BioShock Infinite and Vireio

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

BioShock Infinite and Vireio

Post by squibbfire »

Can we expect some updates to the driver when BioShock Infinite comes out?
I really hope so!:)
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: BioShock Infinite and Vireio

Post by cybereality »

I did try for a bit to get the first Bioshock working, but I could not get it looking good. It was very close to working at some point, but it had strange errors (some objects would be 3D, others would not, etc.). I figured other Unreal games would work after getting Mirror's Edge and UT3 mostly working, but that is not the case. It seems each game can use the engine differently and an all-in-one solution doesn't work good.

Anyway, I think the new Bioshock Infinite would be a great game to play with the Rift, hopefully it won't be too hard to get working.
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

Bought Bioshock Infinite and played it for the first time last week (as we all did) and I just kept saying to myself "if only this was on the rift, how amazing would that be?". Anyways if there is anything we can do to help let us know. It would be an amazing game for the OR.

Thank you for your hard work so far!
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

stevetb wrote:Bought Bioshock Infinite and played it for the first time last week (as we all did) and I just kept saying to myself "if only this was on the rift, how amazing would that be?". Anyways if there is anything we can do to help let us know. It would be an amazing game for the OR.

Thank you for your hard work so far!
I know I feel the same way..I wish I knew more about coding and developing!...it would be cool for a shortened youtube tutorial on how to do this!
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

I'm still holding out hope for this. What an experience this would be.
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

I think the first step would have to be getting DX10 / DX11 proxying to work with Vireio, since Bioshock Infinite doesn't support DX9. I think VorpX supports this game though, so it should at least be possible.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Patience! :lol:

Regards,
Neil
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

Yeah, vorpx supposedly supports it, so at least you'll have one possible option.
Neil

Post by Neil »

spire8989 wrote:Yeah, vorpx supposedly supports it, so at least you'll have one possible option.

If we are talking about true stereoscopic 3D rendering, GREAT! If it's 2D+Depth to mimic S-3D, then we aren't comparing apples to apples. Patience! 8-)

Regards,
Neil
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

I don't want to get into the VorpX discussion here, but I have yet to see any demo or screenshots released with their driver. Not calling this vaporware yet (VorpX) but the Vireio Perception driver is available today, WITH screenshot / videos / and demo software.

I know everyone is working to get Bioshock Infiinte working as we all want to experience this on the Rift. The wait is just killing me though :)

Oh and the wait for my Rift to arrive :P
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

From the description on the vorpx website, it is 2d+depth. I'd use it if there are no other solution.
I'm wondering if it is possible to use the ddd drivers with the rift somehow, since they have support for infinite.
Neil

Post by Neil »

stevetb wrote:I don't want to get into the VorpX discussion here, but I have yet to see any demo or screenshots released with their driver. Not calling this vaporware yet (VorpX) but the Vireio Perception driver is available today, WITH screenshot / videos / and demo software.

I know everyone is working to get Bioshock Infiinte working as we all want to experience this on the Rift. The wait is just killing me though :)

Oh and the wait for my Rift to arrive :P

I too don't want to cover that in this forum, though I'm sure they'll make a positive contribution to the VR driver world.

Setting Bioshock Infinite aside for a moment, what really makes me excited about Vireio Perception is it's free, some sharp minds have been volunteering their personal time into it, and with each build, all kinds of crazy and exciting ideas are being put into play to make the drivers more and more VR appropriate. This is one of the coolest things MTBS has been attached to, and we are really blessed to have the participation of a community like this. It really is amazing to watch this unfold in the positive way it has. It's good karma!

Regards,
Neil
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

Neil,

While offering this driver for free at this point in time is very noble I think there needs to come a time in development when it would be appropriate to charge for this software. Right now is not the best time but as the rift catches on and demand for additional games increases I think setting a price, like $50, would be very appropriate.

Another thing the community would likely to be interested in now is seeing a roadmap of game support. Giving us hope for future game support or just knowing a particular game (say Bad Company 2) is possible / unlikely for the future.

Maybe a community vote? Just a thought

Great work and once I get my rift it will be a real treat to use this driver.

Thank you to the team working hRd on this project, we really appreciate the effort.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

@stevetb - I just wonder how you would distribute the profits to those who contributed? I think it likely to ruffle more then a few feathers, not to mention open the door for possible litigation.
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

android78 wrote:@stevetb - I just wonder how you would distribute the profits to those who contributed? I think it likely to ruffle more then a few feathers, not to mention open the door for possible litigation.
Understood, if indeed this is a group of 20+ contributing members I can see how it could get difficult to funds distributed. A smaller group would be easier to manage financially. Another possibility is always a donation level package as well as a free version.

For litigation, it's always a possibity with any venture. Oculus faces these challenges as well. When it gains traction there will be patent trolls (even larger patent holders) who will want a piece of the pie for patents they had applied for over the years. So there is always the possibility of litigation, as there is with most ventures in life.

Just trying to help..........
Neil

Post by Neil »

Thank you for the positive gesture.

While it's something to think about, this would open up ethical considerations that require serious thought and internal discussion. Right now, we just want to release the best VR drivers out there and we are grateful for the continued traffic and interest in our community's work.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

To be honest, I don't think the software is worth $50 at this point, and this is one of the reasons I chose to open-source the code rather than turning it into a product. It's a great proof-of-concept but its very far from commercial software like the DDD driver, for example. Maybe it could be that good one day, I would love to see that. But it's not there quite yet. It would also require a lot of effort to get to that point.

I also think there is a lot more value for the community to have a free, open-sourced project rather than a close-source commercial entity. People will be free to experiment, add support for oddball DIY headsets and trackers, and all kind of cool stuff like that. There is a lot of value there. And I think it keeps more with the spirit of this new maker / DIY movement that is becoming more popular. So I would hope this alone would be enough to motivate people to work on the project, but I can understand how money can be a motivator as well.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I also think there is a lot more value for the community to have a free, open-sourced project rather than a close-source commercial entity.
I totally agree Cyber. While $50 isn't much, I'd much rather see it open source and easily modifiable, than locked down. Its really nice to see good open source stuff, and seeing people contributing to a project and making it fit their needs.
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

Great news today on the DX11 support with screenshots of Bioshock Infinite. Looks like the driver is not far away from seeing this on our rifts. Great news for all!

Return to “Development / General Discussion”