Structure ideas?

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Structure ideas?

Post by Neil »

Hello everyone,

I've been having fun with the Perception drivers. There are only a handful of games truly supported right now, but a mix of game mods and driver profiles makes this a helpful offering - especially since this is real 3D versus 2D+Depth.

As a fellow gamer, the biggest problems I have here are that:

1. It's near impossible to easily find the latest version of the downloadable drivers.
2. There are two components at work: the drivers and the required mods to make the game more VR friendly.
3. Are profiles easy to add and enhance?
4. I think the included manual is out of date. There are user friendly software features that should be added too.

I really don't like that most of the Perception driver interactivity is happening in a single thread. It's just not practical.

Could members suggest some forum structures that would help the drivers and our enjoyment of the drivers? I'm really impressed with what I've been able to accomplish with the software so far; I just think we need to be more organized with this.

We also have the Immersipedia Wiki which has been underused. Could this be a helpful outlet for developing the drivers?

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Re: Structure ideas?

Post by cybereality »

1. The latest official version will be hosted on my site (vireio.com) or mirrored on vire.io (community run site). The reason I haven't updated the files is because of license issues with using the Rift SDK, but this should be sorted out soon.

2. Yes, some games will require tweaks or mods in order to look best. For example, there is a mod for L4d that lets you increase the FOV. Or in Skyrim you must disable shadows.

3. XML profiles rely on there being code in the driver to support the game/engine you are trying to play. Although editing the XML is easy, there is a good chance the game won't work without special code.

4. Not sure how you mean "out of date". Was there something that was incorrect or not clear?

Also, I don't think putting up new sub-forums is the answer to this. It just makes things more confusing and harder to find.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Well, at a minimum, we should have the forum divvied up into threads. A single thread for the whole driver set just isn't the way to go.

I think a VR game mods forum might make sense. Mods for reduced or adjustable UI is critical, I think.

The function keys in the manual don't appear to be clear. For example, F1/SHIFT-F1 is a zooming function, but the manual says it's for screenshots. Is separation and camera offset the same thing, or different (e.g. is separation just pushing the projection matrix, or is there camera movement happening as well. Is camera movement necessary, or does it have specific intentions)?

Regards,
Neil
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

Neil wrote:Well, at a minimum, we should have the forum divvied up into threads. A single thread for the whole driver set just isn't the way to go.

I think a VR game mods forum might make sense. Mods for reduced or adjustable UI is critical, I think.

The function keys in the manual don't appear to be clear. For example, F1/SHIFT-F1 is a zooming function, but the manual says it's for screenshots. Is separation and camera offset the same thing, or different (e.g. is separation just pushing the projection matrix, or is there camera movement happening as well. Is camera movement necessary, or does it have specific intentions)?

Regards,
Neil
The F1 not being screenshot is only in my test build, and I didn't change the documentation.

offset and separation are not the same think.
offset - shifts both eyes the same direction.
separation - the distance between eyes.

I think a wikia would be better. There is way too much confusion about Vireio.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Do you want to use Immersipedia (http://www.mtbs3d.com/wiki)?

It's there...just has to be used.

Regards,
Neil
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

I started the wiki for Vireio Perception.
http://www.mtbs3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vireio
I have little wiki authoring abilities.
Hopefully someone else can help make it readable/useful.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Nice! It's a good start thanks!

Regards,
Neil
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

I think the structure was good as long as people would create a new thread for each game...this single thread stuff is a drag... can't find what I want...
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

I agree I think each game supported should have its own thread.

Also hopefully when the software matures a bit more, it gets its own GUI instead of having to deal with the F-Keys, or better yet, some sort of calibration you go through for each game to get it looking its best with the driver. This could be its own thread too.

On the Vireio wiki page, for each game it supports, a list of recommended mods and download links would also be ace!

Baristan6 is the man here, he has taking this thing under his wing and improved it greatly. Well done good sir! Can't wait to get my Rift and play some Skyrim. You deserve a nice pat on the back and some credit in the readme at the very least! Not forgetting Cyber of course who laid the foundation for this.... VR is so exciting!

Return to “Development / General Discussion”