NVIDIA 3D vision discontinued

biospud
One Eyed Hopeful

NVIDIA 3D vision discontinued

Post by biospud »

Nvidia is discontinuing 3D vision support. At least on consumer boards.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers ... /a_id/4781
Following the posting of the final driver from Release 418 in April 2019, GeForce Game Ready Drivers will no longer support NVIDIA 3D Vision. The NVIDIA support team will continue to address critical driver issues for 3D Vision in Release 418 through April, 2020. Those looking to utilize 3D Vision can remain on a Release 418 driver.

Our software that enables the use of 3D gaming with 3D TVs, 3DTV Play, is now included for free in Release 418. It is no longer available as a standalone download. Our 3D Vision Video Player will continue to be offered as a standalone download, for free, until the end of 2019.
I have a bunch of VR headsets, but in my opinion VR does not replace simple stereoscopic 3D gaming with glasses. Can anyone offer advice about what hardware I should get so I can keep programming for stereoscopic 3D into the future? Can I expect that Quadro boards will continue to support 3D Vision glasses indefinitely?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: NVIDIA 3D vision discontinued

Post by cybereality »

Wow! I was not expecting that. Really sad.

I did notice that 3D Vision wasn't listed when I updated my laptop yesterday, but I figured it was because it was a laptop driver.

I mean, the writing was on the wall but I was hoping support would continue.

Guess it's back to the old CRT shutter glasses days of having to build a separate computer with old drivers/OS to get it to work.
ToThePoint
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ToThePoint »

cybereality, Neil, hi to you both.

I've taken the opportunity to sign up, as a soon-to-be 3D Vision refugee, given the official announcement by NVidia to end its support for this technology. I'd like to think that I'm in advance of numerous other stereoscopic 3D enthusiasts that may well over time, have to abandon NVidia's 3D Vision forum, before it finally abandons us. I'm hoping that others may well come to sites like this one, to at least have a place to discuss 3D Vision related topics, and possibly discuss what possible alternatives could possibly replace it in the near future. At this stage it's only a tentative expectation in that regard, but the fact of the matter is, is if sub-forums like this no longer existed, the stereoscopic 3D gaming community would've simply had to have made one up.

Neil, on a side note, way back at least a dozen years ago now, you kindly offered me your website's avatar which I've proudly displayed on NVidia's Geforce forums ever since. I can only hope that I've done your site's avatar justice, but I think it's probably best that I let others be the judge of that. ;)

Incidentally, thank you both for being such stalwarts over the years regarding 3D Vision and Virtual Reality technology, seeing as Oculus got it's start on this very site. As time goes on, I hope to get the opportunity to post here a little more often than before, to discuss with other fellow enthusiasts how stereoscopic 3D PC gaming can not only be saved but can go on to even bigger and better things in the future. :)
schenntech
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by schenntech »

Hi

Its so sad that Nvidia has stopped vision 3D pro, it is not available in market anymore
i found an alternative to the Nvidia, its called 3D Pluraview from Schneider-Digital, i have the monitor and it is amazing
unlike Nvidia its not based on shutter technology it is passive 3D so safe for eyes and very longer use.

They have three sizes 22", 27" and 28" (resolution full HD, 2K & 4K per eye)

Check out their website https://www.3d-pluraview.com/en/

it is also available through www.schnelltechglobal.com
mail: info@schnelltechglobal.com

is there any quality 3D alternative to Nvidia Vision 3D pro i missed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant S
Cross Eyed!

Post by Grant S »

I'm not a programmer, but I have most of those pre 3D vision NV consumer 3D drivers with their driver matches. From 78.01 to the last one before 3D vision. I'm using a mismatch on an old legacy gaming machine. 162.50 quadro 3D driver with 163.75 consumer driver. with a AGP 7950gt. If anyone needs them, feel free to PM me
mhalsan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mhalsan »

Has there been any news about possibly releasing 3DVision as an open-source project? Surely there is still a market for side-by-side 3D.

With the demise of TriDef and the discontinuation of 3DVision we've been left out in the cold. VorpX could easily handle this, but the developer is obstinately unwilling to even discuss the matter. (I wasted $40 so you don't have to!)

Is it possible that future games could natively generate 3D?
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

mhalsan wrote:Has there been any news about possibly releasing 3DVision as an open-source project? Surely there is still a market for side-by-side 3D.

With the demise of TriDef and the discontinuation of 3DVision we've been left out in the cold. VorpX could easily handle this, but the developer is obstinately unwilling to even discuss the matter. (I wasted $40 so you don't have to!)

Is it possible that future games could natively generate 3D?
We contacted NVidia about this multiple times, including in private, and the answer was no. Even offering our extensive engineering service for free. Essentially the 3D Vision driver is too much of a mess to extricate from the regular driver and still function.

Hell of shame that not iz3d, tridef, nor nvidia could see their way to open sourcing their code.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

I believe it was a financially motivated decision than anything else.

1. They don't want to lose the proprietary IP in case they can make use of it in some way in the future.

2. They don't want to reveal how they do things in a proprietary way, in case others copy their methods and put out competing products; e.g. AMD or another tridef/vorpx.

Decisions in these kind of companies are not made by engineers and developers; - they are made by businessmen and MBAs with the goal of profit.
Last edited by RAGEdemon on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

*Welcome to everyone migrating from the nVidia 3DVision forums*

Link to original NVidia thread:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... uncement-/
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
ToThePoint
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ToThePoint »

schenntech wrote:Hi

Its so sad that Nvidia has stopped vision 3D pro, it is not available in market anymore
i found an alternative to the Nvidia, its called 3D Pluraview from Schneider-Digital, i have the monitor and it is amazing
unlike Nvidia its not based on shutter technology it is passive 3D so safe for eyes and very longer use.

it is also available through http://www.schnelltechglobal.com

I checked up a few months back as to what other 3D tech was currently available in the marketplace after NVidia's official cancellation of its support for 3D Vision, and Pluraview was also one of those alternatives that I looked into. It's really nice to hear that it's actually working out well for you.

As far as other alternatives to 3D Vision Pro are concerned, you may perhaps be familiar with Dimenco. They demonstrated a prototype 4K 3D monitor a few years back, but I heard no more about it since then. Nowadays I'm more interested in glasses-free stereoscopic tech, and it appears Dimenco are at it again with glasses-free Simulated Reality. A few months after registering for a dev kit, I finally got the chance to order one, until I saw the price that is. It's somewhere in the region of 19-21k depending upon your currency of choice, be it Sterling, USD or Euro. But here's what you'd get for your money, if it could be afforded:-

Dimenco clear view lenticular lens - 32” 8K 3D panel
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti
Intel i7 8700 (6-cores @ 3.2-4.2 Ghz)
2x Eye tracking sensor
Hand tracking sensor
Spatial sound 12 speaker array + LFE
4-CH Microphone array
1Gb ethernet + WIFI
4 x 3.0 USB

It's also optimised for both the Unreal and Unity engines.

Apparently it's a completely glasses-free experience for the user, who simultaneously perceives stereoscopic depth within the screen along with 3D objects that pop out beyond the screen itself that can be touched and interacted with in a simulated way. I believe that it also allows the user to peer round in all directions when looking into the screen as well. It's hard to guess as to whether or not this technology really has more practical potential as opposed to gaming potential, but either way Dimenco is looking to release a consumer version sometime next year assuming all goes well. It's safe to say that only legit developers can even afford to purchase the dev kit right now, so I can only hope that the any consumer version is a heck of a lot cheaper whenever it's released. Here's a couple of links about it if you're at all interested.

https://www.dimenco.eu/

Dimenco's CEO is interviewed here:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g09sSLJAM40
Intel Core i7 6850k @ 3.6 Ghz (Liquid Cooled: Corsair Hydro H115i), 2x GTX 1080 Ti, HB SLI @ x16x16 (Air Cooled), GTX 1060 Dedicated PhysX, 32Gb RAM Kingston Predator
Asus X-99 Deluxe II Motherboard, Corsair Obsidian 1000D Super Tower, Win7 Pro (442.19), Win8.1 (441.66), Ubuntu, Rog Swift PG27VQ 3D (1440p), HTC Vive
kamikazeedriver
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kamikazeedriver »

I was highly disappointed when they announced they discontinued this. I never had an official 3D vision device, but I did manage to get 3DTV I used for a monitor to act like one editing EDID some years ago.
The past 3 years, I've used a BenQ projector for 3D, and purchased 3DTVPlay since, after much work and many attempts, I could not trick my system into believing it was 3D Vision. It was ok though, 720p@60 was still playable. I'm not a competitive gamer and besides, it was worth it to add that extra dimension.
I got to say I'm just really irked by this. Especially on the 3DTV play side of things, it was $40. And it remained separate until about 2 months before they decided to discontinue 3D everything.
They integrated 3DTV play into the standard drivers and basically "free for everyone now." Then like 2 months later, the discontinued all support of 3D on Nvidia.

I do have VR, but more than one person can enjoy 3D.
Also, I use powerDVD to play my 3D blurays, but not anymore because they discontinued it.

The only fix I have for this is installing old drivers. Then I get nagged about having old drivers, and also lose some of the optimizations and benefits the newer drivers bring for new games.
To the least, I'd like to have my ability to play my 3D blurays again, in true stereoscopic, not some SBS bull crap.

Afte rlooking around a bit, it seems some of yall are still able to make use of 3D with new drivers, but I couldn't seem to locate a simple, how to post. Like "do this, then do this." Can someone direct me?
Also, when did these tools come out. Can someone tell me a timeline of basically what happened. The 3D Vision program discontinued, and someone came out with this etc? I been out of the loop a bit.

Thanks
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

In April, Nvidia driver 430.39 was released to end 3D Vision support by adding "Windows 10 1903 (May 2019 update) support". They stated they'd support the driver for a year, but it doesn't look like that's happening. So the Losti method and 3D Fix Manager became two methods of inserting the missing 3D Vision driver back into any 430.39+ driver. The former is a manual method and the latter is an automatic method that I use. You can use driver 425.31 with any Windows 10 version, or a 430.39+ driver if the Win 10 version is at most 1803. People have been setting up dual boots to be able to enjoy 3D on one OS and regular gaming/work on the other. Be sure to look up how to block driver updates, or else using DDU/uninstalling the driver will cause Windows 10 to auto-update to an old driver upon restart.

TL;DR: use driver 425.31 on Windows 10 1903 or any driver on older OS versions.
Win 10 v1909 / 1x Nvidia 980Ti GPU (v452.22, 1080p)
Feisty_Fernando
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Feisty_Fernando »

schenntech wrote:Hi

it is also available through http://www.schnelltechglobal.com

It's a planar stereo mirror display, with the passive glasses it's less taxing on your eyes. It's just 2 lcd's and a half-silvered mirror for any DIY'ers out there. Not difficult to build yourself.
Porlonus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Porlonus »

Yeah, clear. Why did I have to take a look into (the update in) this thread, while taking a look into http://www.sview.ru/en/help/drivers/ (if you didn't know - tridef also discontinued)

#waytoodepressing - rather up to still working games @3D.
GPLavoie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GPLavoie »

The 3D pluraview monitor looks like a great alternative to 3D Vision. I am a photo interpreter in Ontario Canada, and I also teach photogrammetry at a college in Sault Ste. Marie. I am curious if there is an educational discount on this equipment. We have 20 "3D Vision" systems in a GIS lab, and will need to keep up with the loss of drivers. The pluraview seems to be the best option currently, its just the price that is a limiter.
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

GPLavoie - have you considered using/migrating to VR HMDs? Have any/many photogrammetric apps moved to VR? VR hardware is going to be cheaper, with technology investment still quite active in this “3D” immersive environment (versus other 3D technologies).
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
GPLavoie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GPLavoie »

whyme466 - VR is not something I am interested in strapping to my head. GIS is a 40+ hr/wk gig. I have a hard time with the shutter-glasses. I could not imagine that amount of time committed to VR.

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”