inter-pupillary distance IPD

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

inter-pupillary distance IPD

Post by Marulu »

Today I found out what my inter-pupillary distance is, so I can adjust the Rift to my eyes. I now am curious how to set the games supporting the Vireio driver up to work with my IPD.
How can I make the games render fitting to my IPD?

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: inter-pupillary distance IPD

Post by Neil »

Believer it or not, Baristan6 hasn't received his Rift yet! We'll figure something out.

Regards,
Neil
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

Thanks!

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Its just a matter of setting the correct separation and convergence. There is nothing special in terms of IPD.
Neil

Post by Neil »

cybereality wrote:Its just a matter of setting the correct separation and convergence. There is nothing special in terms of IPD.

Actually, I don't think that's correct. The SHOCT lines are there to estimate the IPD (it's not perfect, I know) and they play an important role right through:

Phase I: Increase separation so most distant object is no further apart (left/right) than your IPD (the SHOCT lines).
Phase II: Adjust convergence
Phase III: Compensate for the impact convergence has on the separation levels by again increasing/decreasing separation so the most distant object is again matching IPD. There could be some balancing with convergence here too, but it would likely be very minor.

So if there is a way to convert the IPD value to a SHOCT line equivalent, that would probably be very helpful. OR, we could continue to beef up the SHOCT line process so that knowing the exact IPD isn't important or beneficial.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

What I mean is that the only options are separation and convergence. There is not another IPD setting needed.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”