My Vireio experiences with various dx9 software

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
molton
One Eyed Hopeful

My Vireio experiences with various dx9 software

Post by molton »

Hello, I thought I would share my limited expirience with the Vireio perception drivers. I could not get them to work for any games so I copied over the d3d9.dll file in my windows/system32 folder and ran vireio perception again and DX9 games were working in stereo. This gets vireo working but breaks various other DX9 software so if you do this, backup your original d3d9.dll file.

I tested Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Changing options in the menu while in vireio 3d mode causes deus ex to crash, make changes with DX11 enabled to disable vireio temporarily works well. I set the ingame resolution to 1600x1200, the FOV to 100, and the Vireo settings to DIY Rift and Rift Head tracking. There's a black band in the right eye image, but overall the game works ok. One issue that makes the game much less playable is when looking through the iron sights, if you close your left eye the bullets shoot to the right of your aim and if you close your right eye the bullets go to the right of your aim. you have to use the reticle (which wasnt showing up) or gun laser pointers, or just try to use the severly off sights on the gun.

Half-Life: Black mesa remake runs ok set in vireio as side by side mode, DIY rift and the rift settings cause the eyes to look in different dirrections which is very weird and extremely disorienting.

FarCry works well in DIY Rift mode for me.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl, complete mod version ran, but the 2 eyes weren't lined up correctly, the flashlight only showed in the left eye, and weird errors would jump from eye to eye.

Anytime I tried "Oculus Rift cropped" the game would freeze

I'm using AMD quad core processor, AMD graphics, Windows 7. Thanks so much for making the vireio drivers!! Deffinetly getting there...
Being a Bird - an Oculus Rift VR experience homepage
[url]http://lightput.com/being_a_bird.html[/url]
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: My Vireio experiences with various dx9 software

Post by Neil »

Hi Molton,

First, it's important to make submissions like this to GameGradeVR so we can more easily diagnose the issues and solve the problems.

Vireio Perception is DX9 only. If you are copying *.DLL files to the game's EXE directory, you still have to have Perception.EXE running, or it still won't work properly (even if the driver looks like it is injecting).

Always run in the Rift's native resolution (1280X800X60Hz) on both the Rift and the display - and be sure you are in clone mode (or the equivalent). Do not run in extended mode or use the two screens to make the desktop space bigger.

Thanks for your input! It's very much valued.

Regards,
Neil
molton
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: My Vireio experiences with various dx9 software

Post by molton »

I tried copying the dll's and files to the exe directories of the games, running perception from there and from the OG directory (and leaving it up while the game ran) and I did not get any results until I copied over the windows/system32/d3d9.dll file, but my system deffinetly is not typical, just wanted to let you know.
Being a Bird - an Oculus Rift VR experience homepage
[url]http://lightput.com/being_a_bird.html[/url]

Return to “Development / General Discussion”