Sony presenting a headset at CES 2014?

colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Sony presenting a headset at CES 2014?

Post by colocolo »

hopefully they'll have sth to show this time.
Last time i watched their super important press conference with a new product to announce they showed this silly gameboy.
here a link to the livestream
http://wccftech.com/watch-sony-ces-2014 ... note-live/
tomorrow 5pm PST
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Sony presenting a headset at CES 2014?

Post by zalo »

Looks like it's an HMZ with tracking.

Weird about the hints of game developers working with a Sony VR headset...
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

It was a bust.
Leahy
Cross Eyed!

Post by Leahy »

I'd still like to know what sort of FOV it has not this '700 inch' garbage
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Leahy wrote:I'd still like to know what sort of FOV it has not this '700 inch' garbage
Since this '750 inch garbage' is the same spec as Hmz t1/2 has its 45° according to PL.
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

Leahy wrote:I'd still like to know what sort of FOV it has not this '700 inch' garbage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOHXSmYgDsc
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

Ever gone to a game tournament loaded for bear, worried that you're going to face stiffest of competition, only to find out your biggest challenger is a 10 year old who mixed pokemon cards into his deck for fun? You've got to apologize constantly to him AND his mother for obliterating him before he even got out of the gate because you couldn't dial it down by that point.

Sony's years of experience seems to be working against them if they think going back to the same old glasses with new improved high latency motion tracking, and have it sell after what Oculus has done for half the price.
drifter
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by drifter »

Ok, still not this year that i will buy a console.
Glorious PC master race for the year one. 8-)
Kazioo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kazioo »

Sony's employee on Neogaf:
If it were true, we wouldn't tell all studios anyway. Just the best studios would know ;)
Notice that this was his reaction for the first post that tried to debunk the rumors with quotes from a non-Sony dev, who claimed there wasn't a VR prototype for PS4.

Reports about bulky headset with ping-pong balls (like in PS Move) working with PS Camera also do not match what Sony showed at CES (the slick HMZ with simple gyro).
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Kazioo wrote:Reports about bulky headset with ping-pong balls (like in PS Move) working with PS Camera also do not match what Sony showed at CES (the slick HMZ with simple gyro).
You mean this ? :

From : http://www.roadtovr.com/datura-virtual- ... mz-t1-hmd/
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Sony really dropped the ball there ... it's like they always were cooking VR on a low flame and now suddenly reporters come and want to eat and they totally forgot to up the fire and it's all cold news.
My gut says that Sony is actually not really jumping on the VR train but carefully keeping open all the options. Maybe do a "low effort" HMZ type VR first and see how the Oculus does to then copy it if there is success.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Problem is if they want to compete with the Rift, they can't use their OLED microdisplays from the HMZ-T1/2/3 because they wouldn't be able to get a wide FOV (> 80°). Also they would need OLED or LCD panels with very low switching times to get low-persistence and low latency, and I don't think they have anything like that available.

They transferred their Sony Mobile Display subsidiary to Japan Display Inc. in 2012 and for now the last news from them seems to be a prototype full HD 5.2" OLED panel presented in April 2013. A bit late compared to the full HD 4.99" OLED panel from Samsung available on the mass-market since March 2013.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Fredz wrote:Problem is if they want to compete with the Rift, they can't use their OLED microdisplays from the HMZ-T1/2/3 because they wouldn't be able to get a wide FOV (> 80°). Also they would need OLED or LCD panels with very low switching times to get low-persistence, and I don't think they have anything like that available.

They transferred their Sony Mobile Display subsidiary to Japan Display Inc. in 2012 and for now the last news from them seems to be a prototype full HD 5.2" OLED panel presented in April 2013. A bit late compared to the full HD 4.99" OLED panel from Samsung available on the mass-market since March 2013.

Maybe OculusVR will get their panels from Japan Display. Would explain from where this 7" 1080p CC panel came from. Sony holds 10% on Japan Display.
JotaEme
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JotaEme »

The relevance of the Sony's VR (I mean "VR") is just the shadow of the relevance Oculus Rift is raising. Sony has shown headsets from 2011 but it's now when the press is writting about it, why? Oculus Rift, they are just adding what they see in other products (rotation tracking), but the product is almost the same than the one of 2011 (but even more expensive).
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

colocolo wrote:Maybe OculusVR will get their panels from Japan Display. Would explain from where this 7" 1080p CC panel came from. Sony holds 10% on Japan Display.
The JDI panel was only a prototype, they announce mass production start on their website and the latest news about this panel in May 2013 was that pilot production would only start in the spring of 2014.

Even if Oculus VR could get a prototype, it's not the panel that's been used since it has a RGBW sub-pixel arrangement and several reviewers mentioned a diamond shaped arrangement (aka PenTile matrix) in the Crystal Cove.

Also there hasn't been any mention of the diagonal but it most probably isn't 7" since AFAIK there is no AMOLED panel in full HD with this diagonal. The most probable candidates would be the panels found in the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (5.7" Full HD Super AMOLED 1920×1080 with PenTile matrix) or the one from the Samsung Galaxy S4, but I doubt it for the latter since the diagonal is a bit short (5").

But I'd pretty much like to see the JDI technology used in the consumer Rift, but with a bigger panel because 5.2" looks a bit short as well. I suppose their RGBW sub-pixel arrangement will offer a better perceived resolution compared to PenTile and more brightness (this was a nitpick for the Crystal Cove from some reviewers).
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

JotaEme wrote:Sony has shown headsets from 2011 but it's now when the press is writting about it, why? Oculus Rift
Where were you in 2011 ?

The Sony HMZ-T1 already had good press cover when it was released and generated a good amount of momentum here as well. It was also featured at CES 2012 and got reviews from most major tech-oriented websites.

It simply didn't and still doesn't get comparable press to the Oculus Rift because it had numerous problems that still haven't been solved yet as you said.
Kazioo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kazioo »

From Steam Dev Days:

http://thesonicreblog.com/valve-vr-and-oculus/
Incidentally, I spoke with a dev from a major gaming company the other day and got him to spill the beans on the PlayStation vr headset. Lots of pleasing info. Vr, at this point, is more about these companies thinking forward and long-term about the medium as a whole. This stuff is in good hands.
http://thesonicreblog.com/yes-playstation-vr-not-hmz/
The devs I spoke to talked about the actual PlayStation vr headset. They described super stardust vr to me and explicitly talked about how it was different than the hmz line. Sony has been working on vr for ages, longer than people realize. They’re pretty thrilled to see vr taking off just as their tech is maturing and are interested in the long-term future of the medium, but just their own headset

Playstation VR is NOT the HMZ.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

but why would they not demo their actual VR then?

I was expecting something more riftlike from Sony. They do have pretty much all the tech they need and there was little point in letting the press try a clearly inferior device
Kazioo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kazioo »

GeraldT wrote:but why would they not demo their actual VR then?
Because Playstation conference or E3 is a 1000x better place to announce a gaming revolution for Playstation brand.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Kazioo wrote:
GeraldT wrote:but why would they not demo their actual VR then?
Because Playstation conference or E3 is a 1000x better place to announce a gaming revolution for Playstation brand.
Hmmm ... that is a good point. Here in Germany there is not that much CES coverage anyway, so I guess E3 would get much more attention. There is still hope then. :)

Return to “Oculus VR”