What is the latest/best Nvidia card to buy for S3d?

TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

What is the latest/best Nvidia card to buy for S3d?

Post by TheLostBrain »

Hey guys. Interested in doing pageflipping/shutter glasses 3d using the Nvidia 3d driver.

What would be the absolute best nvidia card to buy at this point with that in mind?
(PCI Express)

I'd love to buy a brand new highend card..but if it doesn't have support for S3d....what's the point.. :/

Thanks a ton for any help in the matter! :)

-TheLostBrain
holl5877
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by holl5877 »

Latest official support is for the GeForce 7 series. However, check out the forum on this page titled "NVIDIA Stereo Driver & Software Technical Support". People have reported getting newer GeForce cards to work.
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Depends what solution you use.

If it is dual output like iZ3D, don't get a card that uses internal SLI, or they won't support two outputs. a 9800GX2 is a good example of one that uses internal SLI
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: What is the latest/best Nvidia card to buy for S3d?

Post by cybereality »

TheLostBrain wrote:I'd love to buy a brand new highend card..but if it doesn't have support for S3d....what's the point.. :/
Not supporting shutter-glasses and not supporting stereo-3D are two different things.

There are more modern S3D solutions to pair with high-end cards such as the iz3D monitor, the Zalman Trimon, or the VR920.
The_Doctor
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by The_Doctor »

Wait for a while (1-2 months hopefully) for the new iz3d driver, it supports shutterglasses. Then depending on what it works for get that.
Bo_Fox
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bo_Fox »

8800 Ultra, man! Although the S-3D support for 8800GTX/Ultra is "unofficial", I was actually able to play Far Cry in perfect S-3D for the first time since 66.xx drivers from the 6800 era!

EDIT:.. Is the 8800 thread stickied yet???
8800GTX, 24" CRT (Sony GDM-FW900)
i7 920 @ 3.7GHz, Foxconn Bloodrage, WinXP-32 and Vista x64 SP2
3D shutters, 181.00 Forceware +162.50 S3D for WinXP

Other rig: 4870 1GB, i7 920 @ 4GHz, DFI T3eH8
24" LCD + IZ3D anaglyph, WinXP-32 and Win7 x64
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: What is the latest/best Nvidia card to buy for S3d?

Post by nubie »

cybereality wrote:
TheLostBrain wrote:I'd love to buy a brand new highend card..but if it doesn't have support for S3d....what's the point.. :/
Not supporting shutter-glasses and not supporting stereo-3D are two different things.

There are more modern S3D solutions to pair with high-end cards such as the iz3D monitor, the Zalman Trimon, or the VR920.
Don't forget Planar :P (maybe it is an old solution though :) )

The 8800GTS/GTX/Ultra based on the G80 chipset can be made to work shutter-glasses in Windows XP.

I recommend getting a 320mb 8800GTS for $90 because it really isn't much slower than the rest of them, and you can save your money to see what will work with the new cards, and who knows, maybe it will be plenty fast and you can wait for a good solution.

I had to sell my card because it still wouldn't support a Planar rig. I don't have any big CRT's or DLP's or shutter glasses, so it wasn't a good option for me.

The Ultra is "the fastest", basically it is an overclocked GTX though, so keep that in mind.
tru3d
One Eyed Hopeful

Updates to HighEnd Graphics Card Support

Post by tru3d »

Without a doubt - Nvidia 260 Series. MSI makes a reasonably priced one for about $240 online with 896mb DDR3 and PhysX on-board support. you can use this on vista with Either the Zalman monitor or download the new Iz3d 1.09 beta 2. Additionally, the Tridef 3D Game Launchpad supports new cards on XP or Vista with the latest Forceware drivers.

the 8800 GT's will lag pretty badly on titles like Crysis and Call of Duty 4 in S-3D on pretty much any 3D-Ready display because most of them are native to 1680x1050 or above.

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”