How to make players sick in your virtual reality game

kevinw729
One Eyed Hopeful

How to make players sick in your virtual reality game

Post by kevinw729 »

There is a great, undiscovered potential in virtual reality development. Sure, you can create lifelike virtual worlds, but you can also make players sick. Oculus VR founder Palmer Luckey and VP of product Nate Mitchell hosted a panel at GDC Europe last week, instructing developers on how to avoid the VR development pitfalls that make players uncomfortable. It was a lovely service for VR developers, but we saw a much greater opportunity. Inadvertently, the panel explained how to make players as queasy and uncomfortable as possible.

Read the full coverage here:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/30/how-t ... lity-game/
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Re: How to make players sick in your virtual reality game

Post by blazespinnaker »

Hmm, I think a better title might be how to nauseate your blog readers. Yeeesh... Did he really need to do that?
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

This article was ill-advised.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I accidentally stumbled upon the most nauseating thing I have experienced in the Rift. While fooling around with the Tuscany source code I reversed roll and pitch so that rolling left actually rolled right, looking up actually looked down, etc...

Instant nausea!! You instinctively try to correct all the angles with the opposite motions which just makes everything worse. Try at your own peril ... and bring a barf-bag. :lol:
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

The Salome demo absolutely turns my belly inside-out after a very few minutes. Running at a relatively slow pace and with a certain spin is... interesting for sure.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

I finally got hit by nausea I couldn't (literally) stomach. I was on a theme park ride in Secondlife, but unfortunately the scripter wrote it such that the positional changes of the ride had a large gap between movements (it wasn't using physics, just basic set rot and pos on a timer). I probably could have hacked it if the delta were smaller, but as it was I had to close my eyes after a minute until it was done.

Other than that, SL has been amazingly smooth with the Rift. All these fears and what not about SL being laggy are completely overblown. I have a $600 computer I just bought and it's handling it all like a champ.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!

Return to “Oculus VR”