Recently Joined, Tridef experience so far

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Recently Joined, Tridef experience so far

Post by Killigath »

Howdy everyone,

I'm new to MTBS i just signed up here and have been surfing around the forums. Love the site lots of good information here.
I got into 3D just recently when I realized my new 61" Samsung DLP" was 3D compatible. I found their link to the Tridef (DDD) software/glasses and was hooked. I got everything setup and working over the weekend and just wanted to share some of my experiences with everyone.

Before I go any further here is my setup:

Samsung HLT6187S 61" LED DLP (using DVI-to-HDMI cable, HDMI-3/DVI input)
P4 Quad-Core 2.51ghz / 2GB DDR3 1333 / EVGA 8800GTS 512mb
Running Dual Screens in Clone mode for 22" Samsung LCD and Samsung DLP set to 1920x1080
Tridef Starter Pack (2 glasses/emitter/softare) / WinDVD 9 Trial version / WoW and Crysis DDD Drivers

I initially had some codec issues for DVD playback but got them all resolved when I installed WinDVD 9.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. 2D to 3D DVD conversion -

This is less than stellar, however I knew going in that true 2D to 3D conversion would more than likely not be comparable to content that was made for 3D. The 3D effect makes the "whole screen" seem to pop out rahter than just certian things on screen. I found that the effect worked a little better on CGI animated movies than real video or at least it looks better to me.

2. 3D WMA Movies from http://www.3dtv.at/Movies/Index_en.aspx

Downloaded all these 3D clips and had to add the Tridef extentions on them. Either -lr or -ab depending on which ones you dowload. These are great tester clips. I especially like the sky diving one. The divers really seem to pop out of the screen.
This really does show the potential of the technology. Even though the movies are in lower resolutions, when viewed thru the tridef glasses they look HD. Especially the ones in 720p or 1080p. All of them look great. One thing I did notice was certian up close effects did cause some eye strain, but on the whole the 3D was clear and enjoyable.

3. 3D PopVert and Photo Samples from http://www.tridef.com/download/latest.html

Most of the still photos are good and show good 3D effects. I particularly like the DDD Tatto image. The one bad one was the PoPVert image of the world(globe). I dont know what was wrong, but the left and right images were way too far apart. I never could merge them into one image even when crossing my eyes thru the glasses (major hetache, beware).

4. Google Earth 3D - (Must download google earth software first, decent PC and graphics card needed to make this enjoyable).

This is very very cool. http://www.tridef.com/promotions/google-earth.html
You have to turn on the 3d buildings in google earths settigns. Not all maps are 3d, just mountains, certian big cities, and landmarks. The above link has a few fly-thrus of certian locations. Everest and The Grand Canyon have a very nice 3D effect check em out if you have Tridef.

5. 3D Gaming

I have only had time to play Crysis for a little while. The default Auto Focus setting was Basic. With this setting the gun/hands in first person mode was split entirely too much. This made the game simply unbearable to play. I changed the setting to Focal point Center and it made the game playable. However the green crosshairs are still split apart, similary to how the gun was, but not to that extreme extent. If anyone has a Samsung DLP using Tridef I would appreciate any settings reccomendations. I will contiue to play with it and post if I get the crosshair issue cleared up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a couple links I found useful for changing setting in the Tridef Software.
In Game Hotkeys for 3D gaming - http://www.tridef.com/3dgames/control.html
Media player (DVD Playback) Hotkeys - http://www.tridef.com/media/player/navigation.html#
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

hi! welcome!

i didnt use the ddd drivers, so i cant help you.. but welcome anyway and great post!

;)
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Greetings and salutations!

Sounds like you have a pretty nice setup there. Thanks for the link too, I didn't realize 3dtv had posted some new videos. I'm excited to check out that sky-diving one you mentioned.

Anyway, you should definitely stick around, this is a very exciting time to be involved in stereo-3d. The future is now!
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

Welcome Killigath. Glad you joined the community and hope you enjoy your new purchase! I have had a lot of experience with the Samsung and DDD drivers and will try and answer what I know:
Killigath wrote:1. 2D to 3D DVD conversion -

This is less than stellar, however I knew going in that true 2D to 3D conversion would more than likely not be comparable to content that was made for 3D. The 3D effect makes the "whole screen" seem to pop out rahter than just certian things on screen. I found that the effect worked a little better on CGI animated movies than real video or at least it looks better to me.
I really had to play with this a lot to get satisfactory results and, as you already know, the effect isn't nearly as engaging when compared directly to native S3D files (especially the latest ones posted AT 3DTV.at). With a little tweaking they can be viewable. Make sure that ultrasmooth is the algorithm being used as this worked best for me. Also make sure that the separation and convergence settings are minimal, meaning just enough to give the feeling of depth. Try not to over adjust these as it just makes the effect worse in my opinion. The effect does vary wildly based on content as well. You may want to try your luck with other, ahem..., downloadable content. :wink: I have also had excellent results playing back in game videos that were recorded with Fraps. Better than no 3D at all!
Killigath wrote: 3. 3D PopVert and Photo Samples from http://www.tridef.com/download/latest.html

Most of the still photos are good and show good 3D effects. I particularly like the DDD Tatto image. The one bad one was the PoPVert image of the world(globe). I dont know what was wrong, but the left and right images were way too far apart. I never could merge them into one image even when crossing my eyes thru the glasses (major hetache, beware).
Make sure the file is named correctly (xyz-rl.jps is different than xyz-lr.jps).
Killigath wrote:5. 3D Gaming

I have only had time to play Crysis for a little while. The default Auto Focus setting was Basic. With this setting the gun/hands in first person mode was split entirely too much. This made the game simply unbearable to play. I changed the setting to Focal point Center and it made the game playable. However the green crosshairs are still split apart, similary to how the gun was, but not to that extreme extent. If anyone has a Samsung DLP using Tridef I would appreciate any settings reccomendations. I will contiue to play with it and post if I get the crosshair issue cleared up.
I have been playing it with autoconvergence turned off. May want to give the DDD laser sight a shot instead of the in game crosshairs. I will give it a shot later as well. I hope you enjoy the forum! A lot of great guys here with many years of experience with S3D!
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

I have been playing it with auto convergence turned off. May want to give the DDD laser sight a shot instead of the in game crosshairs. I will give it a shot later as well. I hope you enjoy the forum! A lot of great guys here with many years of experience with S3D!
- Pixel

Yeah, I finally had time to mess with it last night. Got good results with the following settings.

Auto Focus: Off
Scene Depth: 100
Percent In Front: 75

At those settings the gun is focused properly as are the crosshairs. If you adjust it either right or left one of the two become out of focus. The 3D effect is still present on trees/rocks/trash, and is comfortable, but not extreme. The only slight issue I have is when flashlight is engaged. Lighting only comes from the left eye and makes a cool effect on screen, however it can cause some unnecessary eye strain. I could probably turn lighting effects off in the settings somewhere.

Hmm I may try and turn off the crosshairs so I can adjust the 3d settings to make everything pop out more. But the above settings make the game playable.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”