Is the magnetic calibration of Oculus taken into account?

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
Elwood
One Eyed Hopeful

Is the magnetic calibration of Oculus taken into account?

Post by Elwood »

Hello!

I'm using the stm32f3 board with the Foculus software for tracking. The Oculus SDK is 0.3.2 (last one working with the Foculus) and an older version of Freepie that can read the 0.3.2 SDK output.

When using Freepie to translate the input to Freetrack or TrackIR there is huge yaw drift. Specifically, it pretty much does not drift when the board is immobile, but when it's turned to the side (say, 90°) and then back to starting position (aligned against an object to make sure) the reading can be off by as much as 5 degrees.

When using native Oculus games and demos the drift is minimal.

So I'm wondering how Freepie is processing the input, and if magnetometer calibration (that you can do in the SDK) is part of the equation, or does it only read raw rotations exposed by the board.

Perhaps something has changed with latest freepie versions? Can't really check cause they don't work with the old SDK, but it's interesting anyway ;)
Elwood
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Is the magnetic calibration of Oculus taken into account

Post by Elwood »

I knew you did not know the answer. I just knew it. Posted the above question just to make sure you didn't, you know. Or rather that you don't. Know.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Is the magnetic calibration of Oculus taken into account

Post by CyberVillain »

Calibration has been handled by the OVR SDK internally at least since the first version we included in FreePIE. They did have something called sensor prediction a while that you could tinker with., But that too was removed and calibrated internally.

So teh answer is that FreePIE does nothing in the term of processing the signal

https://github.com/AndersMalmgren/FreeP ... reepie.cpp

Return to “FreePIE”