Cannot get Perception to work at all

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
AndrewZorn
One Eyed Hopeful

Cannot get Perception to work at all

Post by AndrewZorn »

I really hesistated to make a thread, but believe me, I'm desperate. I've spent a long time and messaged individual people about the issue, and nothing is helping.

I'm using the latest official and/or Beta 9 build. AMD 7950.

I start Perception (with admin rights) and try to launch Mirror's Edge (via /bin/MirrorsEdge.exe or Steam): absolutely no change at all.

Do the same, but try to launch Portal 2, and the game instantly crashes.

Please help, and thanks in advance!
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Re: Cannot get Perception to work at all

Post by Baristan6 »

Mirror's Edge doesn't work for me in 1.0.4
It does work in beta9.

Things to try.
  • Make sure there isn't an old version of d3d9.dll in "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Mirror's Edge\Binaries" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Mirror's Edge\Binaries"
    Check that Mirror's Edge is running in DirectX 9 not 10. "C:\Users\o_user\Documents\EA Games\Mirror's Edge\TdGame\Config\TdEngine.ini" "AllowD3D10=False"
    Rebooting can't hurt.
    Does it work in anaglyph or side-by-side?
    Search the registry for "Vireio" or "TargetExe". Is TargetExe "MirrorsEdge.exe". Is "BasePath" pointing to the directory with the correct version of Vireio.
That's all I can think of ATM.
AndrewZorn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AndrewZorn »

Can't wait to try, thanks for your help!
AndrewZorn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AndrewZorn »

- No old d3d9.dll in "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Mirror's Edge\Binaries", or rather, the Steam equivalent. Looks like you provided the same path twice?
- DX10 is already disabled.
- Rebooted several times.
- Doesn't work in side-by-side.
- Changed TargetExe, though I do not understand this... isn't Perception supposed to handle any game that is run, not just one set?
- Basepath points to correct directory (doesn't have to be anything specific, correct?).

Still nothing. It's so frustrating getting an Oculus Rift so early, but only being able to use it with TF2 and the Unity stuff. I would think I'm doing something fundamentally wrong if the process wasn't so simple.

Just to be clear, are these the only steps?
- Download Perception
- Unizp
- Run Perception, make two selections if necessary
- Run game
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

AndrewZorn wrote: - Changed TargetExe, though I do not understand this... isn't Perception supposed to handle any game that is run, not just one set?
- Basepath points to correct directory (doesn't have to be anything specific, correct?).
TargetExe is the last exe Vireio tries to inject it's d3d9.dll into. Changeing it does nothing, but if it is not "MirrorsEdge.exe" then Vireio never tried to inject.
If TargetExe wasn't "MirrorsEdge.exe" copying d3d9.dll and libfreespace.dll into "Mirror's Edge\Binaries" is worth a try.
Basepath tells Vireio where it's base dir is. It should set itself whenever Perception.exe is run.
AndrewZorn wrote: Just to be clear, are these the only steps?
- Download Perception
- Unizp
- Run Perception, make two selections if necessary
- Run game
Those are the only steps.
AndrewZorn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AndrewZorn »

Manually copying the files worked. Any idea why this is? Is there any information I could grab that could fix a potential issue?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Mirror's Edge was troublesome to get to work. Sometimes it would work perfectly (for example just launching from Steam), sometimes it would need to be launched from the game directory, other time need to copy the dlls, etc. Not sure why it was such a PITA. Moving to different computers can also get different results. Still not sure what the x factor is.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”