Vireio/Skyrm UI question

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
davidmi58
One Eyed Hopeful

Vireio/Skyrm UI question

Post by davidmi58 »

I really appreciate all the hard work that went in the 2.0 edition. Great job!
Trying out 2.0 with Skyrim and wondered if there is any way to move the UI components in the game. I know you can adjust their size and depth but I need to figure out a way to move it.
For example, when I want to have a conversation with an NPC, the UI shows the conversation dialog box toward the left side of the screen. On my Rift, due the the reduced resolution toward the edges of the screen, I cannot read the selections no matter how large I make them. Same problem with Tridef. In Vorpx, I can use the edge peek method to move that part of the screen more toward the center so I can read it.
Is anyone else having this issue? (Maybe my eyes not working right.) Is there some other method I can try with Vireio to solve this problem?
Thanks for any help.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Vireio/Skyrm UI question

Post by Neil »

Check out the updated FAQ.

I don't know if this is directly related to your concern, but I forgot to add a Skyrim tweak to the FAQ. There is a minor error that we didn't have enough time adjust before release. In the Vireio menu, go to GUI Calibration, then select GUI 3D Depth. From here, set it to -0.020. The GUI elements are slight separated between the left and right view, and it can make some interactions uncomfortable - especially up close.

Also, make sure your FOV is 90 or higher ("FOV 90" from the Skyrim console ~). This may also impact the readability of your UI.

Regards,
Neil
davidmi58
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by davidmi58 »

Neil wrote:Check out the updated FAQ.

I don't know if this is directly related to your concern, but I forgot to add a Skyrim tweak to the FAQ. There is a minor error that we didn't have enough time adjust before release. In the Vireio menu, go to GUI Calibration, then select GUI 3D Depth. From here, set it to -0.020. The GUI elements are slight separated between the left and right view, and it can make some interactions uncomfortable - especially up close.

Also, make sure your FOV is 90 or higher ("FOV 90" from the Skyrim console ~). This may also impact the readability of your UI.

Regards,
Neil
Thanks Neil. I will try that right away.
I went back to completely vanilla Skyrim so I can test the driver and be sure it is not a mod that is wonky. (Not that there will not still be something wonky with my system.)
I also noticed that there is something really weird going on with some of the interior shadows in the game. Some of them look good. Others do strange things like only show up in one eye or make one eye dim. I have already changed the deferred shadows setting to 0. Should I just turn the shadows off for now or is there something else I can do?
Also, made some direct frame rate comparisons between Vireio 2.0, Vorpx, and DDD. Inside, Vireio is faster than all of them. Outdoors, it is not as fast as Vorpx. Probably because the shadows are slowing it down. Might try to turn them off and compare.
Again, thanks to you and the team for all your hard work. That this free solution is performing at this high level shows the care and love you all put into it.
Bravo.
Neil

Post by Neil »

davidmi58 wrote:Thanks Neil. I will try that right away.
I went back to completely vanilla Skyrim so I can test the driver and be sure it is not a mod that is wonky. (Not that there will not still be something wonky with my system.)
I also noticed that there is something really weird going on with some of the interior shadows in the game. Some of them look good. Others do strange things like only show up in one eye or make one eye dim. I have already changed the deferred shadows setting to 0. Should I just turn the shadows off for now or is there something else I can do?
Also, made some direct frame rate comparisons between Vireio 2.0, Vorpx, and DDD. Inside, Vireio is faster than all of them. Outdoors, it is not as fast as Vorpx. Probably because the shadows are slowing it down. Might try to turn them off and compare.
Again, thanks to you and the team for all your hard work. That this free solution is performing at this high level shows the care and love you all put into it.
Bravo.

That's amazing! We didn't think to run performance comparisons at all. There were some missed shaders, so we are looking to fix those pesky shadows. Getting there!

Regards,
Neil
davidmi58
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by davidmi58 »

Neil wrote:
davidmi58 wrote:Thanks Neil. I will try that right away.
Bravo.

That's amazing! We didn't think to run performance comparisons at all. There were some missed shaders, so we are looking to fix those pesky shadows. Getting there!

Regards,
Neil
With the importance of keeping framerates as close to 60 fps as possible in the Rift to minimize discomfort and lag, performance is critical to me. So far, at least in Skyrim, Vireio 2.0 is a strong performer on my system. (Intel I920@4ghz/AMD 7970) If I could get the shadow issues straightened out and figure out how to read the gui dialog choices, this would be a no brainer. With the focus on community support, the force is strong with this one!
Neil

Post by Neil »

I'm almost certain the fog issue is fixed. Shadows are next.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “Development / General Discussion”