V-Rover: TerraForming Simulator ... please Test

mickman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

V-Rover: TerraForming Simulator ... please Test

Post by mickman »

Hi all....

V-ROVER: ( Current Ver:sion - V0.11 )

Synopsis:
Take Control of the " VRover " ( a planetary terraforming rover ) & tunnel down deep in search of precious metals & Alien artefacts..

DOWNLOAD GAME: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0x2vqsvz2bgi705/AnsP9PKQcf Ver. 0.11

UPDATE:
HUD / Radar System / movement controls + x-box control /

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnDdtoQJ ... e=youtu.be[/youtube-hd]

Features:
- Laser Canon " Drill & Fill " drill down anywhere you want... the terrain is dynamic.. ( incorporates a voxel engine )
- 3D Radar - visaulise how deep objects are then track them with sonar.
- Sonar - listen for feint sonar pings... they'll guide you in to the relative position of any foreign objects .
- X-Ray HUD - bring up auxillary HUDs such as the x-ray hud that allows you to make out the outlines of alien artefacts buried below.
- Ai Defence system - Turret Defence
- Mines - strategically lay down mines to deter whatever lurks below.
- Fuel meter, inventory system & Factions .
VRover is currently in Alpha stage of development , so current styles etc.. are not final... any feedback is really appreciated.
It's a great opportunity to get a feel for the game whilst still in alpha stage of development. You can drill down withte laser canon & even right click to build up earth to raise yourself upwards to gain access to awkward areas... or use fill to create land masses such as archways & bridges to cross over into unchartered territory.

note: also available at http://www.riftenabled.com

I'll update the radar system shortly to incorporate energy levels and harvesting data as you go in search of wealthy minerals etc... There will be some surprises awaiting, if you're not properly equipped you may find yourself venturing back up to the surface on foot If you don't get swallowed up by whatever lurks below....

Notes regarding download and GamePlay:

CONTROL KEYS
Left Mouse = Laser Drill ( used to dig down through the planet )
Right button = Replenish Earth ( create bridges & archways )

Q = X-Ray vision ( view beneath the planet's surface to detect objects)
T = Target C = clear
SPACE = Jump
Mouse move = rotate the Rift Rover Base
WASD = forwards / left / right / back
T : Next target
C : Clear target

Tip: use the Pitch indicator to level the Rover if you get stuck.

ToDo List:
The Rover's Cockpit will be updated shortly. The current version is a stand in model with updates to texture maps & general look .

For now its all about getting the game play smooth and the inventory in place. Then comes Ai & pathfinding.

I'd appreciate any feedback during these early stages of development.
If you have any wishes let me know & I'll try to incorporate them.
Last edited by mickman on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:17 am, edited 42 times in total.
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Re: TerraForming in the RIFT ( FREE GAME ) win & mac versi

Post by Lilwolf »

Found it thanks!
Last edited by Lilwolf on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickman

Post by mickman »

Look down on the left side where it SAYS " For those interested in the Oculus Rift. "

On the left side below where it says "Just like A holoGram you will find the links e.g.

For those interested in the Oculus Rift.
FREE RIFT GAME (mac) >
FREE RIFT GAME ( win )

File is a zip file called " UpRockN "
Image Image

Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lilwolf »

Ok, tried the windows version.

Issues (sorry to be negative first)
I wasn't able to move forward (W didn't do anything) but left, right and back does.
Mouse seems to control up/down, not left/right. I'm assuming that wasn't intentional.

Cool parts.
Terraforming was cool
Tearing down holes and making caves was awesome!

But without moving, made me sit in one spot, looking around, and making caves below me until I dropped in.

I did notice that some rocks couldn't be broken up / killed / destroyed. I'm not sure if that was intentional.

Cool and fun
Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lilwolf »

Ok, tried the windows version.

Issues (sorry to be negative first)
I wasn't able to move forward (W didn't do anything) but left, right and back does.
Mouse seems to control up/down, not left/right. I'm assuming that wasn't intentional.

Cool parts.
Terraforming was cool
Tearing down holes and making caves was awesome!

But without moving, made me sit in one spot, looking around, and making caves below me until I dropped in.

I did notice that some rocks couldn't be broken up / killed / destroyed. I'm not sure if that was intentional.

Cool and fun
mickman

Post by mickman »

Thx for the reply.... This is still in Alpha & I have since sorted the controls out..

Tip: You can orient the rover by moving your mouse forward and back & hit SPACE bar to jump upwards... this helps to get out of sticky situations.... I find it easier to navigate when you look down a little bit.. I've also added a pitch indicator to the HUD. If you do get stuck just move the Rover pitch slightly so the front of the Rover is not pushing into the ground.

Once you are underground make sure you give yourself plenty of head room in the tunnels you create. This helps a lot. I will fine tune the game more shorlty... but for now have fun... Drilling into walls etc... Remember right click = Add... so you can create bridges to cross over difficult terrain.

HAVE FUN & please let me know what features you would like to see added to the game.

Biggest TIP : try looking slightly downwards when you navigate around & adjust the Rover's angle of attack with your mouse or x-box controller.
Last edited by mickman on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

mickman

Re: TerraForming in the RIFTRover UPDATED

Post by mickman »

I just updated the Game to ver.00.08

I repaired the navigation... and added a cockpit. still basic layout but all controls operate well.
Last edited by mickman on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Re: TerraForming in a RiftRover win & mac ver. 005

Post by Lilwolf »

Controls are MUCH better! It would be nice if you could increase the angle you can walk up though (I LOVED digging down into the ground, then trying to get back up didn't work well.

Also the sky seemed off. But I didn't notice it when I started. ??

and in a tunnel, under the ground, jump would stick you head through the ceiling for a sec.

Still a great fun time! Thanks
mickman

Re: TerraForming in a RiftRover win & mac ver. 005

Post by mickman »

Thx so much for your feedback this really helps me so much.

yes.. there is a limit as to the slope angle the Rover can climb... this creates some strategy within the game. Perhaps I should increase the slope angle a little more.. yes ?

I placed a collision object slightly above the Rift Rover to avoid users simply jumping up and through the tunnel roof. There's also a collider just in front of the Rover to help prevent the Rover's Laser barrel from penetrating the tunnel wall.

I would like to increase the tunnel texture detail. I notice when I run the game within Unity, the tunnel is a lot more detailed. I am not sure why it is loosing some detail when I finalise and build the game.
Image Image

mickman

Re: RiftRover Game - Voxel based TerraForming - Win & Mac.

Post by mickman »

I am trying to repair the Sky in the scene. Unity uses a "SkyBox " that is attached to the main camera.

The Rift requires two cameras so I added a SkyBox to each camera... this creates the sky but they are slightly overlap creating a slihgtly distorted image...

how can i fix this ? Is it possible to use a Unity SkyBox ?
Image Image

mickman

Re: RiftRover Game - Voxel based TerraForming - Win & Mac.

Post by mickman »

upgraded the textures .... Earlier versions had issues with texture stretching. Now when terraforming the textures look amazing.

I'm also looking into setting up a Blog to support the game but for now... simply visit the link at located in the first message of this thread.

Boh WIn & Mac versions have been upgraded.
Image Image

mattyeatsmatts

Re: RiftRover - A Voxel based TerraForming Game for O.R

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Very cool demo, 1 of the few that actually makes me feel like im not in my room wearing goggles.
Well that happens when i dig myself a narrow tunnel I felt like I was an ant or some sort of burrowing animal this leads me to my gripes and they are:
1. I did not like the buggy It was a bit clunky and wish I was walking around (perhaps like an mole), I really enjoyed digging tunnels and making little rooms.
2. Kept clipping through the walls when I got close to them.
3. lighting and sound could use some polish

Have you any plans to update this demo or you done?
mickman

Post by mickman »

Thanks so much for the feedback.
1. I did not like the buggy It was a bit clunky and wish I was walking around (perhaps like an mole), I really enjoyed digging tunnels and making little rooms.
ANS: Yes the buggy is definitely being upgraded... The current style is only for prototyping. The final design will be high detailed with animated gauges etc.. I am not sure if the rover will be an open cockpit design or have an enclosed cockpit area as I like the idea of the player feeling as though they are wearing a helmet. I am just about to upload a new version with Radar system & x-ray vision.
I am also working on an x-box controller.
The player will also be able to jump out of the Rover and walk around. This will allow the player to view the Rover's exterior and make certain repairs, even allow the player to return to the main base on foot if the Rover becomes stuck, looses power or is simply destroyed by an enemy.
2. Kept clipping through the walls when I got close to them.
this is also fixed in the next update... I simply added a collision object in front of the rover & turned its mesh render off. This stops the rover from pushing through some of the walls.
3. lighting and sound could use some polish
Ans: still in early days... I simply wanted to add some sound effects such as helmet oxygen & base command radio chatter... this will all be toned down with 3D situational audio.

The ability to track mining ore and treasure by listening to sonar signals...
Once the player locates a Core, they can use a HUD x-ray monitor to visualize the actual location underground. This is a really fun way to dig underground. I have this operational now... & it is really great to use... just hit "Q" in the next update.

Features included in next update:
Underground Obstacles: hardened rock, debris etc.. will be impenetrable requiring the player to navigate around such objects whilst mining.

Nav Way Points: follow the radar system to designated way points to pick up valuable assets.

Mining certain minerals will provide the Rover with extra fuel and laser cutting crystal. An inventory system is also currently being worked on. Ai on enemy units will follow.

Set Traps: lure underground enemies into the tunnels you dig.

Inventory System: upgrade your Rover, assign new digging equipment, oxygen cylinders, radar upgrades etc...

Once again.... thanks so much for the feedback I really learn a lot and try to integrate these ideas into the game based around user feedback.
Image Image

geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Re: TerraForming in the RIFTRover UPDATED

Post by geekmaster »

mickman wrote:I just updated the Game to ver.00.05

I repaired the navigation... and added a cockpit. still basic layout but all controls operate well.

Tip: Use the Mouse to rotate the RiftRover.

Link is Here http://www.market3dmedia.com
The Windows download link at that web page is dead (404 error). Only the Mac version can be downloaded. Please provide a correct link to the Windows version. Thanks.

EDIT: My Google-fu and leet haxor skillz created this composite functional download link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/795 ... v0.80_.zip
Notice the funky capitalization in the URL ("... _W
In_ ...")...
mickman

Post by mickman »

You may have hit download while i was updating files.

All good now :D

Note: I've also updated all DOWNLOAD LINKS at the beginning of this thread.
Image Image

mickman

Re: RiftRover - Planetary TerraForming Game

Post by mickman »

anyone looking into creating a space sim.. should check out the 3D Radar system currently in development by " FX Force "

just google " Unity 3D Radar " The radar system now incorporates Oculus Rift support. Over the past month I've been messaging the developer in the hope of obtaining support for the Rift & now its full steam ahead.. Nice one FX Force

So, if any Oculus Rift Unity developers interested, join in on the chat over on the Unity forum as more input from fellow Rifters will help iron out any bugs... Currently the Radar system works very well with the Rift. I feel there is still room for a few Rift related features so take a look, test it out in a project & provide the guy with a little feedback...

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/79163-3D-Radar
Image Image

goodl
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Rift Rover - A Planetary TerraForming SIm ( in Beta )

Post by goodl »

I hope you develop this to fruition, it's one of the more interesting demos on the rift, I made myself a little cave and put some ambient music on... Out like a light.
mickman

Re: Rift Rover - A Planetary TerraForming SIm ( in Beta )

Post by mickman »

RiftRover Latest Update both win & mac versions... x-box controller (yes)

V-0.11 Alpha.

Download from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0x2vqsvz2bgi705/AnsP9PKQcf
Image Image

mickman

Re: V-Rover: TerraForming Simulator ... please Test

Post by mickman »

V-Rover is still in development.. I'm currently laid up in hospital .. no Wi-Fi here ( bad SkyDiving accident in W.A Australia )

I hope to update the Rover in coming weeks.... the game is still available to test at the above links.

On a brighter note: I did manage to introduce loads of skydivers at the event to the Oculus Rift ..... they absolutely dig it !
Image Image

Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: V-Rover: TerraForming Simulator ... please Test

Post by Fredz »

Good luck with your recovery, been in the same situation some months ago...

Return to “Oculus VR”