3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: cool video about the history of VR

Post by cybereality »

Wow! That was awesome.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Best video I've ever seen on this subject, really great find ! It pretty well summarize why previous attempts at VR HMDs have failed, and why the Oculus Rift is the best candidate to change that.
Krenzo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Krenzo »

Ugh, watching that reminds me of how bad VR was in the '90s and puts a damper on my enthusiasm for the Rift.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Whats interesting is that the guys behind Forte continued on and became Vuzix, yet the current best headset Vuzix has is only 35 degrees FOV (while the VFX-1 was 45 degrees). What happened there?
SartreFan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SartreFan »

cybereality wrote:Whats interesting is that the guys behind Forte continued on and became Vuzix, yet the current best headset Vuzix has is only 35 degrees FOV (while the VFX-1 was 45 degrees). What happened there?

That one is pretty puzzling. Have you ever tried a vuzix headset? I've almost purchased one at least 3-4 times and always have talked myself out of it because of lackluster reviews
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I've tried a few Vuzix products.

I had the VR920, which I thought was a very good product at the time and for the price. Looking back, it did have tracking problems and obviously the resolution wasn't great (VGA) but it had good support originally when it worked with the old Nvidia driver.

Later I got the Wrap 310, which was nice for iPod video viewing and I only payed $200 so I can't complain.

Most recently I had (and sold) the Wrap 1200VR and I felt like Vuzix really dropped the ball on this one. The optics were a step down from previous Wrap models and the picture quality was not what you would expect from a $600 device. It did work well with the DDD and (RIP) Iz3D drivers, and Youtube, etc. but the SBS format lowered the already questionable picture quality to sub-par levels. Ultimately it was just not worth the money, and even now less so with the Sony HMZ. Granted, I did have some fun with it while I had it, and I liked the portable form factor, but it just was not priced to match the quality.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”