Subnautica update - 11/06/2019

SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Subnautica update - 11/06/2019

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

A friend of mine just clued me in that the original Subnautica was getting a large update. A brief scan of the comment section on Unknown Worlds website confirms that I DO NOT WANT this update, especially knowing that it will likely break the 3D fix. It also breaks all mods, of which I'm probably running at least 30.

I opened the Epic Store (where my Subnautica was obtained) and sure enough.. it started downloading the update. I canceled the download and disabled auto-updating, but it was too late it seems... Now the game will not give me the option to launch, only the option to resume the update. I can't even launch it directly from the .exe.

I've searched for a solution to this, thinking that maybe there is a cache for the Epic Store Launcher that needs to be cleared(?), but I cannot find a solution to this exact problem on the web.

Do any of you gentlemen who are much smarter than I have a possible solution?
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Subnautica update - 11/06/2019

Post by DJ-RK »

Just let it update and see if the 3D fix works. 3D fixes are a different ballgame than standard gameplay mods, especially with the inclusion of us being able to fix via regex (which looks for patterns in the code rather than going based off of "hashes" matching), so there's a pretty decent chance the mod will still work. If not, come back to report it (although possibly better to do so on Discord) and maybe DSS will be interested in updating his fix accordingly.

If not, then I can say from experience, Subnautica played in VR is a pretty sweet experience, and the headset market has never been better with available options, so could be a good time to take the VR plunge!
SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

Thanks for the reply DJ-RK. While breaking the 3D fix was my primary concern, it was by far not the only one. This new update, judging by the comments on Subnautica forums, is an absolute buggy mess. It ruins save games, disables all mods, and even contains some game-breaking bugs, should you decide to start all over with a vanilla game. So I'd be really interested to know if it's possible to stop the Epic Launcher from thinking that the game needs to be updated.

P.S. - I think the chances of the 3D fix breaking ARE strong, as the update contains changes to the game engine itself. There is another update specifically for the game engine planned for release even after this latest one, according to the devs.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

Just a quick note that the Epic Game Store has an option to disable automatic updating. Setting->ManageGames->AllowAuto-Updates.

For anyone concerned about these forced updates- go change that to off, right now.

This is not a complete solution, because EGS seems to force an update before you can launch out of their UI. However, you can still directly launch the exe file and it seems to work.

I have not seen any way to manage the installation in EGS, or to revert to prior versions. Another reason to hate the EGS.

Steam has forced updates, always, with no way to disable it. However Steam also has a console method of allowing to you download older builds, so you are never actually forced to run something new.

Bit of a hassle, but the option exists.

GoG allows you full control over what version you want to use, install, and play. GoG is the least hostile to 3D users today, and their super launcher of Galaxy 2.0 means I don't have to use that butt-ugly Steam update.
SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

bo3bber wrote:Just a quick note that the Epic Game Store has an option to disable automatic updating. Setting->ManageGames->AllowAuto-Updates.

For anyone concerned about these forced updates- go change that to off, right now.

This is not a complete solution, because EGS seems to force an update before you can launch out of their UI. However, you can still directly launch the exe file and it seems to work.
I turned off auto-updating, but only after the game started to update. Which means that stinking EGS won't let me run the game without completing the update. Not sure if that's the key difference, but launching directly from the .exe does not work in this case. Very frustrating.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

SnickerSnack1 wrote:I turned off auto-updating, but only after the game started to update. Which means that stinking EGS won't let me run the game without completing the update. Not sure if that's the key difference, but launching directly from the .exe does not work in this case. Very frustrating.
Sorry, that's right, doesn't help in your case. More for anybody else who might run into this, and any other games on EGS. Turn off all the updaters, or make backups of your game directories onto giant external drives.

I just tested this update, and can confirm that it breaks the fix. Update is 5G. Shadows are broken, and the UI HUD elements are disjointed. If you have VR headset plugged in, you also need -vrmode none. VR mode is as broken as it's ever been, stuff too close to your face. Playable, but not a great experience. Presumably the VR mod is now broken as well.

Since it's Unity game, it would be worth trying to apply DHR's Universal Fix.
SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

bo3bber wrote:
SnickerSnack1 wrote:I turned off auto-updating, but only after the game started to update. Which means that stinking EGS won't let me run the game without completing the update. Not sure if that's the key difference, but launching directly from the .exe does not work in this case. Very frustrating.
Sorry, that's right, doesn't help in your case. More for anybody else who might run into this, and any other games on EGS. Turn off all the updaters, or make backups of your game directories onto giant external drives.

I just tested this update, and can confirm that it breaks the fix. Update is 5G. Shadows are broken, and the UI HUD elements are disjointed. If you have VR headset plugged in, you also need -vrmode none. VR mode is as broken as it's ever been, stuff too close to your face. Playable, but not a great experience. Presumably the VR mod is now broken as well.

Since it's Unity game, it would be worth trying to apply DHR's Universal Fix.
Thanks for verifying. Good grief, that blows. I'll try the Universal when I have the chance and report back.
SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

Dearest bo3bber and/or anyone else who is interested:

I've never seen this before.... I have been troubleshooting my issue with Subnautica failing to launch. I have discovered that it has to do with 3D Vision being enabled in the NVCP. Doesn't matter whether the 3D fix is installed or not... IF 3D Vision is enabled on the driver level, the game immediately crashes.

Wut the...?

P.S... After finding the time to mess with this, I have discovered that I don't really know where to find or how to install DHR's Universal fix.... I see discussion about it for Unreal, but this game uses Unity (?).
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2018/09/un ... l-fix.html

There is a different version that DarkStarSword made which is the Unity scripts, but requires python. I'd start with the universal fix in that link.

Subnautica is launching OK for me, no crashes with 3D on. Using Epic Game Store version. However I'm not getting 3D activated, just 2D, even with -window-mode exclusive. But my setup is now a bit weird, Win 10 1903, Driver 432.00. Black the Fall works though, and it's Unity.

In any case for your crash there, I'd start with the usual by reinstalling the video driver cleanly using DDU. I've had the driver just go bad, with no apparent reason.
SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

Thank you for the suggestion bo3bber. Here are the results:

1) I was on driver version 417.. So I installed the latest GeForce driver (441.) using Paul's wonderful 3DFM. It reinstalled the 3D driver for me. 3D no longer worked correctly in general, let alone Subnautica.

2) I installed the last known "good" 3D driver (425.) and 3D was working again.

3) I tested another 3D-ready game also launched through Epic and verified that 3D is working properly and the Epic store itself isn't the issue.

4) I reinstalled Subnautica completely and did not try to install the 3D fix to see if it would start completely vanilla.

5) I verified that Subnautica launches correctly when 3D mode is disabled in the NVCP.

6) I disabled my other two displays just in case they were causing some sort of confusion.

7) I enabled 3D mode in NVCP and launched the game...

After trying all of the above, the problem persists.... The game tries to launch, immediately there is a small window that appears in the middle of the screen with the little Peeper fish on it, and at the top it has one line of text something to the effect of "UNITY 30-020..." (numbers approximate) and then it goes away and I'm kicked back out to the Epic launcher. The little error window doesn't even show for a full second, therefore I am unable to read what it actually says.

This is one game I could never be satisfied with playing in 2D only, and it has become, quite possibly, my all-time favorite game. I am really perplexed and disappointed.
Shift-E
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Shift-E »

I know this is no help and much too late, but this is the reason I make a backup of each game once I have it working perfectly in 3D. I learned the hard way that updates really f@ck up all the hard work the shaderhackers do, must be incredibly frustrating for them to have to revisit old fixes and correct them again. Maybe you can "find" the old version of the game online somewhere. I don't trust the epic auto update setting, mine was and is still clearly set to off yet it still updated Control when I launched it with no way to stop the process.

and completely off topic, can't wait for Subnautica Sub Zero - can only hope it gets an equally amazing 3D fix!!!
SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

So, this is the first time something like this has ever happened, therefore it's my first lesson learned the hard way.... Yes, if only I had backed up everything before I turned on that stupid Epic launcher. I wish I knew what was preventing it from launching.... I'd be more than happy to purchase the Steam version if I knew that would fix the problem, but without knowing what the problem is, it might be throwing money away. Of course that would be to just get the game running with 3D enabled, let alone 'fixed' again. :cry:

*edit*: So based on ShiftE's suggestion, I found this video on how to revert the game to previous builds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jPmNM95jTg

Some of you are probably familiar with this method for other games - I seen it being discussed before. Anyways, is there anyone out there who owns Subnautica on Steam and can verify whether or not it's possible to still get the previous build using Steam Console? If it's possible, I will gladly pay the $25 to purchase Subnautica on Steam (because I currently own the Epic version).
SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

I'm probably the only person interested in this issue at the moment, but for posterity I'd like to help and inform in any way I can...

*Edit: I am an idiot.... I'm not sure if the Big Little Update changed the .exe settings, or if it happened after I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, but the VERY KEY little setting "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations" was no longer ticked in the .exe properties. That's what was preventing the game from running with 3D enabled. I forgot all about that being a necessity after Windows updated to 1809.

So now I have purchased the game from Steam and have a previous version loaded up that works with the fix and, although I haven't tried yet, presumably with all of those glorious mods. I've also disabled auto-updating and have a backup :geek:

Once the mods get updated to be compatible with the latest version (if ever), I may reinstall the new version to see how well the automatic fix does. But without mod support, and KNOWING that 3D is broken (thanks bo3ber), then there's no motivation to mess with it at the moment.
SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

I'm bumping this to let you (as in all y'all) know that I've tried to use the automatic Unity fix with the updated version of the game, however I cannot get 3D to kick in whatsoever, broken or otherwise.

The recent update to the game had its own bugs, but those have been sorted out, and the dozens of mods that made the game so much better have also been updated. So the only thing holding back this gem of a game is the lack of a current 3D fix. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that prevents 3D from starting with the current version of the game.

I have checked the box "disable fullscreen optimizations" in the properties of the .exe (without doing that the game won't launch period).
I have ensured that "-window-mode exclusive" is enabled in the Steam launch options.

Not that I have the skill to fix anything that remains broken, but I'm really curious to see how broken the game is after applying the automatic fix. Can't get it to work though.... could it be because this version of Unity is so new?
ToThePoint
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ToThePoint »

Really appreciate you bumping this thread as I'd been completely oblivious to the unwanted effect of whatever game update occurred in early November. I've still got Subnautica running on an older rig that's in archive mode, but Steam still managed to catch me out on one occasion, and so I had no option but to let all of my games update in one go. That happened back in October I think, and so I count myself as being very fortunate that I'd only missed that killer update by a few days. After that major fright, I've since made copies of my more treasured older games, Subnautica included. Playing it with the FOV and convergence cranked way up is probably the closest that I've felt to experiencing VR's sense of presence without actually being in VR. It's yet another extraordinary fix by DarkStarSword.

If I understand you correctly, you've now got your Steam version working, but not your Epic Store version, so congrats for getting at least one version operational again in 3D.
Intel Core i7 6850k @ 3.6 Ghz (Liquid Cooled: Corsair Hydro H115i), 2x GTX 1080 Ti, HB SLI @ x16x16 (Air Cooled), GTX 1060 Dedicated PhysX, 32Gb RAM Kingston Predator
Asus X-99 Deluxe II Motherboard, Corsair Obsidian 1000D Super Tower, Win7 Pro (442.19), Win8.1 (441.66), Ubuntu, Rog Swift PG27VQ 3D (1440p), HTC Vive
SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

ToThePoint wrote: If I understand you correctly, you've now got your Steam version working, but not your Epic Store version, so congrats for getting at least one version operational again in 3D.
Yes, you understand correctly, although what I would really, really, reallllly like to happen is for the 3D fix to get updated as well so that it's compatible with the latest version of the game. The reason being, as I was trying to convey, is that the update immensely improved the performance of the game, which was badly needed. Any undertaking like that is well beyond me, so I can only hope for a shaderhacker to show interest at some point.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

Just tested this using DHR's Universal Unity fix, and it was working OK. Not as good as DarkStarSword's fix, because we lose the HUD and UI fixes, but it's definitely playable this way. Probably would be worth disabling that stupid useless cursor though. Wouldn't hurt to see if the DSS HUD pieces can be ported over to the universal fix.

To use this, you need to launch the game with -window-mode exclusive, and if you have a VR headset hooked up also -vrmode none. First launch I did not get 3D, but after toggling in-game windowed/fullscreen it was working fine.

Subnautica004_085.jpg
Subnautica006_085.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

@ bo3bber: Thanks for mentioning how to get the Unity fix to enable 3D! I didn't think to toggle the window mode/fullscreen mode in-game. That is, indeed, the trick.

Now that I've had the opportunity to look at the universal fix myself, I've made the following observations: I noticed that both of your screens happened to be at night, have you tried the game during daytime? Just curious because for me, the shadows are totally borked. Like, unplayable borked. I had remembered from the original fix readme that AA must be set to FXAA, otherwise the shadows are broken. - Just mentioning that I DID try both FXAA and TAA and it made no difference to the broken shadows.

The other issue is that convergence has to be changed so drastically in order to get the HUD readable and Scuba mask to be positioned correctly, it creates double images and major ghosting of various objects.

I've tried pasting these two files [mouse.hlsl & hud.hlsl] from the original fix into DHR's universal shader fix folder to see if that made any improvements to the HUD elements. It did not.

I am more than willing to put up with a few minor issues in exchange for mostly good 3D, but what I'm getting currently isn't playable. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the fix several times, and I know it's registering because I get the green message at the bottom-right. Would you mind letting me know if these are NOT the same things you are seeing? I may have to examine driver issues if you are getting a much better picture in this case. Thank you!

#Edit: I did ensure that my 3D Vision was working correctly with other games.
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

Firstly sorry but I haven't read every word here...

But are you sure that you use the right version of the Universal fix ?
and if yes, have you tried another profile, when things fall apart with convergence adjustment, something is totally wrong...
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

Subnautica009_085.jpg
Subnautica008_085.jpg
Not sure, seems OK to me. Not perfect, but definitely playable. If I were to do another play through, I'd figure out how to get rid of the scuba mask, center cursor, and the underwater caustics. Shader hunt them, and mark them as skip.

Or maybe use other modding tools to get rid of things like the scuba mask. It breaks apart at FOV different from 60, and that's pretty lame.

This is using the DHR Universal fix with 2017 enabled.

May not be what you are looking for, just trying to provide options. Maybe this is the game that pushes you do some shader hacking? :->
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

@ bo3bber: Okay thanks for the screens, what you are seeing is definitely much better than what I was seeing. I installed the Universal fix but didn't enable any particular setting for different Unity versions. I didn't know which to pick, and just left it alone. My guess, therefore, is that even though the fix shows me that it's loading/injecting/whatever, the reality is that it's not really "fixing" anything. This is encouraging! I don't have time to try it right now, but I will enable the 2017 version and see if that helps.

Also, you will be thrilled with this news... The Scuba mask is a non-issue from the shaderhacking perspective. There's an option to disable/enable it in-game by simply pressing 'F6.'

As for the crosshair, there is a mod out there that disables it. DSS's original fix that allows it to enable/disable by pressing 'X' is much more elegant, but again, from a shaderhacking perspective, if you want it gone permanently, there is an easy way to do it: https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/376

Thanks for the help... I'm whittling away at this, not wanting to dive into full shaderhacking, but you never know ;-)
SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

Okay, so I've enabled the 2017 Universal fix and I can confirm that it does indeed fix the shadows. Also a nice benefit is that it doesn't seem to matter whether FXAA or TAA is enabled, which was not the case with DSS's previous (original) fix. Skybox and lunar objects are all rendering perfectly.

What's still broken (at least on my system):

1) Water reflections on the seafloor. Other reflections seem 'off' just a little as well, but I don't really know how to describe it.
2) Major halo'ing on the lifepod when standing on it, or looking up at it from underneath when swimming a few meters down.
3) Convergence is still a mess. I still have to significantly lower convergence to get a playable setting. The 2 halves of the scuba mask appear in the middle of the screen, and by the time I lower convergence enough to place the mask in the correct spot, a lot of the 3D effect is lost. (Bo3bber, would you please let me know if your convergence settings had to be adjusted in a similar way? What I'm seeing in your screenshots still seems to be better balanced than what I'm seeing on my end.)
4) The HUD is a mess because of the convergence issues. Once I lower convergence to the point that the game is playable, it nearly ruins the game menu. The mouse cursor is doubled and makes it extremely hard to pick anything from inventory or make simple selections of anything. Eliminating the crosshair will help with the visuals, but won't help the problem of interacting with things.

... The lifepod haloing is not a big deal, and if those other issues are resolved, this would be quite playable. I have no idea where to begin - I've never learned anything about coding beyond basic .ini adjustments. I sure wish DSS was still around, but I wish him the best wherever he is. :cry:
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

Why don't you try a profile with 2D hud, like Tombraider Aniversary or perhaps Dolphin emulator, that way the hud stays even with high convergence!
SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

Blacksmith60 wrote:Why don't you try a profile with 2D hud, like Tombraider Aniversary or perhaps Dolphin emulator, that way the hud stays even with high convergence!
I'd give it a shot, but won't the profile selected also need to come from a current Unity game? Or am I misunderstanding? (I don't even know what Dolphin emulator is - I'm telling ya, you're dealing with a noob here.)

*EDIT: I tried TR: Anniversary and it most definitely is not an improvement. Hud lines up behind the player's appendages, and many objects are completely broken. Resetting back to DHR's Universal fix, I have managed to find a happy medium:
1) I've lowered convergence to the point where the mouse cursor lines up correctly with the player inventory (essential).
2) This breaks the scuba mask, but that can be eliminated by an in-game setting.
3) The game menu is pretty messed up, being set further into depth than the player inventory, but it's still possible to navigate it with some practice.
4) Last thing is removing the crosshair completely, which is doubled and useless without a proper fix. This can be removed with a mod someone created. I actually found the crosshair quite useful back when the fix was working, but i'm sure will practice I can get used to it being gone.
5) Since the big game update is not compatible with prior saves (mostly heavily modded ones), I'm having to start fresh, and so I have no idea what these settings will look like once I get into vehicles.

... After all that, it's still better with broken 3D than no 3D at all. :geek:
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

SnickerSnack1 wrote:
Blacksmith60 wrote:Why don't you try a profile with 2D hud, like Tombraider Aniversary or perhaps Dolphin emulator, that way the hud stays even with high convergence!
I'd give it a shot, but won't the profile selected also need to come from a current Unity game? Or am I misunderstanding? (I don't even know what Dolphin emulator is - I'm telling ya, you're dealing with a noob here.)
... After all that, it's still better with broken 3D than no 3D at all. :geek:
You're right, 3D rules anyway :)

But you should give it another try with the profiles, I asume you used NVInspector to change the profile, and TR didn't work for you, well try one of the other profiles that makes the the hud 2D, Dolphin and TR:A is among the most used profiles here for this purpose!

1. Dolphin Emulator (you don't actually need to know what it is, just find the program in the profile list in NVinspector :)
2. Total War:Arena
3.Major League Baseball 2
SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

@ Blacksmith60: Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I used NVInspector. But how do I prevent Subnautica profiles from being deleted permanently and having to reinstall drivers just to get the profiles back?
For example: I attached the subnautica.exe to TR: A, but in so doing I must also remove the .exe from the Subnautica profile, which in turn deletes that profile altogether. After testing with TR:A and failing, I then just attached the subnautica.exe to "Subnautica Below Zero" (same game engine) just to avoid reinstalling drivers.

How do I apply your suggestion of trying multiple profiles without running into this problem?
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

You can use Geforce 3D Profile Manager, it's very simple just run it and click export sli profile, now you have a copy of all your profiles!
When you're done just import them again, but this needs a little extra, so before import delete "nvdrssel.bin", it can normally be found in c:/Programdata/NVidia Corporation/Drs

Don't worry this will be regenerated automaticly!

Another approch is - find a random exe file, eg from another game with several exe's, and use one of them temporary as a dummy exe in the Subnautica profile, so it won't get deleted.

Edit: It can be a little tricky to find the manager, so here it is.
SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

^^^ Thank you for the instructions, and for the file to download - I did not have it previously!
SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

Just a little update that I stopped trying to fix this game (not that I'm capable of doing anything effective anyways) and just started to enjoy it for what it is. And it is, in fact, quite playable, but it takes some doing to get there. I've reached a point in a new playthrough to get the Seamoth, and there's nothing broken with the 3D effects, so... yeah... this game has new life as far as I'm concerned. I didn't realize how badly needed the Unity engine update was needed until comparing the old version and new. To have perfectly fluid framerates is a thing of beauty! They have also added some subtle effects. Shadows and ambient lighting seem better. I've noticed some textures have been downgraded, but pop-in has been greatly reduced, and overall it's a big improvement.

I may get the desire to tinker with alternate profiles to improve the HUD experience, but I have my doubts as to whether anything is going to work better without breaking what the Universal fix corrects.

Anyways, here are the steps to enjoy the game right now, in no particular order, for cohesive documentation purposes:

1) Install DHR's Universal Fix for Unity, choose the 2017 option.
2) If you're running Windows 10 1809 or newer, go into the .exe properties and "disable fullscreen optimizations" in the "compatibility" tab.
3) Go into the game client software (either Steam or Epic) and in the launch options type "-window-mode exclusive" without the quotes.
4) Go to https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica to download the latest version of QMod Manager (I would hyperlink the exact page but I'm not sure if it changes)
5) Install QMods to your game's directory
6) Also while at Nexus, find the mod "no crosshair" and add this mod to Qmods. Bo3ber is right - The crosshair isn't needed in this game and it looks more beautiful without.
7) When launching the game for the first time, 3D may not kick in until you attempt to toggle the in-game setting 'Fullscreen/Windowed' (This is only needed once.)
8) Once you are playing, the convergence must be lowered drastically. There is a sweet spot in which everything becomes comfortable, including with the player's PDA, with no doubling of the mouse. This does not permit you to dive with the Scuba mask visible without errors on the sides of the screen. The mask can be disabled by pressing 'F6' (an in-game setting). This must be done with each new game session.
These settings mess up the game settings menu, creating a doubled mouse cursor and such, but other than pausing, saving, and quitting, (which are still easy buttons to press), there's no need to be in the settings anyway.

I didn't think I would like these convergence settings at first, because it's quite opposite of toyification, but in actuality, I now wish I'd been playing Subnautica with these settings all along. It feels very true to life in terms of scale, and as such, for a first-person game, I feel like it's the most immersed (pardon the pun) I've been in this game for a long time!

If anyone is thinking of a new playthrough and you need help understanding how the mods are installed (and even a recommendation on which ones to get - I'm running at least 40, and they greatly enhance the game without feeling like cheating), hit me up and I'd be glad to help. It's a tiny part I can play to feel like I'm contributing something to the community.
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

The new version of Subnautica is UNITY 2019.2, this is not fixable with the DSS scripts currently.

Losti@DESKTOP-EGV2CI9 /cygdrive/e/Games/Subnautica
$ ~/3d-fixes/UNITY5/DX11/autofix55.sh
Using 3d-fixes directory: C:\cygwin64\home\Losti\3d-fixes
Using fxc: C:\cygwin64\home\Losti\3d-fixes\fxc.exe
Analysing Subnautica_Data/Resources/unity default resources...
Header len (?): 1813 (0x00000715)
File Version: 20
Unsupported file version 20
Dark_saiyens
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dark_saiyens »

I have tried the fix with DHR Universal Fix.
This is awful... All the shadows are wrong, only one eyes got it. It is unplayble...
The mouse is double, so when u try to pick some items in your PDA it is hard and boring.

This game was so good in 3D now it is over and no fixes ... :(
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

We have to wait for DSS in this place. This game is far away from my own interest, so i do not spend a minute in this for try to make an individual fix.
SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

Dark_saiyens wrote:I have tried the fix with DHR Universal Fix.
This is awful... All the shadows are wrong, only one eyes got it. It is unplayble...
The mouse is double, so when u try to pick some items in your PDA it is hard and boring.

What you are describing with the shadows indicates that the fix isn't enabled, because shadows are not broken with the correct fix. Try going into the universal fix "d3dx.ini" file and enabling the correct fix version. This is what it looks like inside the .ini file if you have it set correctly:

; LOOK HERE FOR ENABLE THE CORRECT UNITY VERSION:
;You can know the Unity version by looking the EXE properties. Detail tab.

;This include DHR's Unity 5.5 Universal Fix:
;include = ShaderFixes\Unity55_DHR.ini

;This include DHR's Unity 5.6 Universal Fix:
;include = ShaderFixes\Unity56_DHR.ini

;This include DHR's Unity 2017.X Universal Fix:
include = ShaderFixes\Unity20171_DHR.ini

- end example

What you can see above is that the semicolon is deleted in front of "include = ShaderFixes\Unity20171_DHR.ini."
Deleting that semicolon and saving the modified .ini will enable the correct version of the fix.

The fix corrects the shadows, but doesn't fix some of the reflections. As far as the doubled mouse cursor, etc... you will have to press 'P' to toggle between the preset convergence settings for the fix. One of them enables you to further adjust convergence so that the cursor is no longer doubled, and inventory screens can be managed without issue. See my long post further above for a step-by-step guide to getting it to look as good as possible. Mind you there are still several 3D issues that are broken, but this is as good as it gets until someone with shaderhacking skills takes interest again.
Dark_saiyens
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dark_saiyens »

SnickerSnack1 wrote:
Dark_saiyens wrote:I have tried the fix with DHR Universal Fix.

What you are describing with the shadows indicates that the fix isn't enabled, because shadows are not broken with the correct fix. Try going into the universal fix "d3dx.ini" file and enabling the correct fix version. This is what it looks like inside the .ini file if you have it set correctly:

; LOOK HERE FOR ENABLE THE CORRECT UNITY VERSION:
;You can know the Unity version by looking the EXE properties. Detail tab.

;This include DHR's Unity 5.5 Universal Fix:
;include = ShaderFixes\Unity55_DHR.ini

;This include DHR's Unity 5.6 Universal Fix:
;include = ShaderFixes\Unity56_DHR.ini

;This include DHR's Unity 2017.X Universal Fix:
include = ShaderFixes\Unity20171_DHR.ini

- end example

What you can see above is that the semicolon is deleted in front of "include = ShaderFixes\Unity20171_DHR.ini."
Deleting that semicolon and saving the modified .ini will enable the correct version of the fix.

The fix corrects the shadows, but doesn't fix some of the reflections. As far as the doubled mouse cursor, etc... you will have to press 'P' to toggle between the preset convergence settings for the fix. One of them enables you to further adjust convergence so that the cursor is no longer doubled, and inventory screens can be managed without issue. See my long post further above for a step-by-step guide to getting it to look as good as possible. Mind you there are still several 3D issues that are broken, but this is as good as it gets until someone with shaderhacking skills takes interest again.
Thank you! It works ! Shadows are now corrects and you right it doesn't fix reflections.
Still very hard to manage with double moused cursor, i hav'nt tried to lower convergence because u loose to much 3D effect.
Now the game is playble, but DarkStarSword's fix was way better :(

Thank you anyway ! I had already read your long post ;) Thanks again !
SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

No problem! Glad you got it working.

And yeah, I definitely miss DSS's amazing fix. It's true that you lose a lot of the 3D effect with the low convergence, but I've really gotten used to it and I prefer it this way now. I'm not just saying that because there's no other option. Everything seems bigger and more realistic for the first-person perspective. Reapers look twice as large and scary now!! Try it out - you might get used to it.
bobisz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bobisz »

The universal fix works with ver 2017, but it just doesn't have that wow factor. You really have to flatten the convergence to be playable.

Wish this fix got an update. Anyone willing to take it up?

Would happily donate.
SnickerSnack1
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SnickerSnack1 »

bobisz wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:57 am The universal fix works with ver 2017, but it just doesn't have that wow factor. You really have to flatten the convergence to be playable.

Wish this fix got an update. Anyone willing to take it up?

Would happily donate.
Would be wonderful. I'm guessing there are no takers right now. I was finally able to donate to DSS a while back, but it was well after he moved on.

The one perk to a new fix would be its compatibility with Subnautica: Below Zero. Both games are being kept on the same Unity versions in parallel. The Universal fix seems to behave identically in both games. I'm no expert, but I would imagine that the fix tweaking would be minimal from one game to the other. It would theoretically be a 2 for 1 fix.
cicicleta
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cicicleta »

Dark_saiyens
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dark_saiyens »

cicicleta wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:15 am Here is an update Fix.

https://cicicleta.s3.amazonaws.com/subnautica.zip
Thanks you so much! I would try it !
Do u make it yourself ?

I am waiting for a fix for Below Zero now before playing it :D
AcidBong
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AcidBong »

Just reinstalled this game for a revisit after a few years. The new fix makes it so the mouse cursor is completely invisible. I tried the universal fix, uncommented 2017, and that didn't work well at all. Shadows were all over the place. Subnautica must have been patched more recently. Anyone out there that can take another look at the fix for this game?

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”