First Person 3D Video : Bridge Rope Jumping

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

First Person 3D Video : Bridge Rope Jumping

Post by yuriythebest »

Please try this on the Oculus!!

Filmed using the Fuji w3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRoHONLQ7fc

Right, So I wanted to film something - not just "3d scenery" but something that'd be exciting in 3D. However, how would one go about doing that? Usually, exciting stuff filmed in 3d implies having 2x Gopro's and a special case for them:

NOT WHAT I USED CAUSE IT"S EXPENSIVE AS **** - although I do hear these are petty good if you can afford them

However, the price for that is ENORMOUS! even the case thingy costs a lot? and for what? the ability to film in 3d - something that I already had, plus the "sports cam" factor - well, I thought, I could go the route of ingenuity and use the Fuji W3 3D instead!

What I used:
1. Fuji W3 3D camera (or any of the other numerous small 3d cameras that the market is overflowing with these days [/sarcasm]
2. A bike helmet : this cost me 20$
3. A standard camera bike mount - took a long time to find since every time you try to search for something like this you get spammed with gopro results

this is the final result:
[stimg url=http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... FujiW3.JPG]http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... FujiW3.JPG[/stimg]
photo taken using my trusty Minoru 3D Webcam

I added some more "ribbons" for additional strength so that the camera definitively doesn't fall of from the helmet, additionally I secured the standard "loop" for the hand (like a round shoelace that you put your hand through that is secured with the camera) that came with the camera with an actual shoelace to the helmet - that way, if the "primary" mount did fail (unlikely), it would still dangle and not fall into my beloved river Dniepr.

What I didn't anticipate though, was the actual tightness of the chin strap - when I jumped, and you probably didn't see it, the helmet sort of went backwards from the drag caused by the camera and I had to re-position it on my head- next time I'll use an extra shoelace in addition to the primary chin strap.

DON"T TRY THIS AT HOME VERY DANGEROUS YOU GET KILLED

this was my 5th rope jump, and in Ukraine these cost 23$ and are within walking distance of my flat, so it's a great deal! These are way scarier than parachute jumping as well, since with parachute jumps the distance to the ground is quite "abstract" and you are too far away to feel "real height" - it's more like going to space or to a skybox - where as here the full gravity of the situation is very clear- you can very well sense the height of the bridge, and that is what makes it exciting.

Although not designed as an "action cam", the Fuji W3 was more than successful in this endeavor, and I home to use it for more exciting stuff in the future
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: First Person 3D Video : Bridge Rope Jumping

Post by Likay »

Great share Yuriy! I'm trying to snag the hd version from yt right now to watch properly. Haven't got a rift though. :(
I agree about the sense of heights. I don't know when it "turns" but 80m is a lot easier to the mind than 40m.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”