereoscopic 3d driver and in display settings I set "3d display type" to "3d tv play"
Set game resolution to 720p 60hz
This worked like expected, but it seems that it's not the best experience.

My question:

If I understand corretly, with edid override I could play in 1080p 60hz, right?
I tried these two edids: https://3dvision-blog.com/tag/edid-override/
My tv got reconized as zalman or acer, in nvcp it shows as optimized, but the game don't get in 3d, don't even in 720p 60hz.
I tried messing with 3dfixmanager settings with no luck.

So what am I doing wrong? What is the best way possible to play arkham asylum in 3d with my setup?

Thank for the help.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

You should try to create you own edid mod. That's the best way, as it will contain the axact timings and capabilities of your display.
Extract your own display edid via moninfo into bin format.

You'll need to hex edit it, see my post here on what to edit.
viewtopic.php?p=187832#p187832

Then open that hex edited bin file in moninfo, and export it as a inf.

Enforce the driver and you'll see "Acer passive 3D LCD" in nvidia's control panel's stereoscopic settings.
drpsycho
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by drpsycho »

3DNovice wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:45 am Did you select the stereoscopic option in the in-game menu?
This game don't have this option, it automatically goes in 3d if i click "play in 3d" in 3d fix manager
drpsycho
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by drpsycho »

Innuendo1231 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:36 pm You should try to create you own edid mod. That's the best way, as it will contain the axact timings and capabilities of your display.
Extract your own display edid via moninfo into bin format.

You'll need to hex edit it, see my post here on what to edit.
viewtopic.php?p=187832#p187832

Then open that hex edited bin file in moninfo, and export it as a inf.

Enforce the driver and you'll see "Acer passive 3D LCD" in nvidia's control panel's stereoscopic settings.
I will try that, thanks. Will I be able to play this game in 1080p 60 fps in my 1080p tv with this mod?
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

Absolutely. It works generally for everything driven by 3dvison, which at this point means every dx9 game. Since for dx11 we have geo11 which has line interleaved output mode and it's better than 3dvision ever was.
By the way, doesn't Arkham asylum have dx11 mode?

Edit:
Arkham city was the first one that has dx11 mode, so that can be used with geo11. For asylum you indeed have to rely on 3dvision with edid mod, but that should work perfectly.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
drpsycho
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by drpsycho »

3DNovice wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:31 pm
3DNovice wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:45 am Did you select the stereoscopic option in the in-game menu?
drpsycho wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:41 pm This game don't have this option, it automatically goes in 3d if i click "play in 3d" in 3d fix manager
Haha what???
da duck, it doesn't....

dada da da da Batman.png

Well, at least it does in the Game of the Year version, I do not have the earlier version.
And if you are using an EDID override and Nvidia stereoscopic drivers to output Line Interleaved, well then......
I'm using 3dfix manager, I launch the game from there, it doesn't open this window, it goes automatically to the game, but like I said the game works well in 3d without the edid.
In 3dfixmanager I already set the output to line interleaved and it didn't work either, with the edid.
drpsycho
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by drpsycho »

Innuendo1231 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:42 pm Absolutely. It works generally for everything driven by 3dvison, which at this point means every dx9 game. Since for dx11 we have geo11 which has line interleaved output mode and it's better than 3dvision ever was.
By the way, doesn't Arkham asylum have dx11 mode?

Edit:
Arkham city was the first one that has dx11 mode, so that can be used with geo11. For asylum you indeed have to rely on 3dvision with edid mod, but that should work perfectly.
I didn't have the time to test your sugestion yet, but let me ask something, line interleaved is the best 3d option for passive displays? Why is it better than 3dtvplay or side by side? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks.
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

drpsycho wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:45 pm I didn't have the time to test your sugestion yet, but let me ask something, line interleaved is the best 3d option for passive displays? Why is it better than 3dtvplay or side by side? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Thanks.
For many reasons.
Line interleaved is how the Tv displays the 3D. If you use any other format, then the TV has to convert it from that format to line interleaved. This will result in lower picture quality compared to if it's natively coming from the GPU in interleaved format.
The conversion by the TV from one format to the other also takes time which meas that input lag will be MUCH higher.
And lastly, 3DTVplay limits your resolution to 720p @ 60hz or 1080p @ 24hz. So that's the worst possible solution.

Also 3dfix manager is not really needed. It only confuses things now. It was created long ago and didn't keep up with the changes in the drivers and windows itself and no longer works properly in my exprience. See the thread that I linked earlier (with the hex edit), I explain how I was able to fix 3Dvision for dx9 with current windows 10 and current nvidia driver.
The only thing that I use 3d fix manager for is to install the 3D vision driver component (not the base driver itself). After that I never run it again.
drpsycho
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by drpsycho »

Innuendo1231 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:07 pm
drpsycho wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:45 pm I didn't have the time to test your sugestion yet, but let me ask something, line interleaved is the best 3d option for passive displays? Why is it better than 3dtvplay or side by side? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Thanks.
For many reasons.
Line interleaved is how the Tv displays the 3D. If you use any other format, then the TV has to convert it from that format to line interleaved. This will result in lower picture quality compared to if it's natively coming from the GPU in interleaved format.
The conversion by the TV from one format to the other also takes time which meas that input lag will be MUCH higher.
And lastly, 3DTVplay limits your resolution to 720p @ 60hz or 1080p @ 24hz. So that's the worst possible solution.

Also 3dfix manager is not really needed. It only confuses things now. It was created long ago and didn't keep up with the changes in the drivers and windows itself and no longer works properly in my exprience. See the thread that I linked earlier (with the hex edit), I explain how I was able to fix 3Dvision for dx9 with current windows 10 and current nvidia driver.
The only thing that I use 3d fix manager for is to install the 3D vision driver component (not the base driver itself). After that I never run it again.
Hi, 3d fix manager works well here without the edid. I'm using current windows 10 and current drivers. I set 3d display type as 3dtvplay in its settings and click "play 3d" and it works, but in 720p 60hz. The only problem is when I try to use the edid.

I tried the ex editing thing and it didnt work. It shows optimized for nvidia in nvcp but the tv don't detect the signal as 3d, not even in 720p. In 3d fix manager I set the display type as "line interleaving" (it dont work as 3dtvplay either). Maybe 3d fix manager isn't compatible with the edid?

Ps.: When I import the edited edid in moninfo it gives me this error: "the selected edid has an invalid header and/or checksum. It has been auto-corrected so the rest of the data can be viewed and saved to a file". But even with this error I can export as inf.
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

3DTV play and line interleaved mode are two opposite things. 3DTV play uses a special standardized 3D HDMI format signal, that packs the left and right eye frames together, then the TV has to process and convert that to its own display mode.

Line interleaved mode is NOT a 3D signal format. It is a regular 2D signal that has alternating pixel rows the left and right eye picture in odd/even lines. The TV will not recognize it as a 3D signal but the alternating odd and even lines that are displayed are aligned with the TV's polarizing panel. This is literally the point of passive 3D ... no conversion, no special formats, just a plain 2D signal with your TV's native resolution at whatever refresh rate (60hz, mostly).

In other words, no you should not use 3dtv play mode at all. That is what you want to avoid.

It's very much possible that the 3D fix manager isn't compatible with native line interleaved mode or the edid mod. Like I said, it isn't working as it was once intended anymore.

You can just put the helixmod fix into the game's folder manually, no need to use 3d fix manager, try to close it (it should not run in the background).

If the nvidia control panel says optimized for geforce, that's good. Can you alter the separation values and apply the settings? Does it save normally?
Last edited by Innuendo1231 on Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

(double post)
drpsycho
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by drpsycho »

Innuendo1231 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:51 pm 3DTV play and line interleaved mode are two opposite things. 3DTV play uses a special standardized 3D HDMI format signal, that packs the left and right eye frames together, then the TV has to process and convert that to its own display mode.

Line interleaved mode is NOT a 3D signal format. It is a regular 2D signal that has alternating pixel rows the left and right eye picture in odd/even lines. The TV will not recognize it as a 3D signal but the alternating odd and even lines that are displayed are aligned with the TV's polarizing panel. This is literally the point of passive 3D ... no conversion, no special formats, just a plain 2D signal with your TV's native resolution at whatever refresh rate (60hz, mostly).

In other words, no you should not use 3dtv play mode at all. That is what you want to avoid.

It's very much possible that the 3D fix manager isn't compatible with native line interleaved mode or the edid mod. Like I said, it isn't working as it was once intended anymore.

You can just put the helixmod fix into the game's folder manually, no need to use 3d fix manager, try to close it (it should not run in the background).

If the nvidia control panel says optimized for geforce, that's good. Can you alter the separation values and apply the settings? Does it save normally?
I have just discovered that if I alter the separation value trought nvcp and apply it comes back to default 15% value.
But if I alter it trought the 3d fix manager and then check the value in nvcp it is with the new value.

But now I discovered other things:

Without the edid and in 3dtvplay mode, i click "play 3d" in 3d fix manager and the game starts automaticaly in 3d, without the need to change game settings.

With the edid and in line interleaved mode this doesn't happen, I need to start the game outside 3d fix manager, then it opens a launcher where I have to manually enable the 3d option (if I start the game with 3d fix manager it goes directly to the game and doesnt open this launcher and doesnt go in 3d), thats why I thought it wasn't working. Enabling this option it works.

But now I went into other problems:

In 1080p the game crash and I have to restart the pc.
In 720p the game goes in 3d but with a terrible image, with white/transparent shadows arround everything, many times worse than 3dtvplay. And the cutscenes are not in 3d like in the 3dtvplay mode.

Any more ideas?
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

Jeez, this is a big mess. I never had to go through any of these problems when I played the game and I never had anything else than a passive 3D TV. I always just lancuhed the game without 3d fix manager and everything worked.

But the reason you can't save the stereo settings is beucase of 3d vision's installation problems that the 3d fix manager can't resolve by itself. Look at the thread I linked earlier and you'll find the instructions to fix it.

I would start over from zero. Uninstall every bit of nvidia driver with DDU, start from the ground up. And forget 3dtvplay and 3d fix manager. Really, it just tangels everything up, as you can see. The only reason to use 3d fix manager is to let it install 3d vision, after that, let go of it.
drpsycho
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by drpsycho »

Innuendo1231 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:59 pm Jeez, this is a big mess. I never had to go through any of these problems when I played the game and I never had anything else than a passive 3D TV. I always just lancuhed the game without 3d fix manager and everything worked.

But the reason you can't save the stereo settings is beucase of 3d vision's installation problems that the 3d fix manager can't resolve by itself. Look at the thread I linked earlier and you'll find the instructions to fix it.

I would start over from zero. Uninstall every bit of nvidia driver with DDU, start from the ground up. And forget 3dtvplay and 3d fix manager. Really, it just tangels everything up, as you can see. The only reason to use 3d fix manager is to let it install 3d vision, after that, let go of it.
After using ddu, installing the old drivers that comes with the 3d driver would bypass the use of 3dfix manager and your fix right?

When you played the game the cutscenes were in 3d in line interleaved?
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

drpsycho wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:18 pm When you played the game the cutscenes were in 3d in line interleaved?
Which cutscenes are you talking about? The real time rendered or the pre-rendered cutscenes? The pre-rendered cutscenes are not 3D in arkham asylum, only in akrham city. The real time cutscenes were always 3D for me.
drpsycho wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:18 pm After using ddu, installing the old drivers that comes with the 3d driver would bypass the use of 3dfix manager and your fix right?
Which fix are you talking about?

The edid override will always be necesary in every case. If you are going to use the old 425.31 drvier, than the edid mod is all that you need to do. Keep in mind that the monitor's (TVs) driver will likely always reset after a driver reinstall, so you need to enforce it the device manager after every driver install.
3D fix manager let's you install the base driver 425.31 and also let's you install 3d vision driver on top of that. IF you stay with this old driver, then you just apply the edid mod and after that 3d vision should automatically work in line interleaved mode (no 3d fix manager!) you can check if it's enabled in the nvidia control panel, and you should be able to save different settings too. Don't forget to enable the advanced controls there, or you won't be able to change convergence ingame. You can launch the game as you would normally without 3d fix manager running and everything should work fine.

I guess this is what you should do first, this step is necesary for making the newer drivers work anyway.

If howerer, you want to use the latest drivers, then you need follow the fixing process I discribed in this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=187832

If you do that procdure, you'll have latest drivers, 3d vision for dx9 and you can use geo-11 for dx11.

On a side note, for my 49 and 55 inch TV's I always had to makde drastic changes to the separation and convergence values.
For separation I have to use between 5% - 8% depending on game, and pair it with a VERY high convergence value that brings your character (that you're playing with) to screen depth. This gives the best looking stereo result and also the least strain on your eyes.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

drpsycho
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by drpsycho »

Innuendo1231 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:20 am
drpsycho wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:18 pm When you played the game the cutscenes were in 3d in line interleaved?
Which cutscenes are you talking about? The real time rendered or the pre-rendered cutscenes? The pre-rendered cutscenes are not 3D in arkham asylum, only in akrham city. The real time cutscenes were always 3D for me.
drpsycho wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:18 pm After using ddu, installing the old drivers that comes with the 3d driver would bypass the use of 3dfix manager and your fix right?
Which fix are you talking about?

The edid override will always be necesary in every case. If you are going to use the old 425.31 drvier, than the edid mod is all that you need to do. Keep in mind that the monitor's (TVs) driver will likely always reset after a driver reinstall, so you need to enforce it the device manager after every driver install.
3D fix manager let's you install the base driver 425.31 and also let's you install 3d vision driver on top of that. IF you stay with this old driver, then you just apply the edid mod and after that 3d vision should automatically work in line interleaved mode (no 3d fix manager!) you can check if it's enabled in the nvidia control panel, and you should be able to save different settings too. Don't forget to enable the advanced controls there, or you won't be able to change convergence ingame. You can launch the game as you would normally without 3d fix manager running and everything should work fine.

I guess this is what you should do first, this step is necesary for making the newer drivers work anyway.

If howerer, you want to use the latest drivers, then you need follow the fixing process I discribed in this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=187832

If you do that procdure, you'll have latest drivers, 3d vision for dx9 and you can use geo-11 for dx11.

On a side note, for my 49 and 55 inch TV's I always had to makde drastic changes to the separation and convergence values.
For separation I have to use between 5% - 8% depending on game, and pair it with a VERY high convergence value that brings your character (that you're playing with) to screen depth. This gives the best looking stereo result and also the least strain on your eyes.
Well, it worked, kind of. I installed the 425.31 driver and didn't touch 3d fix manager. I enabled the advanced controls and messed with the separation and convergence but the 3d is terrible, couldn't find a good combination of the values.

There are these transparent shadows around everything, even with the glasses, and if I lower the values the shadows decrease but then there is no notion of 3D and depth. In 3dtvplay mode, default settings, the notion of 3d and depth is waaay better for me, sometimes it looks like the things are jumping off the screen. Maybe this game isn't good for line interleaving..

IMG_20231122_230359.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”