Skyrim - Huge Whiteouts & Artefact/Flickering

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Commissar64
One Eyed Hopeful

Skyrim - Huge Whiteouts & Artefact/Flickering

Post by Commissar64 »

Hi all,
When I attempt to run Vireio with Skyrim I experience the following:
[*]The Bethesda logo loads perfectly (this is also true of all 2D objects, that are loading correctly).
[*]All 3D objects either do not load at all, load as horrific white artifacts, or load as massive greyscale flickering.
[*]Running the game means everything is jet-white and no graphical images load. The sound and everything else appears to be running fine.
(Please scroll below to see screenshots).

Some further facts:
[*]When not running Vireio the game runs flawlessly.
[*]I have edited the Skyrim .ini file as requested to adjust for shadows and have set the file to 'read-only' to prevent Steam resetting the values. I am running the game at the lowest specs to make sure no other graphical modifiers are effecting it. I am running the game in 1200 x 800.
[*]I am running on: Windows XP (BootCamp), nVIDIA GT 130, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, (2009 model) iMac. My Oculus Rift is cloning the monitor's images.
[*]Portal 2, Dear Esther, & other Vireio contemptible games appear to be running smoothly.
[*]I have tested many different versions of Vireio but always receive the exact same result. I have also tried adding the .dll files to Skyrim's registry.

After some reading on this forum I've become aware their may be an issue with SLI which exists on some nVIDIA cards. From my understanding this means there is an inconsistency as to what device processes the game's frames and that only one singular GPU should be active for Vireio. When I run my nVIDIA control panel I appear to have something called PhysX (please excuse my ignorance here, as I am unsure if this is significantly different to SLI. The PhysX option is placed where I believe SLI settings are normally placed & refers to similar functions, so I'm assuming they are similar?). The setting for PhysX allow you to 'Select a PhysX processor' with the options: Auto-select (recommended), CPU, or Geforce GT 130. I have tested Skyrim with each of these options but receive the same result while running the game. Found some further info on SLI here but none that appears to help: http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/sli/faq#s9

Also within the nVIDIA control panel I have modified within 'Manage 3D Settings' the following: CUDA GPUs - None, Extension Limit - Off, Multi-display/Mixed GPU Acceleration - Single Display Performance. Thread Optimization - Off. All of these seem to increase the likelihood of one singular GPU usage. However none of them effect the running of Skyrim.

Any help/assistance/thoughts/feedback much appreciated!
Last edited by Commissar64 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
Commissar64
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Skyrim - Huge Whiteouts & Artefact/Flickering

Post by Commissar64 »

Unclebob wrote:Hi

I have an XP based machine with a AMD HD6XXX card and the latest drivers.

Without the driver working Skyrim runs fab.

With the vireio driver 1.04 I get a whiteout screen with the game running.

Any pointers?

Cheers
Unclebob wrote:
Hi cuyber thanks for the pointer to 1.01

AMD HD6XXX XP fresh skyrim install which works without driver activated.

1.01 Crash to desktop as soon as game loads
1.02 Game starts Beths logo on green background. No random statue as game loads. Game loads but screen whited out.
1.03 Game starts Beths logo on green background. No random statue as game loads. Game loads but screen whited out.
1.04 Game starts Beths logo on green background. No random statue as game loads. Game loads but screen whited out.

UB
Unclebob wrote:Ok sorted it had a rogue ENB activator program in the background. Once activated all worked OK.

Thanks to alls that helped.

UB
It appears this user back in March is the only other user to have posted about this same issue.

I did at one point run mods with Skyrim. Since getting the OR I have uninstalled and reinstalled it twice, (entirely wiping the files from the Steam folder, and getting Steam to verify the integrity of the cache etc). I have also uninstalled the Nexus Mod Manager and deleted the registry. I don't believe it's possibly any mods could be running. I believe a rogue ENB activator program refers to a Skyrim texture mod? If so I'm unsure that this is what's causing my issues as I don't see how this could be running.
Commissar64
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Skyrim - Huge Whiteouts & Artefact/Flickering

Post by Commissar64 »

I've attached some screen shots below. As you can see, the intial logo runs, then greyscale flickering, then no 3D statue objects load in the menu or loading screen & upon opening the game everything is white & grey.

EDIT: I should add that for some reason when taking screenshots they haven't appeared in the oculus dual image style. I'm not sure if this is indicative of anything in particular but when I am running Skyrim with Vireio ofc there are two dual images side by side!

Hope all of the above isn't information overload but I'm trying to be as concrete as I can.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”