Wings of Prey, so close but Vireio stops after a second?

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Wings of Prey, so close but Vireio stops after a second?

Post by mbuehler »

Using the same settings as Dirt 2, I can get Wings of Prey to launch / warp / and even start playing, but then the screen stops updating except for the area under the radar. Any time I hit exit it will draw again for a second, then stop. Anybody having luck with this game? It is much closer to working then I've been able to get War Thunder :)
sgtjay5
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Wings of Prey, so close but Vireio stops after a second?

Post by sgtjay5 »

That's funny. I was just to start a new thread on the topic. I'm having the same issues I don't know how to proceed. Here is a pic of what's happening. I've tried using different game types, but to no avail. Yes...so close.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

Great minds :) I've been through all the usual tricks, disabled everything, tried random tweaks in the games ini file, just can't get it to run more then a second or so. Disable Vireio with num pad 0 and game is still running fine. Bringing Vireio back in brings up the screen it froze on earlier. Hmmmm....
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

Have you tried other game types in the profile? It's vaguely possible one of the other types might work. If not it will likely need a new type of it's own to encompass whatever programming fixes may be needed.

Try, 0, 10, 100, 201, 301, 401, 500, 601.
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

Will cycle through, thanks! Noticing side by side freezes, but not some of the other vireio modes?

Edit: Tried all numbers, no joy. Vireio gets weird on any split screen modes. Fine on all others. Hmmm...
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

For fun, if you want to see how good the 3D is in this game, do the following:

This video in side by side 3D, full width -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuBCy_zdDQg
Downloaded in 1080P from these guys (seem malware free...)
http://keep-tube.com/
Watch using this player with the Rift (select Rift mode for viewing) -
http://thevrhq.com/vrhq/2013/4/17/stere ... -mode.html

It has the best effects of any game I've seen on the Rift. We need to get this and War Thunder working :)
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

mbuehler wrote:It has the best effects of any game I've seen on the Rift. We need to get this and War Thunder working :)
I'd love to play War Thunder on the Rift but because it's an online game support really needs to come from the developer. The way Perception hooks into Direct3D is indistinguishable from any number of cheats/hacks and could get you banned.
Dakor
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Dakor »

ChrisJD wrote: I'd love to play War Thunder on the Rift but because it's an online game support really needs to come from the developer. The way Perception hooks into Direct3D is indistinguishable from any number of cheats/hacks and could get you banned.
Wow this looks interesting.. Did you already ask the developers for Oculus Rift support?
I will give it a try this evening.

PS: the IL-2 developers ordered a Rift and thinking about supporting it
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

I believe the War Thunder devs have a few Rifts on order, so they are at least looking into it. I hadn't thought about tripping an anticheat program, I'll have to ask about that. Given the lower res of the Rift I'd be quite happy with Wings of Prey offline, I'd just miss carrier landings, but would cope :)
digby5000
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by digby5000 »

mbuehler wrote:For fun, if you want to see how good the 3D is in this game, do the following:

This video in side by side 3D, full width -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuBCy_zdDQg
Downloaded in 1080P from these guys (seem malware free...)
http://keep-tube.com/
Watch using this player with the Rift (select Rift mode for viewing) -
http://thevrhq.com/vrhq/2013/4/17/stere ... -mode.html

It has the best effects of any game I've seen on the Rift. We need to get this and War Thunder working :)
This was literally the first game i thought of when the Rift was announced. I'll be watching this thread impatiently wishing there was something i could do to help.
sgtjay5
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sgtjay5 »

I tried fiddling with the code and I can't find where to start trying to get WOP to work. Yes, I said fiddling. Not really a graphics guy, learning though. More into the hardware. I have been able to produce several Rift images inside one side, though, but it still had the same effect on each image. I have tried the Oculus Overlay and made it work with Wings of Prey. Although awesome in it's own respect, it's not as sharp as WOP would be with Vireio. Anybody have any pointers on how this can be fixed? Well, the journey continues.
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

sgtjay5 wrote:I tried fiddling with the code and I can't find where to start trying to get WOP to work. Yes, I said fiddling. Not really a graphics guy, learning though. More into the hardware. I have been able to produce several Rift images inside one side, though, but it still had the same effect on each image. I have tried the Oculus Overlay and made it work with Wings of Prey. Although awesome in it's own respect, it's not as sharp as WOP would be with Vireio. Anybody have any pointers on how this can be fixed? Well, the journey continues.
You said it was working in WOP? I thought the overlay needed a stereo image to distort? I would really like to know how you got this working! :)
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

I believe the reason for the problem here is likely the same as the reason I posted for NS2 not working http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 38#p124725
sgtjay5
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sgtjay5 »

@mbuehler: In Oculus Overlay, there is an option to use 2d content. While in the program, press "Q" and make your adjustments according to the instructions in the Readme. I made one kill with it, then I had to turn it off. There is quite some lag with the video and the headtracking, using OpenTrack, was lagged as well. Perhaps it not being 6dof didn't help much either. That is easily fixable though. It's not going to be the experience you're looking for. For testing, it definitely can be used for what I need it for.

@ChrisJD: That would be a problem wouldn't it. So the freezing effect on the main image, but not on the radar screen could be caused by this? Quite interesting. I await your findings with NS2 and hopefully it could fix this game as well.
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

We got it working in War Thunder and Wings of Prey (slight lag, framerate not so good) but it is in 3D and looks pretty cool :) It wasn't with Vireio, but once they get that sorted it will be even better then this setup:

Launch Rift overlay 0.7 and full screen it on the rift.

Launch IZ3D (this provides the side by side 3d for War Thunder).

Launch FaceTrackNoIR, select the Rift and choose "FreeTrack 2.0" for the mode

Launch War Thunder in Windows mode, 1280 x 800, all settings up but shadows turned off (they only render in one eye, hurts your brain)

Set the active overlay window for the rift to be the window War Thunder (or Wings of Prey) is running in.

In War Thunder, set Zoom Axis to max in for 1 and max out for 2 (on keyboard) and set control to relative

Set "use head tracker zoom" to No

Now you just have to dial in the paralax / convergence / spacing / etc using the options both Overlay and IZ3D give you. What you end up with isn't perfect, but works good for flying around and experiencing things. Will try a dog fight with a fellow Rifter this evening in a private match :)
sgtjay5
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by sgtjay5 »

After several weeks of trying to get Wings of Prey working in Vireio, I have concluded that I have no clue what I'm doing. I have, however, been able to get Wings of Prey working on the Rift. I initially used Oculus Overlay and Opentrack, but found that I wanted a little more to start my project. I tried several shader injectors, but found that I was able to use MaterialDefender's pre-VorpX WarpInject and Opentrack to a pretty good degree. I've even been able to use it in War Thunder. It seemed like the other shader injectors produced the same effect as Vireio does, with having a frozen image in the foreground and the game working in the background only seen through the small radar screen. Granted, it's not Vireio or native quality, but now I'm able to start my project with a workable image. Hopefully, someone who knows what they're doing will be able get Wings of Prey working correctly. It would be awesome to use Vireio instead of a collection of other programs.
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

If you have a hydra you might want to pop over to my dirt 3 thread to grab the opentrack/ftnoir build that uses the hydra positional data to give 6dof tracking. Good luck getting virieo to work.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”