Canon MREAL mixed reality system

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
hast
Cross Eyed!

Canon MREAL mixed reality system

Post by hast »

I guess a lot of people here have seen this already, but I couldn't find any discussion about it:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/office/standa ... y_Overview

It's not cheap at $125k, but it's still kind of interesting.

There are a number of hands on videos about it as well:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/21/cano ... -hands-on/

Seems like it's using small screens and while the cameras are in the "correct place" for the eyes there is no "see through" optical path. So everything you see is fed from the cameras through a PC and then back into the system. It's kind of difficult to see in the videos, but it seem like there is quite a bit of lag.

It will be interesting to see what similar things to this people will do with the Oculus. Although putting a webcam on it and feeding through the PC will likely also have the same lag.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Canon MREAL mixed reality system

Post by zalo »

They had a demo of (an earlier form of) this at Siggraph. The demo consisted of viewing a car and walking around it, and then stepping inside the (fake) car and sitting on a (real) car seat.

The tracking was pretty robust, but it was laggy and the field of view in the headset sucked. It was like one of those eMagin z800 visors.

In my recollection, there were not any of those AR markers. I wonder if those help at all.
Evenios
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Canon MREAL mixed reality system

Post by Evenios »

ah glad someone else posted this was about to.......yeah it looks interesting but the 3d graphics in the video sucks. not even as good as some games are (the car for example) but then again canon is never known for 3d graphics. its a nice idea but like you said the feild of view is limited and i imagine it would be pretty pricey but still a nice concept. needs work i imagine. could be useful for businesses more then consumers at the time being.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”