Emulate Oculus Rift Input in order to play the games?

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
a-k-m
One Eyed Hopeful

Emulate Oculus Rift Input in order to play the games?

Post by a-k-m »

Hello,

Oculus Rift has some interesting demos and games.
I just bought me the google cardboard and played around with its apps. Then I started playing around with Trinus Gyre, Freepie, Tridef, vireio and kainy.

Everything works fine, except I can't get most games to run with side-by-side 3d, just Trinus fake3d.

Recently, I just downloaded plenty of Oculus Rift Demos which seem to run in unity Game Engine.
In some of them, I get the error message, that the Oculus Rift should be connected and I'm not able to do anything.
In others head-tracking doesn't work neither, but I can move around.

Unfortunately, I don't have much clue about this technical subject.

Is it possible to emulate the Oculus Rift input in order to "tell" the game that it is connected?

It could probably work with Freepie, while freepie is sending the coordinates from the smartphone as a "oculus rift device".

Or is it just not possible?

I hope you guys could help me out on this. I tried to search for some threads of the same kind, but it's all too technical, I don't have the necessary know-how.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kind Regards
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Emulate Oculus Rift Input in order to play the games?

Post by CyberVillain »

Only way to support all oculus enabled games would be to spoof the HID device and emulate the data so that the oculus runtime is fooled. You also need to spoof the EDID id etc. I have looked if there is any good fake HID drivers around but i havent found any useful info.

vjoy could probably be rewritten to support any generic HID device (Today it only support joysticks).
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

That would be the most elegant way, but it could also be possible to hack the Oculus Runtime directly to accomplish what he wants. Encryption/obfuscation and even legal issues could complicate things though. But it would be fun and I'm sure someone will do it sooner or later.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

True, since the runtime was introduced that is also a entry point for faking it. I wonder how the lib part communicate with the runtime part, shared memory? If I had more time I would check that up, hint, hint :P
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I agree, if the information exchange can be intercepted, an elegant way would be to simply spoof/replay that data with a custom app.
However, with a new DLL based Oculus architecture coming, its probably not worthwhile doing that with the current version. The new DLL based architecture might be easier to hack as well by using a passthrough DLL to spoof the Oculus DLL.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Nice, I haven't been that active lately so missed that. Its very easy to create a spoof dll, we do that for Sixense and others
konstantin_lozev
Cross Eyed!

Post by konstantin_lozev »

Hm, interesting topic. I would love to see such support. BTW, what is the streaming app that you have had least lag and best video quality with?
Elwood
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Elwood »

Right now the only way to trick SOME OLDER Oculus games and demos into thinking that there is a HMD attached is to make a physical EDID spoofer and flash the stm32f3 board with software from Yetifrisslama: http://yetifrisstlama.blogspot.com/2014 ... verse.html

However it is pretty much useless since it only works up to Oculus SDK 0.3.2. Anything past that won't work. So only really old stuff works. No new game will work.

You even need an old Freepie version to access the data from the tracker. Then you can translate it to Freetrack or anything else. But it's far from perfect - I think that it does not take into account the magnetic calibration performed by the SDK, so it drifts a lot. In native Oculus demos (up to SDK 0.3.2) there is very little drift.

And by the way, Limelight (well now it's called Moonlight) is by far the best streaming software if you own a supported Nvidia card.

Return to “FreePIE”