Real problem with ED shutter glasses (could be hardware)

efendy
One Eyed Hopeful

Real problem with ED shutter glasses (could be hardware)

Post by efendy »

Hi
Yesterday my second hand ED wireless shutter glasses I bought from ebay arrived. I bought two pairs which came with an inverter. I connected them correctly and connected projector to PC. I use a DVI to VGA adapter from GPU (asus 7600gt x2 DVIs).I installed 91.31 drivers. in the game I turn the 3D on and it does this separation thing so i assume 3D works ok. But Glasses won't work! I am not sure whether batteries are ok since it's second hand. I checked whether ir is coming from leds by using magnetic disk inside a floppy diskette (is this a reliable method?) and also cell phone camera thing I read in the forums. no IR is visible as far as I can see.
what would be the problem?
Should I use a multimeter to check 3 pin connector coming out of dongle? would there be something else preventing them working (a software issue?)
thanks a lot for your answers!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I would get a fresh set of batteries first. That could be it. If you are seeing a double image then the software works. Might be something with the dongle too, but its hard to say.
efendy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by efendy »

Thanks
Yeah I suspect that too. I mean there could be something with the dongle. I'll get the batteries now and test but not very optimistic about that. I'll open up the dongle to check but before that I'll check pins with a multimeter.
any more ideas are welcome
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Real problem with ED shutter glasses (could be hardware)

Post by android78 »

efendy wrote:Hi
Yesterday my second hand ED wireless shutter glasses I bought from ebay arrived. I bought two pairs which came with an inverter. I connected them correctly and connected projector to PC. I use a DVI to VGA adapter from GPU (asus 7600gt x2 DVIs).I installed 91.31 drivers. in the game I turn the 3D on and it does this separation thing so i assume 3D works ok. But Glasses won't work! I am not sure whether batteries are ok since it's second hand. I checked whether ir is coming from leds by using magnetic disk inside a floppy diskette (is this a reliable method?) and also cell phone camera thing I read in the forums. no IR is visible as far as I can see.
what would be the problem?
Should I use a multimeter to check 3 pin connector coming out of dongle? would there be something else preventing them working (a software issue?)
thanks a lot for your answers!
I assume that you are using a CRT, not an LCD screen?
If you have a multimeter available then you should be able to turn off the S3D, check the voltage (of DDC pin) then turn on the S3D and you should see the voltage jump. I believe it should read about 2.5V (DC) when you are getting the page flipping signal correctly output.
efendy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by efendy »

Android thanks
I am using a dlp projector atm. I just bought a couple of batteries. I'll try them now. you know there are three holes on the dongle where three pins from ir adapter (revelator?) goes in. which pins should I check? if I hold the dongle so the 4th plastic pin points down, which pisn should I check the voltage of?
thank you
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

efendy wrote:Android thanks
I am using a dlp projector atm. I just bought a couple of batteries. I'll try them now. you know there are three holes on the dongle where three pins from ir adapter (revelator?) goes in. which pins should I check? if I hold the dongle so the 4th plastic pin points down, which pisn should I check the voltage of?
thank you
I believe it's the one in the middle is the stereo sunc pin. So looking into the Male end should be something like (excuse the crude ASCII):

Code: Select all

__
       _/[]\_
+12V  /o    o\ Gnd
 Sync \  o   /
       \_/\_/
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

hi!

to check if your emitter is sending the ir signal just look at it trough a cellphone camera or any wbcam. if its on you will se a white spon on the camera.

if changing the batteries doesnt help try to point a tv remote to the glasses and see if anything happens. if you have luck and the wavelenght of the remote is correct they shouldd start shutter. ..

i hope this helps to figure out at least where to search..

regards

igor
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

efendy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by efendy »

thanks a lot guys, you were great help.

I checked voltages inverter plugged in, there was nothing. then I unplugged that and checked dongle. I tried every possible arrangement and I got voltages from 2.5 to 4.5V. i plugged the relevator to the dongle directly and it worked. so there is a problem with the inverter.
I wore glasses upside down and checked Nvidia test thing. and starwars battlefront. even at 60hz and 800x600 (projector is benq pb2120), there were a lot of ghosting unfortunately. flicker as well. But I am glad at least glasses worked. I am waiting for sharp xr-10x, it should come this week. after that I'd be happier I hope :)
thanks for all the help
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

Glad you got it working Now Aboutthe Sharp XR10x?? There has been alot of Discussion about this Projector and when or if you already got it was it in Fact a XR-10X and Not the XR10-XL??

If you get the XR10-XL you will NOT be able to game at 85HZ and I would send it back and get a BenQ 721, that has been getting great Reviews in 3D!! I had Bought a XR10-x And they sent me a XL Model instead, Altho Gaming at 75 HZ does NOT bother me Most People have a problem with it ;)

Here is the List of 3D Compatible Proj:

http://www.3dmovielist.com/projectors.html
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
efendy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by efendy »

Hi there

I received the projector last week but it doesn't have a lamp that's why I got it cheap. Now I've ordered a bare bulb from ywh (you can contact him through diyaudio.com). I am gonna rebuild the lamp with that bulb. Yep I checked that and it's xr-10x not the xl, so no problems I think :D
There are three things about relamping this projector in case anybody is interested in relamping. Bare bulb despite the most of the other bulbs ($80 + $5 postage) is just $40 + $5 shipment. Ywh states that bulb has got 70% brightness of the original lamp and in my opinion this lamp is one of the hardest to change the bulb.
Last week there was a Benq mp720p on ebay.com.au which gone for $300 with 500 hours lamp life left on it. I missed it because I was skiing at that time :( so baaad!
I'll write the results here when I change the bulb.
Peace
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

OK I just hope you get it working 3D on the Big Screen is really Cool. What size screen do you plan on having?? I just went with a 45" screen and sit about 2-3 Feet away from it looks reall good ;)
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
efendy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by efendy »

Lamp should arrive next week monday or something hopefully. Hope it works. my study is about that size. I wont be able to put any screen at the moment. but I have a very good white wall :) i'll project it there. even with panasonic ptax200 I use our wall in living room, I am sure I am missing a lot of detail :(

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”