Back to the Rift

Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Back to the Rift

Post by Attreyu »

Let's get back to classical gaming issues and discussions :)

How do you guys preffer the gaming - decoupled or fixed ? With your head decoupled from the torso/body movement ? Or always moving towards where the eyes are looking ?

If your head is not decoupled, how do you play a FPS when and where you want to turn around a corner for example ?

Let's say you want to go around a house or a large object. You turn right (you turn your head to the right), move forward using W or whatever, and then you need to turn another time to the right.

Being in a chair you can only turn your head so far, when you reach your limit what do you do ? press whatever you have assigned for turning left or move the mouse to the left ? That's like someone is forcing your head to snap back into forward facing position.

And even so, pressing forward would mean you are back to the original heading and can only go in awkard directions, not the ones intended.

Decoupling the head from the torso is essential imho.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Back to the Rift

Post by GeraldT »

Attreyu wrote:Let's get back to classical gaming issues and discussions :)
recently too little news to keep a discussion going, but this is interesting

So I use it to shamelessly showcase a bit of VRadventure to show my approach to your questions :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgLPGC9vIyc

How do you guys preffer the gaming - decoupled or fixed ? With your head decoupled from the torso/body movement ? Or always moving towards where the eyes are looking ?

decoupled - I move decoupled in real life and I like the idea of moving where I am facing with my body, while looking where I want. for seated VR this is the easiest approach, similar to sitting in a car (just with added abilities like strafing).

Being in a chair you can only turn your head so far, when you reach your limit what do you do ? press whatever you have assigned for turning left or move the mouse to the left ? That's like someone is forcing your head to snap back into forward facing position.

when you are in a gameworld that offers a lot to see when looking up you learn very fast that it has consequences - looking straight up while sitting in a chair is not very ergonomic (I got a nerve stuck in my shoulder removing me from VR development for almost 3 days ...). So I use something similar to the laser turrets on the millenium falcon. You get to look up with the mouse, but not all the way. It is like being on a platform that rotates just in a limited area up and down. I call it assisted looking - because it does not lead to you stopping to use your head, but it removes the uncomfortable extreme angles. Feels quite natural.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here

Return to “Oculus VR”