Affordable Portable Treadmill Simulator for VR

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
mscanfp
One Eyed Hopeful

Affordable Portable Treadmill Simulator for VR

Post by mscanfp »

Hey, everyone, my name is Mike. My brother Dan and I are planning to take an affordable portable treadmill simulator onto Kickstarter this week, and we were wondering if anyone had any advice for getting the word out... our device attaches to a user, allowing them to feel as if they are actually running and jogging, while they are only moving a couple of feet in any direction. And it fits in your drawer... any advice would truly be appreciated... I understand this isn't the place to advertise... so I'm really only interested in strategies on how to get the word out about something like this.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Affordable Portable Treadmill Simulator for VR

Post by Namielus »

You might want to start off by showing us your product and explain how its different from WizDish and Virtuix Omni + the diy omnidirectional treadmill that is being built here.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
mscanfp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mscanfp »

Is there anywhere on MTBS3d where its cool to ask people to check out your product... or idea... I know they frown on advertising, but I'm not sure if that applies to asking for people to check out a Kickstarter campaign... I'm not comfortable comparing ours to any others, because I'd inevitably seem like I was disparaging theirs, and that's not something I'd want to do... but I think what we've come up with is a portable, affordable way to simulate the feeling of natural running/jogging... with or without VR, though we've adapted it for use with VR... Even reading this back now I see that it might be annoying to someone who wants details, so to that I'd say, please wait a few days while we get our ducks in a row... we think it'll be worth it.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

If you have a device you wish to post about, probably just try to let us know the details in an unbiased way. IE, not an ad.

That way we can get an idea of what we are talking about...

You don't have to compare it to others, just state 'hi, i'm planning on releasing this on kickstarter this week', and describe the device.

I'm sure Neil will shut you down if it looks too much like an ad, but I don't think it would matter if its just an informative post.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Kickstarter projects are OK to discuss, but if you have any doubt please PM Neil and let him know what you are trying to do.

I would recommend explaining what the product is without giving too much away (if you are worried about that). Is it a passive or active device? How much will it cost? Do you have any pictures or videos of the device in action? Any details would help, as is there is not much to discuss.
AllOfTheApples!
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AllOfTheApples! »

This sounds awesome! Attaching to the user is and extremely (functionally) attractive. Portability and affordability are huge. Good luck! Please share more :D

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”