Oculus gets a nice dose of funding

MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Oculus gets a nice dose of funding

Post by MSat »

$75 Million to be specific. Congrats, guys! I have little doubt that the consumer version will be amazing.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/12/12/oculu ... y-goggles/
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Oculus gets a nice dose of funding

Post by colocolo »

wow, thats a bunch of money. great ! congratulations Oculus VR.
i hope this money will help them in some way to get their hands onto the desired displays they need so much
for the consumer version.
Or they hire some neuroscienctists and nanotechnologists..... :lol:
MSat

Post by MSat »

A bit more details can be found here: http://www.wired.com/business/2013/12/o ... r-funding/

Keep an eye on wired come monday:

Before the official consumer version becomes available in 2014, though, Oculus still has to iron out a number of kinks, from internal specifications to platform architecture to deciding exactly what features will be included. On Monday, WIRED will publish the first in a series of exclusive features detailing that process.
remosito
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by remosito »

colocolo wrote:wow, thats a bunch of money. great ! congratulations Oculus VR.
i hope this money will help them in some way to get their hands onto the desired displays they need so much
for the consumer version.
Or they hire some neuroscienctists and nanotechnologists..... :lol:
first of all. Congratulations Oculus! Well deserved!
And quite excited the investor used to work in VR Research way back when.

eye tracking seems to be their next big push!

As for display. I am very confident they already have made a deal. Or they wouldn't talk as they do.
There is an off chance their latest PR push is to up the hype level to a degree that increases they have better chances to get one.

But personally I think, they all got it bagged up. Are ready to go full steam CV production setup. And they are just finally really pushing the hype meter to build up for the most successful launch they can achieve....
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

yeah a 1440p display seems in reach now.
Eye tracking and Brigade 3 in 2 years. OMG! Suddenly i could run 4k path tracing on my new R9 280x at 60 FPS. :?: (ok, probably i would need a new Maxwell high end card or a second 280x)
If the good news about VR continue in that matter we'll see very likely 8k display in 3,5 years and 16k in 6 years. And the best, with foveated rendering it shoulden't be such a big deal to keep up with rendering power.
Japan Display showed one year ago a display with 4k density, each pixel gap(horizontal) measuring 40microns(vertical 70microns). Halving the lenghts of the sides one time to 20µm means 32MP, another halving(10µm) 128MPs.
'There's plenty of room at the bottom' , though charge carrier mobility of the material needs to be functional. But continous silicon grain seems to be a good sucessor to LTPS.(3xbetter charge carrier mobility)
Really behind the corner if the synergy between eye tracking and foveated rendering
ignites. :)
'Bagged up' and 'full steam' - sounds like holiday to me.
Last edited by colocolo on Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hannibalj2

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Congrats team Oculus!!

Im sure this is only one step forward and many more to come. Very excited for you guys, best wishes, and go kick butt! ;)
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yes, this is very exciting to be a part of.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Good now we can see consumer version faster
Crossed fingures for consumer version to be 1440P

Regardless, if they can deliver screendoor free image at 1200p with positional tracking and nil motion blur with fast pixel switching times fully supported MassEffect4 or HalfLife3 class game and it will hit the bullseye

Best of Luck!!
Hannibalj2

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Dilip wrote:Good now we can see consumer version faster
Crossed fingures for consumer version to be 1440P

Regardless, if they can deliver screendoor free image at 1200p with positional tracking and nil motion blur with fast pixel switching times fully supported MassEffect4 or HalfLife3 class game and it will hit the bullseye

Best of Luck!!
I fully concur! :)
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Color me skeptical.

I expect a quantum leap improvement in nausea, latency, positional tracking and motion blur ... but resolution will still be a problem. graphics will be sub par compared to what you can see on a monitor.

I'd like to hear about better fov and optics. What about wireless? what about augmented reality?

I think a16z is looking for a patent portfolio for reducing nausea to sell to a console maker. All those phds.. they made a bundle selling Skype to Microsoft, I guess they think they can do it again.

One thing that is curious though is the key tech they supposedly got from valve. Who owns that IP?
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
MSat

Post by MSat »

blazespinnaker wrote:
I think a16z is looking for a patent portfolio for reducing nausea to sell to a console maker. All those phds.. they made a bundle selling Skype to Microsoft, I guess they think they can do it again.

One thing that is curious though is the key tech they supposedly got from valve. Who owns that IP?
Who cares?

As for features, you'll hear about some of them tomorrow.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Yawn. old news. info has already been released. Can't be wireless if they want to keep their super low latency.

Pmarca has already said we are not there yet on resolution.

I am sure it'll be better, but not competitive with current monitors.

No one has talked about AR. higher fov will mean worse resolution, so I dont expect dramatic improvements.

This is all hype to market a 75$m investment.

For those of us who invest and follow IP, patent rights are interesting.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

here the announced article http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/12/oculus-rift/

In the meantime, there are always more milliseconds to lose. “We’re shooting for zero,” Mitchell says. “We’re super-close.”

Now correct me if i am wrong, but how on earth can they for go for 0 latency without using eye-tracking?
Unless they are tinkering with eye-tracking.....OMG...OMG.....Salvation is near! :lol:
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

I wonder if pmarca and cdixon know that nausea is only about 25% caused by the hardware/latency and 75% caused by the game you're playing and how it messes with your camera.

These are all nice improvements from a hardware point of view, but they're going to have to release the software side as well if they want to assure their users of no nausea.

Wired article was lame. Didn't mention even mention positional tracking.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Nothing new at all in the article, but a very good summary of the latest news though.
Also find it strange that they did not have anything about the positional tracking, BUT they stated this was just the first in a series of articles, so maybe more news are on its way : )

Return to “Oculus VR”